HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
When did the minimum price come in? I'm guessing it was an act of social engineering and not anything actually helpful
MLCC changed the min price to $2.25 19 years ago in 2001 after a university student died due to over consumption.

CBC has a report from March 2001 here

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 7:41 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
MLCC changed the min price to $2.25 19 years ago in 2001 after a university student died due to over consumption.

CBC has a report from March 2001 here

Right so a social engineering program. It's just taking political advantage of a person's death to make the world less fun
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 8:00 PM
the first stamp is free

In the short term, the minimum drink pricing was a big advantage to the larger clubs that CanadInns ran.

However it all but killed the cheap "pre-game" spots like the Pemby.

For guys like me, without the pre-gaming, we would never bother going to the bigger clubs.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 1:48 AM
Transit Nerd

And of course, with government liquor sales, Manny and others at the helm, nothing ever gets done until someone dies, gets attacked, etc etc...

It would be so nice, if they would just abolish the MLCC back to the stone ages, and let the private sector take hold. Things would be so much better. Especially in terms of economic impacts & being able to start wineries/breweries/etc without any of that Soviet bullshit...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 2:52 AM

Papa Johns Pizza In Dakota Square Is Getting Replace Red Swan Pizza

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Papa Johns Pizza In Dakota Square Is Getting Replace Red Swan Pizza
They just open the Pembina location, a location just opened in Brandon. Locations coming to Winkler and McPhillips

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 9:14 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
They just open the Pembina location, a location just opened in Brandon. Locations coming to Winkler and McPhillips
I wonder... if this is just because of Papa Johns tanking, due to the founders conduct and declining sales? Or because of the fact that Pizza Hotline basically dominates everything inside of the Perimetre?

Too bad they got rid of the only Pizza Hotline location, that they had out in Calgary. I hate the owner of that company for basically treating their employees like utter and total shit (used to work at one, just to get stared down by Jerry without even so much as an introduction, probably because of who my relatives are)... but damn, that pizza was unbeatable. NOTHING in Calgary can beat THAT pizza. The only thing that comes close, is Chicago Deep Dish out here, and only because its $40 for two, it can feed a guy for 4 days straight, and unfortunately - theres no cheaper, 99 cent alternatives.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 1:28 PM

Was “pizza hotline” and “damn that pizza was unbelievable” just used in the same sentence? Wow, not in Winnipeg! The only only only time we ever order from there is if we are feeding an entire young kids birthday party or hockey team but not adults only kids. There’s very few adults that I know that’ll eat their pizza unless it’s being paid by someone else. Their thin crust is bearable. There’s so many more options for only a few bucks more.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 2:34 PM

I enjoy Pizza Hotline... there are cheaper places and there are places that do up a better pizza, but in my opinion Pizza Hotline does a very respectable job on price and quality combined.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Did the reopened Fionn McCools on Regent recently, small portion sizes and food just okay for the price, nothing about the place would want to make me go back!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:31 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Did the reopened Fionn McCools on Regent recently, small portion sizes and food just okay for the price, nothing about the place would want to make me go back!
It reminds me of Original Joes, just the same cookie-cutter bullshit layouts and menus, no soul to the places, and the menus seem like something that came out of someones stoned mind. The OJ's out here are all on the verge of shutting down, and can barely pay their employees wages... I'd imagine Winnipeg's a bit easier without the higher rents and $15/hr to operate, but their menu needs a drastic rethink. Same with Fionns.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Wife and I went there end of November. Other than limited veggie choices (there was no choice) we thoroughly enjoyed the food and dining experience. YMMV

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
Over the holidays, I learned that the Five Guys on Pembina sold shakes. Normally don't go that far on Pembina. Wonder if its the same as in the US.
Five Guys started adding shakes in some test markets after the Winnipeg locations all opened. It is likely still being rolled out throughout their franchise network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Was “pizza hotline” and “damn that pizza was unbelievable” just used in the same sentence? Wow, not in Winnipeg! There’s very few adults that I know that’ll eat their pizza unless it’s being paid by someone else. There’s so many more options for only a few bucks more.
I don't get why people are so in love with Za Bistro when it is the exact same setup as Pizza Hotline except run through a conveyor belt toaster instead of cooked in a proper pizza oven.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Five Guys started adding shakes in some test markets after the Winnipeg locations all opened. It is likely still being rolled out throughout their franchise network.

I don't get why people are so in love with Za Bistro when it is the exact same setup as Pizza Hotline except run through a conveyor belt toaster instead of cooked in a proper pizza oven.
In both companies, ZA & 2222222 their meat selections are gross & disgusting. The bottom of the bottom taste texture and ingredients...I will pay the difference and get a quality pizza thanks just the same.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:57 PM

For pizza, our go to is usually dominos. The thin crust, crunchy crust or whatever it is. Otherwise sometimes do Gondola. Make our own pizza quite frequently. People will be like "eww dominos. Eww gondola" I guess it's whatever your preference is.

There's a place in St B/Vital, I cant remember the name of, that is pretty good. They don't deliver to our area though. Maybe it's a Little Pizza Heaven in Osborne. Can't remember now. It was really good the couple times we had it at the in laws.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 7:43 PM

Try Casa Grande at Sargent & Wall. The best pizza in town. Been ordering from there for years.

http://casagrandepizzeria.ca/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:07 AM

This sounds like an awful idea: "let's allow residents to decide who can run a business"

So we're going to have the wealthy residents of Waterfront, who hate the fact other people live around them, decide who can get a liquor license? This is a joke.

Quote:
Councillor wants residents to have a say before liquor-serving establishments get permits
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ar...566763132.html

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 4:27 AM

Well, some of these establishments are recurring trouble spots, so if the goal is to deal with those rather than simply enabling them to block any attempt at establishing any kind of place with a license, I don't see why the neighborhood shouldn't have a say.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 8:16 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Well, some of these establishments are recurring trouble spots, so if the goal is to deal with those rather than simply enabling them to block any attempt at establishing any kind of place with a license, I don't see why the neighborhood shouldn't have a say.
Maybe if Manny would actually do his job, and force the MLCC to make more inspections at problem joints, along with WPS? That would at least be a start... because the MLCC & City approves all sorts of liquor licenses, yet shit like this & the Windsor keeps popping up, all of the time. Same with most bars along Main. Its not 110% the cops responsibility, its also apart of the MLCC, the same one that let people walk out with entire shelves for the past couple of years... they'll inspect the living hell out of EVERY suburban Winnipeg bar, but never inside of Downtown?!?!

As for the residents? Yeah I'd be pissed too, but not just at the bar owners. The bar owners, unless they're involved and trying to earn money off the side via illegal activities in their bars, aren't wholly to blame. I mostly blame the shit-tastic MLCC, City of Winnipeg inspectors, and various people around Winnipeg that decide to empty clips into others in public places. All over the stupidest shit too. I was at Opera, the same night that guy got shot inside of Johnny G's... it all started because of someone accidentally spilling their drink. And of course, dealers always high off coke or whatever, Tony Montana personality, ego and all... it always comes from what goes on, underneath the radar in Winnipeg.

I blame the City and MLCC. Owners too, if they KNOWINGLY let someone in with a handgun, accepted a bribe, doing business on the side etc etc - something that would've allowed a shooting like that to happen. But if these owners were actually clean...? Then that just leaves the City, MLCC, and maybe a few security guards who either dont make enough momey, or have ties somewhere - in which case, if the business owner actually did background checks & if WPS decided to root them out, these problems would NOT be happening, for nightclubs within the Exchange.

Got to admit though, these rich bourgeoisie-types living in the Exchange... they DO realize they live in Winnipeg, right? In a mixed use, medium density area, no less. Its not like they're in Paris, Berlin or something - and even then, crime DOES happen in the denser areas of a city, such as Manhattan for example. If they can't stand the crime and the nightlife, why move to Downtown Winnipeg? Why not the leafy suburbs of Charleswood, or something? And unless the owner knowingly let his business turn into a drug den, why aren't they demanding more of the City, or the MLCC? WPS can't be blamed either, they are always around the area. If I lived in the Exchange, I'd blame the city, MLCC, and the gangbangers who've left the 1950s in the rearview mirror... something these condo/loft owners do not seem to comprehend.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 2:01 PM

^ From what I gather, it's really mainly that one place at Bannatyne and Princess that is still a trouble spot in the Exchange. Most of the big old weekend nightclubs have long since disappeared, it's just this one that's hanging on and can't seem to make a go of it without catering to a sketchy crowd with the predictable problems ensuing.

It does seem to me that the bigger the club, the more problems there are with it. Maybe the size of these things needs to be capped.

I think the Exchange residents realize that living downtown means a little more noise and action than what you'd encounter in Charleswood. But at the same time I think it's reasonable for them to object when a neighbouring bar ends up being a hotspot for disorderliness or even crime.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan