HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:49 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

... and I'm wrong again.
Thanks elly

EDIT: This must be what I heard:
http://www.trentonian.com/tncms/asse...2-dfb1dc66db36

Last edited by craner; Nov 11, 2019 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:16 PM

As interesting as speculating on Montreal's hypothetical stadium situation in the middle of the playoffs is, how about the stage being set for the Western final with Collaros making his return to Regina? If Streveler can improve a bit and the Bombers can keep this two qb combo rolling, maybe we can look forward to a little replay of the Banjo Bowl beatdown on Sunday?

As for the East, I suspect the clock is going to hit midnight for the Cinderella Eskimos... I'm disappointed that the Als couldn't pull it off but they still performed respectably. If they can keep Khari and VA they will be a force next season...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Eskies looked good but Montreal really showed their youth and lack of experience today. Not going for it on 3rd and 1 and some of the passes Adams made into coverage were just silly and they should have blitzed and shown much more pressure when Harris picked them apart for 22 straight completions.
I'll let Adams off the hook for those 4th quarter picks which were desperation plays. He'll know better next season.

Speaking of qb growth trajectories, is this basically as good as it's going to get for Streveler or do you see him finding a higher level as a passer next season? I'm thinking it's the former...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

People were quite happy on the post-game phone-in shows in Quebec yesterday, despite the loss.

It was like - the rest of the league better watch out for the Als next year!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:00 PM

^ I think most people were expecting an on and off field disaster for the Als, so expectations were definitely exceeded. They do seem to be poised for some success heading into next season.

Quite the display of sheer emotion after the game by Bowman...I guess he's retiring?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'll let Adams off the hook for those 4th quarter picks which were desperation plays. He'll know better next season.

Speaking of qb growth trajectories, is this basically as good as it's going to get for Streveler or do you see him finding a higher level as a passer next season? I'm thinking it's the former...
I think Strev needs 2 more years learning things before you can try him as a starter again. I really hope Collaros resigns here as they seem to have developed a good friendship and Collaros would be an excellent teacher for Strev. I know Toronto will go hard to get Collaros back but I think knowing how good our o-line is to protect his health might have him think twice about going back to Toronto to be closer to his family.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People were quite happy on the post-game phone-in shows in Quebec yesterday, despite the loss.

It was like - the rest of the league better watch out for the Als next year!
their future is very bright they just need to get some help in the offseason for their defense

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It was a big football weekend in Quebec with the Carabins-Rouge et Or playoff game on Saturday that was also widely followed.

I guess many ROCers will be happy that Laval is out.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
It was a big football weekend in Quebec with the Carabins-Rouge et Or playoff game on Saturday that was also widely followed.

rumbling are Danny Maccocia is in the running to be the next coach for the Redblacks in Ottawa and leave the Carabins.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:

I didn't see the game (couldn't find it on TV... Was it only on TVA?) but people are generally content to see the overwhelming favorites fall in dramatic fashion

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:46 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
rumbling are Danny Maccocia is in the running to be the next coach for the Redblacks in Ottawa and leave the Carabins.

I wish he was headed back to Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 7:58 PM

I remember when Maciocia got hired by U Montreal that the feeling was he'd never want to leave as the working conditions were great... fairly good pay with far less of the stress of being a pro coach. But I guess once you've been in the limelight, it's hard to stay away forever.

It sure would be interesting to see Maciocia back in the CFL... he had quite the roller coaster ride with the Eskimos.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 8:29 PM

10 things I thought: Alouettes season ends with crushing home loss to Esks
Joey Alfieri 3downnation November 11 2019

Check out this emotional exchange between veteran centre Kristian Matte and Vernon Adams.

Who wouldn't play for a guy like that?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I am jumping, I am jumping for joy great win Bombers bring on the Riders! having to fight cancer this year this Bomber team has really made me smile today and really been inspiring especially Collaros and Strevler on a broken foot. Can't wait for the West final this is going to be like Ali-Frazier with the 2 most passionate fan bases in the CFL ratings will be huge for TSN!
Congrats! Going for the Bombers, especially if it ends up being vs the Ti-Cats.. frigging Hamilton.. (yes i'm still bitter about Forge )

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:37 PM

I know the Riders were much more effective containing Strevler last time the Bombers clashed with the Riders in Regina by having extra coverage at the edge of the line to stifle his runs. However with Collaros as starter and his determination to show the Riders were wrong letting him go I don't think they can employ the exact same tactics. Andrew Harris looked really slow though yesterday I would like to see Johnny Augustine get some playing time as he is much faster and explosive.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I didn't see the game (couldn't find it on TV... Was it only on TVA?) but people are generally content to see the overwhelming favorites fall in dramatic fashion
Yes I believe it was only on TVA Sports.

Starting next week all remaining games appear to be on Sportnet up to the Vanier Cup.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Yes I believe it was only on TVA Sports.

Starting next week all remaining games appear to be on Sportnet up to the Vanier Cup.
Not Sportsnet, but the CBC streaming service.

Or maybe its just the Vanier only will be on CBC. All I know is that Sportsnet is not showing any USports football this year.

Looks like only TVA will show the Mitchell and Uteck Bowls.
https://usports.ca/en/championships/...ll-bowl/m/info

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:12 PM

I'm glad it'll be on CBC Streaming although honestly, if they're going to the hassle of producing these games why can't they find a normal TV channel to put them on?

It's like the Hardy Cup, I caught a few minutes of it way up in the nether reaches of the Bell MTS Pay Per View channels (it was free, but you still had to "order" it). If it wasn't for stumbling upon a tweet right before the game that mentioned it was televised that way, I never would have known. I'd be surprised if more than a few hundred people were watching on TV as a result... no one other than the most hardcore fans would have known it was even available that way.

Anyway, with Laval out, the Uteck Bowl between Montreal and Acadia should be a solid matchup.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:44 PM

Quote:
I think Strev needs 2 more years learning things before you can try him as a starter again. I really hope Collaros resigns here as they seem to have developed a good friendship and Collaros would be an excellent teacher for Strev. I know Toronto will go hard to get Collaros back but I think knowing how good our o-line is to protect his health might have him think twice about going back to Toronto to be closer to his family.
Going all in on Collaros is really taking a chance. The guy is clearly a top notch passer but he's like Buck Pierce at the end of his playing days... a hard hit away from being done for good. And in that case putting Strev in as the starter would probably not yield much better results than what we had this season. Unless he somehow improves his accuracy by leaps and bounds in the off season.

I could live with the Collaros/Streveler one-two punch for next season, but only as a stop gap measure that would be marginally preferable to having El Game Managerino back in blue. For 2021 there would have to be a legit new starting QB.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Not Sportsnet, but the CBC streaming service.

Or maybe its just the Vanier only will be on CBC. All I know is that Sportsnet is not showing any USports football this year.

Looks like only TVA will show the Mitchell and Uteck Bowls.
https://usports.ca/en/championships/...ll-bowl/m/info
I believe TVA Sports is only showing the Uteck which is the one the Carabins are playing in. There isn't much of an incentive for them to show the Mitchell simply for the curiosity of who *might* play against the UdeM in the Vanier Cup. They'd never send a crew out there for a game between an Ontario and a western team, though esquire says there might be cameras and a feed available (CBC streaming?). I also wonder if a local station might not broadcast the Mitchell - maybe ON TV (CHCH) out of Hamilton or some Calgary channel?

The Vanier Cup will be on the CBC main TV network.

All of this really brings home just how much U Sports football (or U Sports in general) coverage sucks in general.

Ironically you have more channels than ever with (arguably) less coverage than ever.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada