HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:04 PM

For Detroit, the highest volume I could find is 117,000 AADT (Average Annual Daily Traffic) on Eastbound 696 between Dequindere and Mound.

The next high volume freeway segments are;
E 696 with 102,000 between Scotia and Dequindere.
N 75 with 102,000 between Davison and 8 Mile.
E 94 with 98,000 between 10 Mile and Little Mack.
W 96 with 93,000 between 8 Mile and 10 Mile.

From there, most major freeway segments range between 50,000 and 70,000.

The highest volume surface streets are;
Southfield Rd between Southfield Freeway and 696 with 51,000 - 61,000.
Van Dyke Rd between 696 and 15 Mile with 55,000 - 60,000.
Hall Road between Van Dyke and Romeo Plank with 47,000 - 50,000.

From there, other notable high volume surface streets include Telegraph, Mound, Grosebeck Hwy, Rochester Rd, and Ford Rd with multiple segments with around 40,000 - 45,000.

Congestion in this data is defined as traffic that averages less than 35 mph for at least 15 minutes during peak hours for at least 65 weekdays out of the year.

With that criteria, the freeways with both AM and PM congestion on both sides;
I-94 from 9 Mile to Telegraph (primarily on the westbound side)
Southfield Freeway between Michigan Ave and 8 Mile
I-75 between 9 Mile and Rochester Rd
275 between 96 and 696.

Most other freeway segments exhibit the typical AM congestion towards downtown and PM congestion away from downtown.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:11 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Good for you. I have a house in SF and in Tahoe so drive it quite often. Getting out of SF on the Bay Bridge, north thru Emeryville, Fairfield, Vacaville, Dixon and Davis is a traffic nightmare. Sure, if you can get out before 11:00 AM or head out after 8:00 PM it is okay but otherwise it is a complete shit hole of a drive. It has taken me 4 to 5 hours to drive the 90 miles to Sacramento. It is the worst I have ever experienced. Never have I experienced such bad traffic going an equal distance in any direction in Los Angeles the 21 years I have lived there.
Yeah that sounds about right, the drive from here to Sac can be an absolute nightmare, up to 6 hrs at times I know that from experience, but a few years ago I landed at LAX at 5pm on a friday evening and needed to be in North Hollywood by 6pm. Haha it took about 3 hrs on the 405, 101 and 170.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
For Detroit, the highest volume I could find is 117,000 AADT (Average Annual Daily Traffic) on Eastbound 696 between Dequindere and Mound.

The next high volume freeway segments are;
E 696 with 102,000 between Scotia and Dequindere.
N 75 with 102,000 between Davison and 8 Mile.
E 94 with 98,000 between 10 Mile and Little Mack.
W 96 with 93,000 between 8 Mile and 10 Mile.

From there, most major freeway segments range between 50,000 and 70,000.

The highest volume surface streets are;
Southfield Rd between Southfield Freeway and 696 with 51,000 - 61,000.
Van Dyke Rd between 696 and 15 Mile with 55,000 - 60,000.
Hall Road between Van Dyke and Romeo Plank with 47,000 - 50,000.

From there, other notable high volume surface streets include Telegraph, Mound, Grosebeck Hwy, Rochester Rd, and Ford Rd with multiple segments with around 40,000 - 45,000.

Congestion in this data is defined as traffic that averages less than 35 mph for at least 15 minutes during peak hours for at least 65 weekdays out of the year.

With that criteria, the freeways with both AM and PM congestion on both sides;
I-94 from 9 Mile to Telegraph (primarily on the westbound side)
Southfield Freeway between Michigan Ave and 8 Mile
I-75 between 9 Mile and Rochester Rd
275 between 96 and 696.

Most other freeway segments exhibit the typical AM congestion towards downtown and PM congestion away from downtown.
I would have expected Northwestern Hwy to rank high. Wasn't/Isn't the nearby intersection of Telegraph Rd. and 12 Mile Rd. the busiest intersection in Michigan?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 4:59 PM

OK, I'm extremely bored, ha. Here is a very unscientific review of some of inter-city commutes at this very moment:

SF to Sacramento, 87.9 miles
Outbound: 1h 28min
Inbound: 1h 45min
Avg mph: 55

Chicago to Milwaukee, 92.5 miles
Outbound: 1h 43min
Inbound: 2h 1min
Avg mph: 50

Washington to Baltimore, 41.1 miles
Outbound: 1h 14min
Inbound: 1h 18min
Avg mph: 32

New York to Philadelphia, 94.6 miles
Outbound: 2h 3min
Inbound: 1h 47min

Baltimore-Washington are much more likely to have daily commuter traffic between the two since it’s only about 40 miles difference, so it makes sense traffic is so much worse.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:14 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
OK, I'm extremely bored, ha. Here is a very unscientific review of some of inter-city commutes at this very moment:

Baltimore-Washington are much more likely to have daily commuter traffic between the two since it’s only about 40 miles difference, so it makes sense traffic is so much worse.
Baltimore and DC arent the same as the others as they are part of the same statistical area.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:20 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post

LA to SD, 120 miles
Outbound: 2h 11min
Inbound: 2h 23min

As it is now 10:25AM Pacific, the LA, SD, SF, Sac times are likely best case scenario absent late at night/early AM. I suppose that the east coast numbers could possibly be accounting for a bit heavier post lunchtime traffic due to the time zone difference. I do know the SoCal numbers are deteriorating as I type as the east coast may be heading into rush hour(s).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:21 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Here's what everyone has posted so far, that I've noticed. I'm skeptical of Boise.

Code:
LA		461
Toronto		417
Atlanta		403
SF		369
Boise		326
Chicago		319
San Diego	312
Houston        >300
Dallas		285
New York	282
Phoenix		280
SLC		275
Denver		274
DC		250
Austin		241
New Orleans	209
Birmingham	155
Ft Worth	107
Asheville	106
Texarkana	 88
In Montreal, there are only 3 places where the counts exceed 200k :

1. 212,000 -> Hwy 15 (des Laurentides), between exits 2 (Côte-Vertu) and 3 (Henri-Bourassa).
2. 203,000 -> Hwy 40 / Hwy 15 (Métropolitaine), between Houde/McNeil and exit 68.
3. 203,000 -> Hwy 15 (Décarie), between RoyalMount and Hwy 40.

In Quebec City, the busiest seems to be :

1. 168,000 -> Hwy 40 (Félix-Leclerc), between Pierre-Bertrand blvd and Hwy 973.

Data is from 2018 and can be found on the Ministère des Transports website.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Its terrible. Some areas are horrid.

I had to make this trip for work to visit a client in Deer Park NY. The Friday before memorial day weekend this year in 2019. It took me 5 f****n hours to get from Deer Park NY to my town where I live. This is the exact route I took. Only 94 miles too!

This was the day where I had to piss in a Monster Energy Drink can using a pen to carve a hole because out of those 5 hours, 2 was just getting through where the White Stone Bridge enters the Bronx , to the NJ side where the GW Bridge terminates.

Maybe I f'd that day, and should of taken the Southern route (Belt Parkway). IDK which route would of been quicker, but that map is the route I took.

What a nightmare. Ranks as one my my worse traffic experiences ever.

I think where I f'd up is I had an energy drink before I left. IDK, maybe cutting through Manhattan would of been quicker, IDK, but what a nightmare. I left at 2:30 pm, and got back home around 7:20 pm.

For reference, when I visited my sister who lives in Arlington VA, the trip took me right around 4 hours. And I left around 2 pm on a Friday (back in mid June).

94 miles of shit, and standstill. At one point, 20 minutes at a standstill at the WhiteStone Bridge termination where it meets I-95/I-278. And all of the damn trucks too!
God bless you sir, I felt every bit of this post lol

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah I noticed the map updated to show the southern route (as opposed to Northern route I posted yesterday), as I copied the source code from maps, but yeah, it was the Northern route through the Bronx.

But yeah, a nightmare lol.

Even on weekdays, that BQE in general is a nightmare. From LIC, taking the BQE to the Goethals, just horrid. General rule of thumb is that if you leave NYC and are heading towards NJ from Brooklyn or especially Queens, leave before 2 pm. Like 1 pm is ideal. Once its 3 pm, its hell.

I can't even fathom what it will be like once the BQE redevelopment starts, which will be done in phases, and could take 20 years.

When they say in NY that you should walk or take mass transit, they ain't lying, they really aren't. And I don't see it getting better traffic wise.

Bike lanes and bus only lane additions have caused so much traffic. They really should consider altering the traffic light timings as well. In Brooklyn for example, I swear the light changes green, and about 1 second later, its back to red.

Maybe the addition of "steady green arrows" would greatly help for some avenues/side streets.

The no-right-turn on red is also a factor as well. Some areas really, especially in certain sections of Queens, its just bs.

Making a left turn in NYC is a major hassle.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Yeah I noticed the map updated to show the southern route (as opposed to Northern route I posted yesterday), as I copied the source code from maps, but yeah, it was the Northern route through the Bronx.

But yeah, a nightmare lol.

Even on weekdays, that BQE in general is a nightmare. From LIC, taking the BQE to the Goethals, just horrid. General rule of thumb is that if you leave NYC and are heading towards NJ from Brooklyn or especially Queens, leave before 2 pm. Like 1 pm is ideal. Once its 3 pm, its hell.

I can't even fathom what it will be like once the BQE redevelopment starts, which will be done in phases, and could take 20 years.

When they say in NY that you should walk or take mass transit, they ain't lying, they really aren't. And I don't see it getting better traffic wise.

Bike lanes and bus only lane additions have caused so much traffic. They really should consider altering the traffic light timings as well. In Brooklyn for example, I swear the light changes green, and about 1 second later, its back to red.

Maybe the addition of "steady green arrows" would greatly help for some avenues/side streets.

The no-right-turn on red is also a factor as well. Some areas really, especially in certain sections of Queens, its just bs.

Making a left turn in NYC is a major hassle.
The NYC Gods are telling you to leave your car at home.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 6:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its for business/work. If I go for pleasure or to visit outside of work, train all the way or at times Uber.

I mean if you all want to donate to the Save a Chris foundation, so I could buy my 111 W 57th Street unit, and Rolls Royce (bullet proof) with a fully paid driver, I'm all for that. I'll give you my paypal info right now. Or just mail the check if applicable. I accept all major credit cards, wire transfers, stock options, and so on.

This way I won't have to work, and can live off of my stocks or investments. And I'll be nice, and the highest contributors get a free stay and the unit once a month.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 7:48 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
401 between the 400 and Weston road is considered the busiest highway on the continent, recording well over 500,000 vehicles on a weekday.
It's busiest in the world and been so for a very long time.

The 401

http://livetrucking.com/this-north-a...-in-the-world/

A narrower 12 lane section

Courtesy of ak2

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 26, 2019 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
this one is terrifying to merge onto...the "on ramps" are like "T's" in places and the cars are barreling along at 80 mph. its helpful to have a turbocharged engine...i guess it's a remnant of 30s/40s traffic engineering...i think the overpasses have something like 1939 or so stamped upon them.
Yes it is absolutely terrifying to get onto this portion of the 110. The exits aren't much better...some are basically immediate 90 degree turns right off a very short exit ramp. Like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0924...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 8:59 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=isaidso;8642774]It's busiest in the world and been so for a very long time.

The 401

http://livetrucking.com/this-north-a...-in-the-world/

I've seen much busier gridlock in L.A. & N.Y.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 9:07 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ 18 travel lanes is no joke.

the widest expressway in chicago is the 14 lane section of the dan ryan on the south side from ~29th st. down to ~65th st.

3 local + 4 express lanes each way, plus the track ROW for the red line in the middle.

source: https://www.beierengineering.com/por...econstruction/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 9:12 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Katy Freeway (I-10) here in Houston west of town.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 9:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Katy Freeway (I-10) here in Houston west of town.

Getting through Westchase / Energy Corridor is a nightmare.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 9:48 PM

As of 2:46 pm Pacific, Google maps says the drive from San Francisco to Sacramento is 3 hours and 4 minutes (88.9 miles).

Regarding the 60 freeway in Los Angeles County, Wikipedia notes:

Quote:
Traffic congestion is exacerbated by the rapid population growth and, therefore, residential, commercial, and industrial development in the inland communities known informally as the Inland Empire. In particular, it has become increasingly clogged of late with shipping container-laden trucks travelling from the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach to rail yards and warehouses in the Inland Empire.
The latter is confirmed by Caltrans in an article about weekend maintenance closures on the 60 starting this week:
Quote:
On some stretches of the 60 Freeway, the road is riddled with cracks. Caltrans transportation engineer Elaheh Hadipour said the pavement is 60 years old. And it has been taking a beating from the truck traffic flooding out of the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

So, said Joe McLoughlin, owner of J. McLoughlin Engineering of Rancho Cucamonga, the contractor on the job, workers will replace the existing 9-inch-thick pavement with concrete 15 to 16 inches thick.
It may be that the 60 is the busiest stretch of freeway in California because it not only carries normal daytime traffic--commuters, etc.--but also carries a lot of steady overnight traffic between the ports and the inland railyards and distribution centers.

source

Last edited by craigs; Jul 26, 2019 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:07 PM
SD/OC

The 57/60 interchange is a nightmare despite attempts to fix it. I've driven there and have been surrounded on all sides by big rigs while being in a smaller than average lane size.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I would have expected Northwestern Hwy to rank high. Wasn't/Isn't the nearby intersection of Telegraph Rd. and 12 Mile Rd. the busiest intersection in Michigan?
There's actually more traffic that travels down Orchard Lake Rd than Northwestern Hwy. You have to keep in mind what traffic is like off peak hours. Roads with a lot of shopping areas have more continuous traffic flow throughout the day which ups the counts.

Are you sure 12 and Telegraph was busiest? The articles I found call it dangerous in terms of traffic accidents.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions