HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 4:59 PM

Both Hamilton and Burlington have tried. At the last major overhaul of the bridge, they tried to have a walkway built on the other side of the bridge so people would not have to cross the road to cross the bridge.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 7:53 PM
Ham-burgher

It took something like two decades to get the lighthouse into local hands.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 10:02 PM

Heard from Jason Thorne that the Pier 8 park should be opening soon (I assume this means the next few months).

According to a staff report there were supply chain issues that affected key safety items like lights and guard rails which led to the late opening.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Heard from Jason Thorne that the Pier 8 park should be opening soon (I assume this means the next few months).

According to a staff report there were supply chain issues that affected key safety items like lights and guard rails which led to the late opening.
I’ve been through several times. The construction fence is open in some parts and completely down in one section. It’s a nice walk through. I like the park but the craftsmanship of the concrete work is poor and some of the lines within the metalwork doesn’t flow well. Otherwise it’s a wonderful addition to our wonderful waterfront. Can’t wait for spring! One of the metal ship hull structures is labeled with stencil-like typographic pieces of the water sources which flow into the harbour. It’s quite nice.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 11:10 PM

As for adding a cycle track or better yet, a multi-use path to the lift bridge, it couldn’t be too much of an engineering feat to remove the sidewalk which is on the west side and add a re-enforced path which ha some good flow. I understand it would all take time and it’s about jumping through hoops as it’s federal property but it’s not impossible.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 11:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

This would be amazing, especially if Hamilton would do the same.

City may bury or relocate Hydro towers on Burlington Beach, Spencer Smith Park

https://www.insauga.com/city-may-bur...M83VSu4OgyGJ0g

During an exclusive interview with insauga.com, Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward raised the possibility of the Hydro lines along Burlington Beach being moved or even buried.

Although it might seem like a dream right now, it actually goes back to a 2015 Halton Region report that included a recommendation to spend $12M to make it happen between 2016 and 2020.

“Integral to the updated Master Plan for the Burlington Beach Regional Waterfront Park, is the relocation of the Hydro Towers, which have been located on the beach since 1909,” said the report.

“The City of Burlington has been managing the investigation into the relocation of the towers to date and will be reporting to City Council in the Fall of 2015, to outline options for moving the towers outside the park and away from the public beach area, along with updated cost estimates. In 2013, Hydro One provided options for relocation including cost estimates in the range of $8 to 12 million to relocate the towers. Regional staff recommends that the relocation of the hydro towers be undertaken in Phase 1 of the Master Plan, aligning with the progressive and continued implementation of Phase 1 over the 10 year period.”

Many of the other Phase 1 recommendations, including things like an upgraded gazebo, concrete walkway, pedestrian lighting and benches and additional tree and perennial plantings, were completed, but the Hydro tower relocation was never followed up on.

In fact, the Hydro towers aren’t even mentioned in the last regional update for the area. It seems likely the staff recommendation wasn’t followed seven years ago when the official plan for the Burlington Beach Regional Waterfront Park was adopted.

But it’s back as a talking point now.

“We don’t own that infrastructure, so we are in regular negotiations with those folks who do own it to see what is feasible and who would pay for it,” said Meed Ward. “So some of those studies are underway.”

“It’s a work in progress.”

Although it would be the more expensive option, Meed Ward said there is support to bite the bullet now and just bury the lines, which would provide the best outcome.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
This would be amazing, especially if Hamilton would do the same.

City may bury or relocate Hydro towers on Burlington Beach, Spencer Smith Park

https://www.insauga.com/city-may-bur...M83VSu4OgyGJ0g

During an exclusive interview with insauga.com, Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward raised the possibility of the Hydro lines along Burlington Beach being moved or even buried.

Although it might seem like a dream right now, it actually goes back to a 2015 Halton Region report that included a recommendation to spend $12M to make it happen between 2016 and 2020.

“Integral to the updated Master Plan for the Burlington Beach Regional Waterfront Park, is the relocation of the Hydro Towers, which have been located on the beach since 1909,” said the report.
With all the images of the beach, I was wondering if this would ever happen. I placated myself thinking it would never happen though. What a great way to get jinx'd by the city. Which beaches are these, though? It doesn't include the map.

This strikes me as the kind of thing that would profoundly change the waterfront and what it is, forever. Maybe I'm overestimating the implications, but historically the beaches were very popular, no? I'm less familiar with the area today.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
I’ve been through several times. The construction fence is open in some parts and completely down in one section. It’s a nice walk through. I like the park but the craftsmanship of the concrete work is poor and some of the lines within the metalwork doesn’t flow well. Otherwise it’s a wonderful addition to our wonderful waterfront. Can’t wait for spring! One of the metal ship hull structures is labeled with stencil-like typographic pieces of the water sources which flow into the harbour. It’s quite nice.
I've tried to find a way in a few times but noticed they had security hanging around and since I started working and bring an adult I didn't want to get a trespassing charge. I've been desperate to check it out though.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I've tried to find a way in a few times but noticed they had security hanging around and since I started working and bring an adult I didn't want to get a trespassing charge. I've been desperate to check it out though.
You won’t get a trespassing charge in there. I often see people walk through or just sitting on a bench. Adults too Often older couples. It’ll be spring before they take the fence down.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
You won’t get a trespassing charge in there. I often see people walk through or just sitting on a bench. Adults too Often older couples. It’ll be spring before they take the fence down.
There are no trespassing signs. I don't want to risk it after getting a hefty ticket for walking past a similar sign while on a hike.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 3:54 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
With all the images of the beach, I was wondering if this would ever happen. I placated myself thinking it would never happen though. What a great way to get jinx'd by the city. Which beaches are these, though? It doesn't include the map.
Along Lake Ontario, between Spencer Smith Park and the ship channel.

If Burlington/Halton was able to get this idea going (and those costs seem very reasonable, even though they'd be higher in today's dollars) it would make a whole lot of sense for Hamilton to join and do it all right down to Van Wagner's. Maybe the province would chip in, since Hydro One is their baby.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Along Lake Ontario, between Spencer Smith Park and the ship channel.

If Burlington/Halton was able to get this idea going (and those costs seem very reasonable, even though they'd be higher in today's dollars) it would make a whole lot of sense for Hamilton to join and do it all right down to Van Wagner's. Maybe the province would chip in, since Hydro One is their baby.
I had a feeling that was the beach; I can't imagine them only doing half. It would both look ridiculous and likely make the actual burying process far more difficult. Especially at such a low cost; with the typical costs of infrastructure being so high, seeing something like $8-12 million is really refreshing, making the cost of an entire hydro line going underground being in the $20-$25 million range. I mentally associated this type of effort costing at least $100 million, but that might be because I've read too many UT forums about burying their hydro corridors.

I double down on my previous statement; this would absolutely unlock the 'other' waterfront to a range of possibilities, the likes of which we have never seen. I mean, power lines on a beach? Really? And now to have those potentially gone? The cities should be way more ambitious with this than they are. This will attract businesses, dense development (especially near Stoney Creek and Burlington's ends) and demand for trails and bike paths. I don't know what's already there, but a long and proper Hamilton-Burlington beach screams GTHA tourist potential. The Burlington, Stoney Creek & Grimsby waterfronts have all seen lots of activity in recent decades independent of Hamilton's new activity anyway, so there's certainly beach living demand. I'm fairly certain Unbuilt Hamilton documents some early lakefill neighbourhood proposals around here that never came to fruition.

This side of the harbour likely sees less lake pollution, too. Might actually be swimmable with some remediation effort. All we need now is for the old rail link here to be reinstated, and I'll be satisfied. A beach tram/"LRT" would really tie it all together (21st-century Hamilton-Burlington connection, anyone?), and certainly isn't unprecedented given the history of the area. That's all wishful thinking for now; Priority 0 is the hydro lines. I don't think even the QEW as a nuisance is that big of a deal in comparison. Truly great stuff, even if only the Burlington half is somehow the only part submerged.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 5:46 PM
Ham-burgher

It's about 2 km long on the Burlington side, but 5+ km along Hamilton's beachfront. So costs would probably be almost 4 times what's quoted in that article to do the whole thing (not accounting for any escalation in implementation costs). Still worth it IMO.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

Burlington’s Canal Lift Bridge will be getting redesign to make it safer, easier to navigate
https://www.insauga.com/burlingtons-...r-to-navigate/

The $1.86M contract was announced by Filomena Tassi, Minister of Public Services and Procurement.

“The Burlington Canal is an important route for both local and national transportation needs,” said Tassi.

“These improvements to the Burlington Lift Bridge will help reduce gridlock, increase access for pedestrians and cyclists, and extend the lifespan of the bridge.”

AECOM will design and replace the lift span’s bridge deck, restore the approach spans and widen the sidewalk areas to allow more space for pedestrians and cyclists to cross safely and also improve traffic flow.

These changes are expected ensure the safety of bridge users for years to come. This project will provide a boost to the local economy and extend and maximize the life of the bridge by approximately 50 years for both the deck and sidewalk, and around 30 years for the approaches.

The construction contract is expected to be issued by late summer 2022, with construction anticipated to begin in winter 2023, and completed by the middle of 2024.

Since 1830, five different moveable bridges have been located on this site.

The current bridge was opened in 1962 and carried two lanes of vehicular traffic across the canal. This structure was originally designed to carry train tracks for the Hamilton-Northwestern railway. The train tracks were removed in 1982 and the road widened to four lanes.

The bridge spans the width of the Burlington Canal which was opened in 1826. Once a narrow cut, the canal now provides Burlington Bay (Hamilton Harbour) with navigable access to the Atlantic Ocean.

The bridge structure is a tower driven, vertical lift and moveable bridge. The lift span is 116 metres long, weighs 1,996 tons, and has a vertical lift of 33.5 metres.

Since its installation, the bridge has been operated in excess of 200,000 times, allowing the passage of over 400,000 vessels. Annually, the bridge will operate approximately 4,000 times, allowing approximately 6,500 vessels to pass through the canal. This also includes more than 1,000 large cargo-carrying vessels.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 2:31 PM

Impeccable timing lol. I wonder if we’ll lose the metal bridge deck, it’s a pretty unique thing right now.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:54 PM

Perfect. That sounds like they are estimating a year and a half to complete? A pleasant surprise for sure. A good federal project to boost the local economy as we ease out of the pandemic. Here’s hoping for pedestrian and cycling lanes on both east and west sides considering both approaches will be upgraded.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 9:22 PM
Ham-burgher

Pics of work at Pier 6, in today's Spec. I wonder how that wood will fare vs. the ice; ice usually wins.

https://www.thespec.com/photos/2022/...-redesign.html

Workers at Pier 6 add wooden cladding to the outside of the new steel pier being created as part of the redesign of Piers 6, 7 and 8.

Some of the workers were breaking the ice directly under the new pier so that others could install the wooden sections down to the water level. The cladding gives the pier a finished appearance and is easier on the hulls of any boats that may pull in alongside it in the future.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 6:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

During the Bruce Kuwabara presentation, it was mentioned by one of the City staff that the Pier 8 Gateway Park would be completed this summer.

https://www.hamilton.ca/city-initiat...8-gateway-park

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 6:17 PM

Pier 8 Promenade Park is open to the public. Construction fencing has been removed.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Pier 8 Promenade Park is open to the public. Construction fencing has been removed.
I was laughing at the reaction on Twitter to not having a fence between the promenade and the water. Like let's nerf the world...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues