HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:29 AM
surely you agree with me

I've heard from a pretty good source that the Funnelator dream is dead. There won't be any more.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:12 PM
Ignore these four words.

Plans for True North Square were shown to councillors at city hall yesterday. They include three towers, some office buildings a public plaza and a new four-star, 275 room hotel. 220 Carlton will be part of the project but won’t be the site of the hotel as originally planned. Anyone else have any details concerning this?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:34 PM

^^ SoPo Square had a hotel as part of their plan. I wonder if the plan to possibly put a higher end hotel from another developer at 220 Carlton was putting those plans in jeopardy. I also wonder if the original plan for 220 Carlton was part of the motivation behind True North negotiating the rights to develop that site without a hotel.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ SoPo Square had a hotel as part of their plan. I wonder if the plan to possibly put a higher end hotel from another developer at 220 Carlton was putting those plans in jeopardy. I also wonder if the original plan for 220 Carlton was part of the motivation behind True North negotiating the rights to develop that site without a hotel.
^ It certainly stands to reason that TN would do what it could to prevent a competitor from setting up shop across the street when its own development plan called for something similar.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of hotel, if any, gets built. Given that Longboat/TNSE now has a relationship with Germain Group, you would think that the next hotel would be another collaboration between the two for a Le Germain (basically the more upscale chain offered by Germain Group as compared to Alt, which is the budget-minded offering). However, would that cause a problem for the Convention Centre which seems oddly fixated on a major global chain like Starwood, Marriott or Hilton that offers a widely-used loyalty reward system... they've implied that this is key to a successful Convention Centre hotel... apparently people won't come to conventions here unless they can get SPG points?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 3:45 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It certainly stands to reason that TN would do what it could to prevent a competitor from setting up shop across the street when its own development plan called for something similar.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of hotel, if any, gets built. Given that Longboat/TNSE now has a relationship with Germain Group, you would think that the next hotel would be another collaboration between the two for a Le Germain (basically the more upscale chain offered by Germain Group as compared to Alt, which is the budget-minded offering). However, would that cause a problem for the Convention Centre which seems oddly fixated on a major global chain like Starwood, Marriott or Hilton that offers a widely-used loyalty reward system... they've implied that this is key to a successful Convention Centre hotel... apparently people won't come to conventions here unless they can get SPG points?
I would be willing to wager that a Starwood brand hotel will be on the site. TN wants to corner the market for NHLPA stays as well. More than likely a Westin will be built on the site.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I would be willing to wager that a Starwood brand hotel will be on the site. TN wants to corner the market for NHLPA stays as well. More than likely a Westin will be built on the site.
Yeah, good point... I seem to recall that this was mentioned as one of the big reasons that the ill-fated P&M hotel was slated to get what was it, Le Meridien branding? To be part of the SPG group. Apparently Winnipeg is one of if not the only NHL market where the players don't stay at a Starwood hotel?

I guess Westin makes sense, but I suppose it could be Sheraton too, those are probably the two most common downtown big-city Starwood brands. I thought it was odd that Asper was chasing Le Meridien for P&M when we didn't have a Westin or Sheraton first.

I have to admit I am a SPG point nerd myself so I can understand the appeal of taking this approach.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 7:23 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I've heard from a pretty good source that the Funnelator dream is dead. There won't be any more.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2015, 4:57 AM

A downtown hotel from Starwood would do well. Apart from the NHL business, over the years I've had several colleagues booked into the Inn at the Forks panic at the last minute at the thought of staying at a "no name" hotel and ask me if they should stay at the Fairmont because "at least it is a nice chain".

Personally, I have hopped a couple of times between the suburban Four Points properties to maintain status, even though the CMHR views at the Inn at the Forks are one of my favourites.

I believe Viking said that Starwood reps were quite happy at the thought of getting a downtown property.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I just heard MMM got the contract to do servicing and transportation at TN Square and they are in planning stages.... Not sure if that was made public yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
A local consulting firm will be doing the foundation design of the towers. But it sounds like most of the building(s) structural design will be done out of province.

Not sure what that means for the rest of the consultants (A M and E)

Kinda shitty. Be nice to have this money spent locally.
Nice to here some relevent news on this proposal.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:36 PM
There is always a way

So there's a press conference to announce where Manitoba liquor and lotteries will locate their headquarters at 1130.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/mani...ters-1.3248208

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Not at True North. Will be a huge surprise but I think everyone will be happy. I think it is great.

Wow......way out I left field.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:15 PM

Good stuff. Looking forward to it!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Not in the Bay store then?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:20 PM
What could go wrong?

Not the Bay....start a new development thread.

.....not any of the major possibilities we thought of. CWB - no, IBM - no, Bay - no
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:21 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Well damn, looks like I have to wait ten minutes!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:27 PM
What could go wrong?

Medical Arts Building

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:28 PM

medical arts building, hmm.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Now that's just crazy.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:38 PM

It looks horrible.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:18 PM

Chipman and TNSE managements heads are probably exploding at this moment..I'm curious how the loss of this major anchor tenant will affect this project..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan