HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Answering my own question here. It's finally under construction. There's actually four developments under construction in the Stone Oak Parkway/281 area.

Park Place anchored by Sheraton Hotel (281/Stone Oak Parkway), Stone Ridge anchored by HEB Plus! (281 and Evans Road), The Pinnacle anchored by Spectrum Gym (281 and Evans Road) and DAG's 200,000 square foot retail center anchored by a movie theater (Marshall Road and 281) are all under construction currently and Tacara now has signs on the property adverting the Taraca development.

Also, San Antonio is behind only Phoenix and Las Vegas in the nation for current retail construction.
nice to have MY OWN POST about tacara's signage brought back up in your little update on the stone oak pkwy area/ 281 developments!!!

not to be bitter, just blunt and rather annoyed by your know-it-all attitude about SA. i really appreciate you spending and devoting your time to make us all aware of certain things around the city, i just feel as if your knowledge comes out quite arrogantly and can make it almost a headache to re-read information that has either been posted, reposted or just murdered through the process of all of the above!!!

thanks for letting me vent, i feel much better now

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttwentyeight View Post
nice to have MY OWN POST about tacara's signage brought back up in your little update on the stone oak pkwy area/ 281 developments!!!

not to be bitter, just blunt and rather annoyed by your know-it-all attitude about SA. i really appreciate you spending and devoting your time to make us all aware of certain things around the city, i just feel as if your knowledge comes out quite arrogantly and can make it almost a headache to re-read information that has either been posted, reposted or just murdered through the process of all of the above!!!

thanks for letting me vent, i feel much better now
Wow, that came out of left field.

Honest to god Matt, I never saw your post saying Tacara had a sign on their property. If I did I wouldn't have posted that. I simply posted my observations after taking a quick trip in that area of Stone Oak. Partly for a business matter (that was in the general area) but also because I wanted to update myself on the Park Place development site. What I observed is what I posted, there are four developments currently under construction in the immediate vicinity of 281 and Stone Oak Park. Park Place, Stone Ridge, Pinnacle and the DAG development. That's just the stuff under construction 1/4 mile from the Stone Oak Parkway/281 intersection.

I also noticed the sign for Taraca as there are two (that I saw) and they are very prominent.

I wasn't trying to sound arrogant in my reporting. Though most of the time I do have sources/confirmation when I report or post something (Tiger Woods golf course, McCombs high-rise across from Alamo Stadium, etc) this time I was simply posting what I saw while driving 281. Hopefully the issue is resolved as I didn't mean to upset you.

Funny enough, in your farewell post you mentioned giving me shit. I was puzzled by that statement as I had never remember you and me arguing or disagreeing but now I see why you made that statement. No hard feelings though.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 1:58 AM

SKW, we are cool!!!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttwentyeight View Post
SKW, we are cool!!!
As the other side of the pillow.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 8:11 AM

New comedy club planned for Park North.

Quote:
Comedy club owners plan second location

Web Posted: 03/13/2008 10:24 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Rivercenter Comedy Club owners Bruce and Colleen Barshop have announced plans to open a second comedy club in San Antonio in 2009.

The yet-to-be named venue, which is under construction, will be in Park North next to Alamo Drafthouse. The 10,000-square-foot nightclub is expected to have a seating capacity of 400.

The Barshops are calling it an expansion. "We're committed to staying downtown," said Bruce Barshop, a local lawyer and real estate broker.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met...n.3337d2b.html
FYI... Park North is the (currently under construction) retail center that replaced the old Central Park Mall on San Pedro Ave. across from North Star Mall. Park Place will be 1.2 million square feet in size.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 1:15 PM

CRESTA BELLA UPDATE

Rendering

February 22, 2008 Construction pictures

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 1:18 PM

STEVENS RANCH TOWN CENTER UPDATE

New renderings

Old Posted Mar 16, 2008, 1:21 PM

HILTON RESORT & TIGER WOODS GOLF COURSE UPDATE

Here's a little bit of a confirmation. The developer of Stevens Ranch Town Center has this up on their site.

Though they are incorrect in that it'll be a Hilton Resort not Hilton Hotel and Conference and Center. Though I wouldn't doubt there'd be a conference area in the Hilton Resort.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 11:44 PM

Anyone have the renderings for the Drury Inn @ 1604 and 10. It's supposed to be 12 floors and 223 rooms. I pass by it everyday and it seems like nothing has been going on for the past few weeks.

heres the site for it: http://www.druryhotels.com/propertie...olacantera.cfm

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 6:22 AM

Quote:
City of Windcrest Secures 111 Acres for Massive Mixed-Use Project

New Development Includes Rackspace Managed Hosting HQ at Windsor Park Mall

The City of Windcrest Economic Development Corp. purchased 111 acres in San Antonio, which it plans to redevelop into a European-style neighborhood with a mix of retail and residential space.

The land was acquired for $16.92 million, or about $152,500 per acre. Kit Corbin and Brian Allison of Grubb & Ellis represented the seller, NFP Partners, a division of Niemann & Niemann.

The proposed development will be conducted in conjunction with Windsor Park Mall, which Rackspace Managed Hosting is redeveloping into a high-tech campus for its headquarters. Plans for the project are approved and construction should begin in six-to-eight months.

The entire project, including the City land and the mall with some additional parcels, will total 303 acres. It is slated for 3,700 residential units and 1 million square feet of retail and office space.

The land was part of the City of San Antonio, but during the escrow process, Windcrest agreed to annex the land from San Antonio for the project. The total size of Windcrest is approximately 700 acres.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 5:56 AM

The Town Center at La Cantera

This is the phase III I was talking about. Though it is bigger than I thought and is actually going to be marketed separately from The Shops as a new development in La Cantera. Although phase I of Town Center will not have a high-rise component, eventually it will.

Rendering

Quote:
Latest La Cantera project is mixed-use Town Center

Web Posted: 03/27/2008 11:08 PM CDT

Creighton A. Welch and Melissa Monroe
Express-News Business Writers

Last week, USAA Real Estate Co. unveiled its expansion plans for Phase II of The Shops at La Cantera. This week, the new projects continue to roll out.

USAA Real Estate Co. announced today that it is taking its 1,700-acre La Cantera development to the next level, and soon will start building The Town Center at La Cantera, a 178-acre mixed-use development along Interstate 10 and Loop 1604.

"This is the future of long-term development in the U.S.," said James Loyd, executive managing director at USAA Real Estate Co.

The first phase of the project, on about 40 acres, will have 500 loft-style apartments built on top of 200,000 square feet of neighborhood retail space, plus nearly 1 million square feet of office space and a 200-room boutique hotel.

Details about the developer and brand of hotel were not released. The first phase is expected to take five years to complete.

"The significance of the project is that it's a continuation of bringing retail and office and providing that commercial development to an area that has had a pent-up demand for quite a while," said Kimberly Gatley, senior vice president and director of research with NAI REOC Partners, a local real estate firm. "They're really servicing a need that has been there for some time."

The Town Center will focus on walkability and will have several parking garages rather than huge surface lots. Each building is expected to be Leadership in Energy Efficiency and Design certified for green building.

"If you look at it in terms of the environment, it should have a much less negative impact than other projects," Loyd said. "Due to our financial strength, we can afford to do this right, and will do it right."

Development in La Cantera has been unfolding slowly over the years, beginning with such landmarks as Six Flags Fiesta Texas and the Westin La Cantera Resort.

"It has always been kind of a long-term vision and focus for us," said T. Patrick Duncan, president and CEO of USAA Real Estate Co.

In 2005, The Shops at La Cantera opened as an open-air retail village with a Texas Hill Country architectural theme. High-end retailers at the center include a Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Tiffany & Co. and Anthropologie — which are all a first for San Antonio.

"Pointing to the hugely successful Shops at La Cantera, the next natural step is to have further development that complements all of that," Gatley said. "They're really going for this 24-hour lifestyle center, and the apartments are a big component of that."

In the last three years, The Rim shopping center has risen across the highway with midscale retailers such as Best Buy, JCPenney and the hunter's paradise of Bass Pro Shops. The Rim also is expected to have several hotels added to the mix in the next several years.

Just north of the La Cantera property, a Dutch company has broken ground on éilan, a 120-acre development that eventually will have about 1,400 apartments, 200,000 square feet of office space, a 150- to 200-room hotel and spa and 30,000 square feet of retail space.

More hotel developers are scouting the area around Interstate 10 and Loop 1604 for spots because of the increased activity from The Shops at La Cantera and The Rim, said Doug Sutton, executive vice president of San Antonio-based Source Strategies, a hotel consulting firm.

Sutton, who's familiar with the proposed boutique hotel at La Cantera, said there's a lot of interest from many hotel brands wanting to be in the area.

In addition to a new Staybridge Suites and Drury hotel under construction near La Cantera, Sutton said, he's heard talks about a possible Sheraton Four Points and Embassy Suites.

"Historically, that area used to be just a good stopping point," he said. "It's a different economy now with The Shops at La Cantera, The Rim and Bass Pro."

Sutton cautioned that he didn't think the area could support too many high-end hotels. He added hotel developers still have to compete with hotels downtown — typically the prime spot for visitors.

The office component at The Town Center at La Cantera should be successful because of all the residential development that's taken place in the outskirts of San Antonio, Gatley said.

"You have some very affluent neighborhoods around there, and it makes it a very easy commute to have office buildings," Gatley said. "The people who live out there are the decision-makers in the city."
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...8.2f0a402.html

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:27 AM
James

Well, I'm glad they are filling up that vacant area with something. This could kind of be considered infill, maybe. It's depressing how much of this is going up everywhere but downtown, its like the city is trying to take away from downtown. We need more interest downtown, with something.

AT&T where are you!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 6:52 AM

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 12:46 PM

This is why I just laugh when it's insinuated that the only housing SA has going up is single-family sprawl. There's a lot of multi-family stuff going up or in the planning stages, it just isn't all going up downtown in the form of 500ft towers.

I agree with jaga, though, it would be nice if there was as much interest being shown in DT (or at least River North) as there seems to be north of 1604.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 7:57 PM

You guys need to realize that just because you're not hearing anything now doesn't mean there isn't stuff in the pipeline for downtown or that five years from now there won't be crazy amounts of stuff proposed or under construction.

Just look at the 1604/10 area, in 2002 when I first moved here I don't remember anything being talked about for that area, besides The Shops at La Cantera Nothing the general public would have known about. Then a little development called North Rim Village was announced by a local developer. The North Rim Village site was then bought by Thomas Enterprises and turned into the much larger The Rim.

Now you have Eilan, The Landmark, Cresta Bella, La Joya and The Town Center.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 9:58 PM

You never know. DT SA may be a late bloomer in recent highrise development like Houston was just three years ago. Or it would be a Fort Worth with just a few highrises going up because the market is saturated by a nearby neighbor.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
You never know. DT SA may be a late bloomer in recent highrise development like Houston was just three years ago. Or it would be a Fort Worth with just a few highrises going up because the market is saturated by a nearby neighbor.
Good point, Trae. Never thought of it that way in regards to Fort Worth. I was just there this weekend and had a great time in their DT. It reminds me of SA's DT minus the river and all the homeless people.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 10:54 PM
Bears of antiquity

The city is realizing that the suburban spread is bleeding downtown dry, hence the moves to stifle the conservation fogies and breath new life into the whole green movement in SA.

A lot of land that has been held onto long and hard is being freed up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more 300-400 foot buildings being proposed in the future. Given AT&T's eagerness to centralize, we may even see them match floorspace with what they have in Atlanta. Maybe not tall, but certainly a presence downtown.

I don't think SA is down and out quite yet.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
The city is realizing that the suburban spread is bleeding downtown dry, hence the moves to stifle the conservation fogies and breath new life into the whole green movement in SA.

A lot of land that has been held onto long and hard is being freed up, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more 300-400 foot buildings being proposed in the future. Given AT&T's eagerness to centralize, we may even see them match floorspace with what they have in Atlanta. Maybe not tall, but certainly a presence downtown.

I don't think SA is down and out quite yet.
good to hear that we are are not the only optimists for SA

Old Posted Apr 2, 2008, 11:21 PM
Bears of antiquity

I'm coming back home for Fiesta-- I want to be hopeful, not dismayed. Seattle has really spoiled me, haha.

To be honest, though, downtown IS dense-- just not all that tall. And those parking lots are going to start looking mighty fine when they start gobbling up land for Portland-style condo buildings. You know, 12-18 stories with lots of streetfront retail. I don't think ANYTHING can survive in downtown San Antonio without streetfront retail.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio