HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:14 AM

This building is actually turning out quite well. I definitely like it much more than the other one.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:28 PM

A good break from the never ending glass in the city

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
A good break from the never ending glass in the city
Do we really have "never ending glass" in Philly? Aside from the 4 tallest, there aren't that many skyscrapers that are all glass. Heck, I would bet that the majority of them aren't primarily glass. The only big glass ones I can think of are the Cira buildings, the Murano, Blue Cross, and Ritz-Carlton Residences. We still have 3 Logan, Mellon, Commerce Square, PSFS, the St. James, everything from the Art Deco era, etc.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Do we really have "never ending glass" in Philly? Aside from the 4 tallest, there aren't that many skyscrapers that are all glass. Heck, I would bet that the majority of them aren't primarily glass. The only big glass ones I can think of are the Cira buildings, the Murano, Blue Cross, and Ritz-Carlton Residences. We still have 3 Logan, Mellon, Commerce Square, PSFS, the St. James, everything from the Art Deco era, etc.
Fair point. I think I was taking modern architecture in general and trying to apply it to Philly, which doesn't always work.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:36 PM

Our skyline is awesome, but I think we are on the verge of having too much glass. I hope the next highrise or skyscraper is constructed of something else. I actually would really like a tall, fairly ordinary looking non glass building like the Aon Center to appear next. Something like its simple elegance would be a welcome change to the complex glass structures that are starting to dominate the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:13 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I don't mind glass skin if the design is done right and it's high quality glass. The problem is the ones that were recently built in the last 1-4 years are meh. Basically a glass box or rectangle sitting upright. Nothing special about them except for the landlord to collect rent from renters. The buildings don't make a statement nor do the renter care too much on what's on the outside as oppose to the interiors and amenities that the buildings offer. However, there are plenty of excellent examples from other cities on this forum network that exemplify that (e.g., NYC, Jersey City has quite a few to name them).

We don't have the problem of having a "glass" problem currently. I think if 5-10 new skyscrapers get off the ground each years for the next 5-10 years, then I think we can re-assess on whether the use of glass skin is a problem. The city can certainly absorb many more new builds. SY and 30ths station master plans are certainly the test case for the next round of construction builds for us, when it happens. We will be watching!

Last edited by iheartphilly; Mar 15, 2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: add'l context

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:25 PM

I think we might have a blue-ish glass problem if anything. A little more green-ish, gold-ish, and black glass would spice things up a bit. If we do end up having at least two supertall-type buildings in Schuylkill Yards, I hope we can get a black and gold.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
I think we might have a blue-ish glass problem if anything. A little more green-ish, gold-ish, and black glass would spice things up a bit. If we do end up having at least two supertall-type buildings in Schuylkill Yards, I hope we can get a black and gold.
Yeah I'd still prefer non glass but black wouldn't be as bad.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 3:08 AM

The renderings of Schuylkill Yards show the glass on the tallest tower to be more gold than anything else. That should be good, because there's nothing but glass planned in that whole area. It would be great if we got non-blue glass, though. I will agree on that.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:25 PM

Well , at least no one here has suggested building high rise towers out of wood , like in some other locations around the world ......

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:26 PM

Went to Mom's and took a walk down the pedestrian walkway that's open:

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 12:43 AM

This is literally putting Gallery 2.0 to shame.

Such an interesting mix of materials and all around good execution.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:46 AM

This development is really turning out great. The different buildings work very well together. Looking forward to hearing more about the second tower and seeing some interior renders in the coming months.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
This development is really turning out great. The different buildings work very well together. Looking forward to hearing more about the second tower and seeing some interior renders in the coming months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
This is literally putting Gallery 2.0 to shame.

Such an interesting mix of materials and all around good execution.
Agreed.

Fingers crossed that this is successful both from a retail and residential standpoint and the developer moves full steam ahead with the other properties adjacent: the Girard hotel and the block-long eyesore building that is the 1100 block of Chestnut.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:49 PM

This thing really sets the standard and, despite failed concepts like the old Chestnut Street Mall, reasserts the importance of having some pedestrian only routes in the city. The activity in the passageways between buildings will add a bit of Brussels' Rue des Bouchers to the area.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:43 PM

Glass is really a neutral material. Therefore it's important for glass buildings to have a good design. When a building is designed essentially as a box and then skinned with glass, of course it's not going to look great. FMC and Cira Center are great examples of glass skinned buildings done right.

I do agree that the blue/silver glass is getting a bit old. I'm disappointed in CTC's skin - the model that was on display gave the appearance of a darker, almost black colored glass, which would have been really cool.

What I'd really, really like to see is a 700+ foot Art Deco tower (think 40 Wall Street) but I think we missed the boat on that. The biggest casualty from the Gentleman's Agreement is a lack of early 20th century limestone skyscrapers (500+ ft). There are plenty under 500 feet, but they just don't make much of an impact on our skyline.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

What I'd really, really like to see is a 700+ foot Art Deco tower (think 40 Wall Street) but I think we missed the boat on that. The biggest casualty from the Gentleman's Agreement is a lack of early 20th century limestone skyscrapers (500+ ft). There are plenty under 500 feet, but they just don't make much of an impact on our skyline.
A 700 ft Lewis Tower would be bad ass.

(source: phillyskyline.com)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:

I don't remember who or when a post on here pointed out that there is only ONE tower in the 600' range , that being the old Blue Cross
building . Once upon a time there was to be a second twin tower along side but it was eventually replaced by some 300+ ' midget that
really belongs at a different location , so I think 700+ ' may not be a priority for some time ........

But back to the page about the Ludlow ...... I love it , just a shame it isn't 700+' ....

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Glass is really a neutral material. Therefore it's important for glass buildings to have a good design. When a building is designed essentially as a box and then skinned with glass, of course it's not going to look great. FMC and Cira Center are great examples of glass skinned buildings done right.

I do agree that the blue/silver glass is getting a bit old. I'm disappointed in CTC's skin - the model that was on display gave the appearance of a darker, almost black colored glass, which would have been really cool.

In New York they are currently building "new" Art Deco but probably with materials and designs that are too expensive to use here. Like 111 W 57th Street's bronze and terracotta facade (there are some copycats in Brooklyn, though, that aren't for the ultra rich that still look pretty good). I wish they would at least change the skin on some of the new construction all glass buildings and mix it up like you said. Is it more expensive to go with a different color or is it purely lack of imagination? Like on 702 Sansom, if the design is now as good as it will get, I'd at least like to see a greyscale to the skin instead of ubiquitous blue glass.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 5:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
In New York they are currently building "new" Art Deco but probably with materials and designs that are too expensive to use here. Like 111 W 57th Street's bronze and terracotta facade (there are some copycats in Brooklyn, though, that aren't for the ultra rich that still look pretty good). I wish they would at least change the skin on some of the new construction all glass buildings and mix it up like you said. Is it more expensive to go with a different color or is it purely lack of imagination? Like on 702 Sansom, if the design is now as good as it will get, I'd at least like to see a greyscale to the skin instead of ubiquitous blue glass.
Probably not so much that the materials or designs are too expensive here, but that they can rent/lease out the building for whatever uses at a higher dollar amounts to justify the use of those materials or design cost. I also think construction labor cost is comparable.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Mar 22, 2018 at 6:37 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive