Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 7:05 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
why not gold?
How about gold for the frame, and silver for the glass? And maybe a big globe on the roof, like the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows, with amusement park rides inside. And a laser light show at night. And maybe some dancing fountains out front. And a petting zoo. Or maybe the petting zoo should go inside the giant globe on the roof? Or should it be a water park instead?

So many possibilities.....

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 7:35 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I don't even buy that they'll see that much energy savings if its silver. Remember Chicago is below room temperature for about 8 months (66%) of the year. That means the Black would have a net positive effect on the buildings heating costs for those times of the year...
I was thinking the same thing...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 8:04 PM
Art Deco Enthusiast

I also agree with Nowhereman's assessment.

I do not think silver is a "pussy" color as Steely Dan states but painting or re-cladding the Sears in silver? Definitely not.

You might as well paint the Monolith from 2001, A Space Odyssey!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 8:08 PM
CHICAGO ADDICTED

Its Used 4 Buisness & Observation Not A Amusment Park, That Sound So Stupid

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 8:44 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ Dude, I was joking.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:06 PM
Windy City Dan

If they are itching to spend money so badly, why don't they move forward with revitalizing the interior? I love the Sears and hope they never change the outside, and I'm all for landmarking it, hell I thought it already was. The inside could use some work though.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
If they are itching to spend money so badly, why don't they move forward with revitalizing the interior? I love the Sears and hope they never change the outside, and I'm all for landmarking it, hell I thought it already was. The inside could use some work though.
Tenants arent leaving (nor will come for that matter) because of the exterior color scheme. What they care about are the floorplates, the amenities, the location, and the technology capabilities...I would imagine if the tower is strapped for tenants they could do better than marring the exterior and instead focus their money on the reasons people are leaving

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:42 PM

I agree that the tower should be landmarked. The Sears Tower is Chicago!

But to play devil's advocate, can't they find a high-efficiency black cladding? Why mirrored glass? It's so boring sometimes.

Why not keep the black aluminum and replace the windows with energy efficient black-tinted windows. Then the tower would be blacker! LOL

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:27 PM

They should apply the old saying, "once you go black, you never go back...."

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:29 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Tenants arent leaving (nor will come for that matter) because of the exterior color scheme. What they care about are the floorplates, the amenities, the location, and the technology capabilities...I would imagine if the tower is strapped for tenants they could do better than marring the exterior and instead focus their money on the reasons people are leaving

Actually, I heard just the opposite. From what I've read, tenants are leaving. Not at an alarming rate mind you, but a lot of companies want more bang for their buck so they are moving to new digs like 300 N Lasalle and 155 Wacker. I dont blame them, Sears, as great as she is, is no spring chicken.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 10:41 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ and it has some massive floorplates on the lower levels, which aren't immediately palatable to many prospective tenants.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

recladding the sears tower in silver would make it no more distinguishable than the countless faceless shiny towers built in the 80's and 90's.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:40 PM

Cool

well i did a lil negative thingy and here is how a silver Sears might look (on Mars, lol):

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 12:09 AM

NO WAY!!! The Sears Tower and JH are like black book ends. It will throw the balanced look of downtown Chicago off. Maybe clean it up, but they need to leave it black.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I don't even buy that they'll see that much energy savings if its silver. Remember Chicago is below room temperature for about 8 months (66%) of the year. That means the Black would have a net positive effect on the buildings heating costs for those times of the year...
That is true for residential and small scale commercial. Office Towers though need to be cooled constantly. This is because of the interiors being filled with people, copy machines, computers, lights, and other mechanical equipment all producing and radiating heat. Then, because heat rises, multiply that by each floor from B3-103.

HELL NO on this proposal. Build the hotel to the south, and block some of the southern facade from direct day light. That will achieve the same goal while adding more revenue to the property. Add solar panels and small scale turbines to the setbacks to reduce energy consumption from the grid further. They better not dare to f*ck with the skin color of the building. I'd imagine there would be some serious outrage from the general population, look how serious of an uproar was caused by Macy's.

Landmarking consideration typically begins at 40 years, which would put Sears in line with 2013-2014. I'd say we are close enough. Do it and do it quick! IBM has already been approved for landmarking, and its the same age. Landmarking would also give the owners eligibility for tax credits.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:23 AM
Chicago Kid

Horrible idea, that's the point of the Sears Tower, to look dark and monstrous and it matches the John Hancock.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:32 AM
BANNED

@ Chicago Shawn,

I thought that the heat issue in Office buildings has been becoming less of an issue with time though as we get cooler office equipment, lower heat lighting, and other energy efficient improvements. Besides, what is stopping them from simply blowing cold air from the outside in? I know there's the stack effect and everything, but I feel like blowing cold air into the upper floors would work to counteract that...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
NO WAY!!! The Sears Tower and JH are like black book ends. It will throw the balanced look of downtown Chicago off. Maybe clean it up, but they need to leave it black.
Yeah, it's balanced with the Hancock. Changing the color would be like taking the spire off of the Empire State. I changes the look and feel of the tower. If the Sears weren't such a dominant tower (a tower of 40 or 50 stories that just blended in with others) I'd say it wouldn't matter as much.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 2:12 AM

Quote:
@ Chicago Shawn,

I thought that the heat issue in Office buildings has been becoming less of an issue with time though as we get cooler office equipment, lower heat lighting, and other energy efficient improvements. Besides, what is stopping them from simply blowing cold air from the outside in? I know there's the stack effect and everything, but I feel like blowing cold air into the upper floors would work to counteract that...
That is pretty much what new green design does with regards to office tower construction. Buildings with a double skin facade for example, use stack ventilation and convection currents between the glass panes to move air flow naturally, while providing for additional insulation. Newer computerized climate control systems measure outdoor air temperature vs desired interior temperatures, and will blow outdoor air straight inwards, or will automatically open specified windows. Keep in mind though that Sears is a super tall building constructed nearly 40 years ago. Some of these design concepts just can not be easily adapted to work in this building without enormous cost.

Also with the heat issue, combining multiple populated floors with multiple machines still produces a lot heat, despite energy efficiencies in new designs.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 3:39 AM

What if they just painted a slightly less dark blackbrown or whatever they have going (its kind of purpley in a way) just to give it a refreshed new look?

Or wouldn't even repainting with the same color but with a more reflective mix work as well?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture