HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 11:43 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

How safe will these in the middle of nowhere transit stops be? Will WT eventually need to have "station attendants" or some sort of "platform security" whatever they call it, to keep the bad "looking for some trouble" mentally disturbed people from the good "just looking to get a ride home by bus" passengers?

Time will surely tell.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:13 PM

^... lol what?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
^... lol what?
Not an entirely unreasonable question... many of the BRT stations are very isolated. I used to live in Riverview and while I was OK with using the Fort Rouge station at night, I could see it being a somewhat intimidating environment for women and older people.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 2:50 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not an entirely unreasonable question... many of the BRT stations are very isolated. I used to live in Riverview and while I was OK with using the Fort Rouge station at night, I could see it being a somewhat intimidating environment for women and older people.
Osborne and Fort Rouge stations were bad enough. I can only imagine the new ones, late at night... especially if wildlife get into play. Its not like the area is completely void of deer. It's not just a security matter, of being chased at or screamed at by a bunch of methheads... but its also just safety concerns in general. Winnipeg Transit needs to do something about station safety.

Unless the MLCC mentality of "lets sit on our hands and do nothing until someone gets hurt" will prevail with 'rapid transit' safety & security? Granted I've seen surprisingly worse in Calgary... for example, I've never seen WPS run around with M-16s at the bus stop, thats practically overkill lol. But a security presence should be very much on display, around these remote stations.

That, or encourage private investment nearby (24 hour convenient stores and some TOD?) to encourage foot traffic & make it feel a little safer.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
That, or encourage private investment nearby (24 hour convenient stores and some TOD?) to encourage foot traffic & make it feel a little safer.
For what it's worth, I'm not aware that there have been any problems at the stations... it's just that they are somewhat isolated which might lead to a somewhat uncomfortable feeling for some passengers.

I would imagine that the situation has changed somewhat at the Fort Rouge Station as TOD has been built adjacent to it since I moved out of the area. So it probably doesn't feel like a dark void at night the way it used to. But it could take a while before that happens with the other stations, especially the new ones that will be opening soon.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:45 PM

Quote:
This is no different then any other station in the city.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 6:53 PM

Do any of you know which Federal program the City got the funding for RT from? was it the Public transit Infrastructure Fund?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
This is no different then any other station in the city.
I'd say it's quite different... not to say bad things can't happen at a bus stop on Portage Avenue or Henderson Highway, but there tend to be more people around, cars going by, places to take shelter in. The BRT stations, on the other hand, tend to be surrounded by vast open spaces that are mostly dark at night.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:43 PM

Probably safer at any of those stations then you are going to the liquor store. Seriously.

For all the stuff that goes on, I do not find Winnipeg to be unsafe in by daily life. Have had virtually zero incidents besides my car being broken into in my back lane.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Probably safer at any of those stations then you are going to the liquor store. Seriously.

For all the stuff that goes on, I do not find Winnipeg to be unsafe in by daily life. Have had virtually zero incidents besides my car being broken into in my back lane.
I would agree with you in terms of my own personal experience, but the experience of men and women can be two totally different things.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 9:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I would agree with you in terms of my own personal experience, but the experience of men and women can be two totally different things.
In any and every city, yes, this is very true.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
In any and every city, yes, this is very true.
Well... I don't want to be a Debbie downer but let's just say that the gap is more pronounced in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:25 AM

"Jeff Browaty: the voice of reason on transit" is a concept I never thought possible. I've had enough of this decade.

Quote:
Councillors send 'loud message,' reject proposed Winnipeg Transit cuts

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...565838382.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Well... I don't want to be a Debbie downer but let's just say that the gap is more pronounced in Winnipeg.
The gap between men vs women's safety? Are Winnipeg women especially frail or something? Or Winnipeg men are tougher than men elsewhere? That doesn't really make sense

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
The gap between men vs women's safety? Are Winnipeg women especially frail or something? Or Winnipeg men are tougher than men elsewhere? That doesn't really make sense

Once again, the suburban view.

Suburban women -= drives a 4x4 or SUV. Probably took some sort of self-defense course in the late 80s (cough).

Inner city women -= Life didn't quite work out. Is on disability EIA. Maybe uses a cane or walker. Couldn't afford or whatever.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:09 PM

What the hell is everybody on about?

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
What the hell is everybody on about?
this forum needs an upvote/downvote button

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
this forum needs an upvote/downvote button
I'd be all in favour of that!

This whole BS debate about whether women are safe downtown or feel safe being argued about by guys in their 20's and 30's, gimme a break!

Wife buses to work downtown as does the predominantly female work force around her, the consensus is that not one feels safe downtown and most have faced numerous incidents that would be considered threatening and worse. Lets face it, Winnipeg's downtown is inhabited by a small group that have no business being downtown in the first place, none work or shop downtown, frequent any restaurants or any other establishment, they're just there looking to prey upon anyone they see fit.

The whole left wing, hug a skell, they have addictions leave them alone bullshit is why they are there in the first place, the eunuch Bowman and his lapdog police chief nor the previous chief "hug a thug" Devon Clueless offer(d) no solutions to the problem nor do the current provincial govt. or the previous failed speNDP regime whose answer was to ignore the problem.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I'd be all in favour of that!

This whole BS debate about whether women are safe downtown or feel safe being argued about by guys in their 20's and 30's, gimme a break!

Wife buses to work downtown as does the predominantly female work force around her, the consensus is that not one feels safe downtown and most have faced numerous incidents that would be considered threatening and worse. Lets face it, Winnipeg's downtown is inhabited by a small group that have no business being downtown in the first place, none work or shop downtown, frequent any restaurants or any other establishment, they're just there looking to prey upon anyone they see fit.

The whole left wing, hug a skell, they have addictions leave them alone bullshit is why they are there in the first place, the eunuch Bowman and his lapdog police chief nor the previous chief "hug a thug" Devon Clueless offer(d) no solutions to the problem nor do the current provincial govt. or the previous failed speNDP regime whose answer was to ignore the problem.

I'm surprised you don't like Bowman. I can agree though that if the NDP were still in power in this province that they'd be sticking their heads in the sand over downtown (and other areas) safety. And I totally agree that Smyth's comments and almost "giving up" words are not good for Police moral nor Winnipeg citizen's comfort.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 2:19 AM

Inflationary fare increase in effect January 1, 2020

New Transit fares will be in effect on January 1, 2020. The increase is inflationary.
Full cash fares will be $3.00, Senior and Youth cash fares will be $2.50. New rates for tickets and passes will also be in effect January 1, 2020.
2019 bus tickets *plus applicable cash difference will be accepted until March 31, 2020.
Additional fare information can be found here: 2020 Transit fares

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/

Since when did Council pass a fare increase for 2020?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan