HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
My big question for towers in general is the climate. Does vertical living make sense from an energy perspective, or do they just not care what it takes.
An essential question raised over here. Do high-rise buildings were only made for views and to be seen, or do they actually bring any functional enhancement?

I think layout, thus urban planning is the real question here. And I'm pretty sure architecture and urban planning are 2 things completely different... Any achitect looks for distinctive achievements, while by nature, urban planners are mainly sensitive about the cohesive design of an entire urban setting.

Some pro-highrise engineers show that in spite of being much more "énergivore" (energy-greedy), highrises are actually more efficient cause they spare you from many daily horizontal movements. But it all depends on the way they're laid out, and how mixed-use they can be.

That's why I don't like too much when they advertise their stunning views. I think we need to enter an era when the height of a building is simply seen as something efficient and economical, and not just an evidence of power (or possibly arrogance).

That's a major question in my country cause people are extremely touchy when it comes to common inequalities and arrogance over here.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 8:53 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
My big question for towers in general is the climate. Does vertical living make sense from an energy perspective, or do they just not care what it takes.
To some extant, highrise buildings can reduce HVAC loads tremendously by reducing the surface area per unit subject to heat loss/gain. This advantage is lost somewhat for the superslender towers. This is independent of teh transportation efficiency benefits mousquet mentions.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture