HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 6:56 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
SoMa Grand looks a little more 'traditional San Francisco' with fields of smallish windows set in areas of plain light colored facade panels. There are some areas with glass, but maybe not enough. Was this due to economics? With the new Trinity Plaza soon to rise nearby, we might see improvement to the entire composition of the area that includes the San Francisco Federal Building. Also, the western facade of SoMa Grand will become more hidden as Trinity grows up.
It's too bad that the Eastern facade will never be hidden!!!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 7:03 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I think (maybe hope is more accurate) it will become more of a background building as it was meant to be. Between the Arquitectonica, beauty on one side and screaming-for-attention Federal building on the other I think people won't mind it nearly as much. You might barely notice it between those two.
Peanut, you'd have to be blind to not see it from the Federal Building plaza--it's atrocious from that perspective precisely because of what is next to it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:00 AM

I think the building would work better if the beige/orangish color was changed to something silvery...It would blend in next to the metallic looking federal building, and on overcast days it would blend in even more, drawing attention away from it's boring design...then I think the eye would be drawn to the Federal building like it should be, rather than the out-of place looking SOMA Grand.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 12:07 PM
BANNED

^^^I think everyone will be surprised at how much it recedes in prominence once Trinity Plaza is built. You still won't be able to avoid seeing it from the 7th/Mission corner, but from mid-block it will "go away".

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 8:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
Peanut, you'd have to be blind to not see it from the Federal Building plaza--it's atrocious from that perspective precisely because of what is next to it.
Well, sure, I'm not saying it will literally disappear from view. From some angles, seeing it will be unavoidable. But in general, from many directions, I don't think it will stand out as much as it does today. Time will tell.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 10:35 PM

Trinity Plaza will be slightly taller and spread far wider than SoMa Grand to the west. SoMa Grand can be seen as the grayed out building at the far right of this rendering.

Photo by peanut gallery:

As I am hoping, the colors, shapes and textures of Trinity Plaza might help tie SoMa Grand and the Federal Building in somewhat as a group. It's just a bit unfortunate that the more outstanding Federal Building causes the more conventional SoMa Grand to look worse being next to it by comparison from the southeastern views.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 11:29 PM

time to send this one to the completed buildings forum as well.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:25 AM
Everywhere all at once

I actually had no idea that this building was right next to the new federal building by Morphosis. Once Trinity Plaza is also complete, this is going to be a really dense and interesting block.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 4:48 AM
BANNED

^^^You can actually see all three together in this photo ( ):

Source: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BAAS101V1O.DTL

In the distant background (behind the Main Library) is the Thom Mayne/Morphosis Federal Building, to its right is the SOMA Grand (aka 1146-1160 Mission) and finally, to the SG's right is the new tower crane for construction of Trinity Plaza.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive