HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Kind of a joke. But not offended....we fall into "one of Canada's best kept secrets" kind of city. If you have never been here, you have a poor impression....if your work or family travel ends up bringing you here, you are shocked how much you like the city!

In a previous job, I planned a number of national conferences held in Saskatoon and at first was surprised how little delegates knew about Saskatoon and 2nd how many misconceptions they had about the city ("wow...there are trees here....and restaurants...and a pretty downtown...) I kid you not!!! I can't say all of them, but the vast majority left with a far more positive perception of our city then they arrived with!
So true. I have heard similar comments when people visit for the first time.
Perhaps many people have a 'Corner Gas' image of Regina, Saskatoon, and Saskatchewan on the whole. I think Saskatchewan needs to borrow Ontario's former motto (which they no longer use). Yours to Discover

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:39 AM

I don't get too fussed up about people that bash Saskatoon or Saskatchewan because mostly they are just showing their own ignorance. I've lived many places and I think Saskatoon has a really nice feeling to it. Like any place it's got its drawbacks and problems but I think the standard of living is good and the city (from my perspective) has built on its strengths while also becoming much more cosmopolitan / cool over the last few years or so.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
We have an awesome Asian grocery store just across from Cactus Club, we have Pharmasave, we have Shoppers in the mall that’s just about to expand into a much larger store with the midtown renovation, and we have two confectionaries inside condos on 5th and 6th north. We even have a Safeway just off idywild and 33rd. WHY do people keep thinking we lack a downtown grocery store lol. Are Saskatoonitex expecting a Costco to come downtown? Because for a downtown I’d argue our grocery scene is better than Winnipeg’s. You’re not building a massive grocery store without parking for people to walk to and fill carts and take those carts home... most downtowners in other cities take their groceries home by cab/Uber if they’re getting a large load of stuff.. so Safeway on 33rd offers everything our downtown needs.
People complain about the lack of a grocery store because pharmacies and convenience stores don't cut it. But Saskatoon's downtown isn't really dense or populated enough to support a grocery store, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquentin View Post
People complain about the lack of a grocery store because pharmacies and convenience stores don't cut it. But Saskatoon's downtown isn't really dense or populated enough to support a grocery store, so it's a bit of a moot point.
But the Saskatoon I know wants a grocery store the size of Walmart downtown with ample free parking, which isn't a thing in any city's downtown if I'm correct? No one living downtown in any city is buying bulk groceries at a downtown location that you need a car to move them around in. When I lived in winnipeg some people had mini carts to move semi larger amounts of food into their downtown condos, but no one was shopping at a immensely large grocery store, nor have I seen this at any other larger centers.. maybe I'm not as well travelled as some who complain about a grocery store being the largest detriment to our downtown. Anyone downtown that's mass shopping and doesn't always rely on a car is going to foot the bill for a cab/uber to move their groceries around.

Someone change my mind lol.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:31 PM
the heat goes on

https://www.ckom.com/2019/07/17/585935/

Quote:
Adding more than 300 employees means the tech company will soon outgrow its current downtown office on Third Avenue. King said an announcement on that would be coming in the near future.
So where is the new office going to be?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
https://www.ckom.com/2019/07/17/585935/

So where is the new office going to be?
WOW...that is exciting! Great news for the city and our younger population, as it provides more employment opportunities for our young techies!! I would think they are going to need a substantial amount of real estate for 650 employees. I would not be surprised if they take up a chunk of Riverlanding office tower space!

Or maybe that fancy World Trade Centre building....lol!!!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
WOW...that is exciting! Great news for the city and our younger population, as it provides more employment opportunities for our young techies!! I would think they are going to need a substantial amount of real estate for 650 employees. I would not be surprised if they take up a chunk of Riverlanding office tower space!

Don't forget Saskatoon Square will soon be almost completely vacant. Their current digs seem to be extremely cheap, so I could see them settling in there if they got some agreed upon upgrades (ie. I've heard the windows need to be upgraded to be less warm in summer and less cold in winter).

Also River Quarry is probably the perfect size, and I think very competitive on lease rates with Saskatoon Square.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 10:09 PM

True....I keep forgetting about River Quarry, which looks to be a pretty decent option. I believe they built to at least LEED Silver standard so would be a good building. It's location is good, as well.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
But the Saskatoon I know wants a grocery store the size of Walmart downtown with ample free parking, which isn't a thing in any city's downtown if I'm correct? No one living downtown in any city is buying bulk groceries at a downtown location that you need a car to move them around in. When I lived in winnipeg some people had mini carts to move semi larger amounts of food into their downtown condos, but no one was shopping at a immensely large grocery store, nor have I seen this at any other larger centers.. maybe I'm not as well travelled as some who complain about a grocery store being the largest detriment to our downtown. Anyone downtown that's mass shopping and doesn't always rely on a car is going to foot the bill for a cab/uber to move their groceries around.

Someone change my mind lol.
Edmonton and Calgary have examples of the stores you're talking about. Saskatoon's downtown is a long way off (say, 5000 neighborhood residents) from anything like that, so, yeah, complaining is a bit futile. If a downtown supermarket opened tomorrow, it would be closed by Christmas. It's just a (not so bad, in my opinion) trade-off for living centrally. Also, I think that the rising popularity of grocery deliveries will fill the void somewhat.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:32 PM

Downtown Grocery Store

Is it really the lack of a downtown grocery store that is keeping people from living downtown? Maybe it is the price of highrise condos vs low rise condos and houses.

People in Evergreen, Aspen Ridge and Brighton all live further from a grocery store than people downtown with the Safeway on 33rd and the Extra foods on Broadway.

If I was ready to downsize to a condo downtown the number one issue for me would be the price. The lack of a grocery store would not be a non issue. But that's just me and maybe because I already live 2km from the closest grocery store and it is no big deal.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 4:14 PM

I agree with what all of the recent posters have said regarding the "need" for a downtown grocery store.

Personally, it is about a lifestyle choice if I were to move downtown. It would mean wanting to adopt as much of a "car-less" life as I could. I would want to be able to walk or bike for all of my essential needs as well as entertainment. leisure and active lifestyle/fitness needs. So far....I would say downtown could provide me with that, but it does need some kind of a 'boutique' type grocer that I could access every 3 to 4 days.

As an example, in the No1 Riverlanding condos, the standard fridge/freezer appliance included is like a camper size! This was intentional to save space but also to fit the 'lifestyle' of an urban/downtown resident who shops more and buys less each time and eats out more often with access to restaurants.

I do agree it would still be a tough go of it for any small grocer to establish downtown as the critical mass of residents may not quite be there yet. But I do hope it comes one day, as for me it is one piece of the puzzle that is missing from the amenities I am looking for in moving downtown.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 8:15 PM

I would say that the lack of people downtown is the lack of availability of any new condo builds.. My building downtown is comfortably packed full of people. We just need more developers from out of province to come in and turn some empty lots into action.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 5:49 PM
Peddling to progress

New to the forum, so not sure if this is the correct place, but...

If Saskatoon is looking at a downtown bike network, why not make 3rd and 4th opposing one-way streets and put the bike paths there? I've always thought the city could use some one ways downtown to help traffic flow.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:10 PM

Old Posted Jul 28, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
This is about the Kinsmen, who've been supporting Saskatoon folks since the 1920's. If any of you have bought a Hospital Home Lotto ticket but pass on these guys because the prize is a tiny bit less, you should think about it. Just look at their grand prize now: A fantastic infill home in the university area!

They didn't sell out before their earlybird, but they should have! All these folks talkin' 'bout the environment, and right here at home all you want is the biggest house away from everyone else.

Well, these guys are trying to make Saskatoon a better place. Please support them! You won't lose a dollar, but you might gain a home! Buy a ticket, and...Cheers!

Full disclosure: I'm acting on my own and this is not an ad. This is passion and support for the good folks of Saskatoon. These guys didn't go to the 'burbs! C'mon, man! Support them!

So enough from me, then. I'll resurface next spring:>)
Bringing up an old post. For disclosure I am with the Kinsmen. I thought I could add to this.

Infill is becoming our niche. We're doing another infill next year that I think people here would like. They're very well received by the public as well. Of course, you need to find the right lots and timing is everything, but all things considered, we'd do infill.

Home lotto gig is a bit tough these days, with both hospital home lottos and the STARS home lotto, and we "compete" for the same demographic that has money to buy these tickets.

That said, we don't view eachother as competitors. I can say that our telemiracle fund helped St. Paul's secure the last of the funding it needs to build the province's first Hospice care home in Saskatchewan. (Calgary has 17, go figure). I believe this will be another infil project and it will happen. Other cities in the province are looking to do a similar model in their communites.

Trying to do projects in the core is fraught with challenges, and at times, frustrations. A few years back we had secured a building on 20th street with the intent of it being the cities first community non-profit learning center. We had tenants lined up and funding secured. The federal money fell through. I don't know the particulars, but I think it came with strings attached, which nobody wanted. Now we're working with another organization on something downtown, but the wheels churn slowly.

Home Lotto is done, now its on to the Car Awards. Its our 90th year of raffling of a car at the exhibition! We're partnered with the Sask Rattlers, and I'm hoping we can expand the raffle, and help provide some funding for Mike Linklater's plan of building an outdoor basketball park in the core. (I don't have all details on this one, but it sounds great).

So if you come down to the EX. Please do stop by our booth and buy a ticket. We're offering a fully restored 1970 C10 Truck, (Sorry not the most environmental vehicle) and all the proceeds will go right back into our city supporting great organizations that make this a better place to live.

Last edited by SLB1970; Jul 28, 2019 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:13 PM

SREDA's Quarterly Economic Update for Q2 2019 states that Saskatoon's CMA population is 328,245.

My guess is that the Saskatoon CMA is now only 4-5 years away from reaching 350,000.

Anyone else want to speculate on timeframe?

Last edited by Brutopian; Aug 7, 2019 at 4:18 PM. Reason: I originally said "only a couple of years away" but meant to say 4-5.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 4:38 PM

I think someone at SREDA screwed up, quarter 1 states CMA population at 333,606, so if we look at quarter 2 of 2018 with population at 330,111 that would be roughly a gain of 3600, so you could be right with 17,000 to go but will depend on growth which will be a little more complicated than looking at the past year.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:

I must have been out of the loop when they built that but surely the whole thing is a joke? I can see the building from the window at my office and I swear there is plywood covering windows on the east side of the building on the 2nd and third floors and the back parking lot looks completely empty during business hours.

Can someone here explain to me the purpose of that building??

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
I must have been out of the loop when they built that but surely the whole thing is a joke? I can see the building from the window at my office and I swear there is plywood covering windows on the east side of the building on the 2nd and third floors and the back parking lot looks completely empty during business hours.

Can someone here explain to me the purpose of that building??
I think it’s completely empty... they just bought the sign LOL

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I think someone at SREDA screwed up, quarter 1 states CMA population at 333,606, so if we look at quarter 2 of 2018 with population at 330,111 that would be roughly a gain of 3600, so you could be right with 17,000 to go but will depend on growth which will be a little more complicated than looking at the past year.
You're right -- it appears that there is something wonky about SREDA's recently-published Q2 2019 Saskatoon CMA population stats.

Good catch.

I'll contact SREDA and let them know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan