HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I was laughing at the reaction on Twitter to not having a fence between the promenade and the water. Like let's nerf the world...
There is so much more to complain about.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 12:04 AM

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 3:16 AM
Hammer'd

Doesn't look very inviting to me but I guess its something. Instead of replicating the bones of an old industry with a few yellow beams, there are tons that they could have saved decades ago instead which would have been much more authentic.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Doesn't look very inviting to me but I guess its something. Instead of replicating the bones of an old industry with a few yellow beams, there are tons that they could have saved decades ago instead which would have been much more authentic.
I will agree that it seems a bit "dead". Not sure why. It's a well designed space, but it just feels lifeless. I think it might be a few things:

1) Lack of people. With it just finishing up, there isn't much use. I saw a single other person there.

2) Time of day and other atmosphere like aleck of trees because they've just been planted.

3) Lack of buildings. This park was really designed to correspond with the density beside it, without that it lacks framing.

I do wish the streets of Pier 8 were more Woonerf style, especially along the park sides. It seems oddly disconnected unlike many of Vancouver and Toronto waterfront parks which connect immediately to condo or apartment buildings.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 4:53 PM

When I was there I saw a couple dozen people wandering about. It was a nice afternoon in town but it was cool and windy at the pier. March and April often have that dreary feel about them regardless. I think when the trees and landscaping perk up and people feel comfortable sitting in the lounge chairs at the sandy beach area things will feel different. Although if things go smoothly much of this area could be a construction site for years to come.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2022, 8:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Great news. I'll have to check it out this week. I imagine there's still smaller stuff to be added, but I agree this will feel "complete" once the pier is built out.

Railings... there will be some based on the renders, but it looks like the idea was to allow recreational boats to tie up along the pier, hence those low-slung steel "tubes" at the edge. I don't ever recall people falling in along the eastern 3/4 of the pier either... it will be busier with the new public space, but when they opened up that "industrial" side to shore walking it was pretty busy some evenings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 12:10 PM

Lots of cities have areas along water without fences and I don't recall constantly hearing of people falling. I think it'll be fine

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 5:33 PM

Great stuff

Walked the new walkway and am impressed with it all...great addition to the park system.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2022, 11:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

Photos: Promenade Park opens to the public

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...=&utm_content=

Hamilton’s waterfront vision at Pier 8 is taking shape.

As the fencing comes down, the public can once again access the area along the water’s edge, known as Promenade Park.

The multi-use area, under construction for the past few years, includes several different seating options, a playground, a ‘beach’ with lounge chairs facing the water, a performance stage and unique structures that help define the vision of the developers.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 3:00 AM

I feel that this playground structure is very underwhelming. For a place that is supposed to be a destination, its playground is absolutely not. There are many new playgrounds that are much better then this. I was looking forward to coming here with my kids but ... no.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 11:40 AM

Nice harbour park

No its not wonderland, its entertainment is enjoying a walk around our harbour, and I'm glad it is simply that.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 2:24 PM

The two ends of the ship hulls on the upper section at the playground need to be softened some how. As it is, collisions with heads are inevitable. Maybe just a potted plant would work. Anyway if you’re hoping to go for a walk today it’s been fenced up again. No access. Not sure why?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:57 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
The two ends of the ship hulls on the upper section at the playground need to be softened some how. As it is, collisions with heads are inevitable. Maybe just a potted plant would work. Anyway if you’re hoping to go for a walk today it’s been fenced up again. No access. Not sure why?
Maybe someone hit their head and they are taking your advice lol

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=SteelTown;9591189]Photos: Promenade Park opens to the public

Venture to guess how many other names (and how soon) will be added to these walls in all sorts of fine spray paint?

Really need the residential components to fast-track to bring the daily life to these shores.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:13 PM

By the time all the residential is done here the park will be needing a refresh anyway.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:46 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Venture to guess how many other names (and how soon) will be added to these walls in all sorts of fine spray paint?
Yep. I'd be surprised if things aren't tagged already.

Maybe the corroded metal will be easy to blast clean? Or maybe instead of paint, some jagoff gouges their artistic stylings into the rust on the steel.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 3:44 PM

Pier 8 Aerial by urbanicityHAM, on Twitter

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 4:12 PM

Fantastic shot.

I'd love to see a before shot of that same pier.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 4:58 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2022, 5:08 PM

So what you're telling me is that there's a bit of a difference.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues