HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 4:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
wtf City place isn't ugly. At the very least it's no uglier than any other early 20th centure Chicago style mega building that Manhattan is filled with today.

Maybe your revulsion could be put to better use on the Radisson.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:19 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

...and onto the next page we go!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
It will be interesting to see how the skywalk blends into City Place from TNS from a visual prospective.
Can't be any worse than the current one that connects to the arena... it's hideous. However I'm sure they'll redo it when they connect the new TNS skywalk. The cityplace-Library skywalk actually blends fairly well with both buildings.

I'd love to see skywalks treated almost as art installations with really cool designs in the future, as it's often nearly impossible to pick a design that works with both buildings being connected. Just look at the horrific Portage Place ones. They also ALL need to be lit better underneath.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

sure changed since i last saw it

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 5:57 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Can't be any worse than the current one that connects to the arena... it's hideous. However I'm sure they'll redo it when they connect the new TNS skywalk. The cityplace-Library skywalk actually blends fairly well with both buildings.

I'd love to see skywalks treated almost as art installations with really cool designs in the future, as it's often nearly impossible to pick a design that works with both buildings being connected. Just look at the horrific Portage Place ones. They also ALL need to be lit better underneath.
Well, at the time of when Portage Place was being planned it was, what, 1984, which your Mama and Papa's generation were promoting 1984 "as if" it were the 1940s or like 1946...so the dark red and cream colours of the Skywalks over Portage Ave. were painted such because teey (the developers) were trying to be "hip" with the times and make it resemble 1940s post WW II colours.

This Dark Red & Cream colours were popular in fashion again, during the Fall of 2016 early 2017. My theory is that both President Trump and Hillary Clinton were born in post war years, so the fashion moguls were "trying to say something" here. I bought a few items with this colours scheme last Fall.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=red+and+cr...b=v69-5&ia=web

If Portage Pl. had been conceived in the 2000s, I'm quite sure that the colour scheme of the skywalk over Portage Ave would have been "Martha Stewart green", popular in 2002.

^^ Martha Stewart Green is a bit darker of a tint/shade here.

And who was the assholes who painted over the green and red of Polo Park ceilings and made them "brown" years ago? That is ugly how it is NOW.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:57 AM

They brought in some pre-cast concrete stairs today. That answers the question of how do the residents get to the 25th floor.

They closed the sidewalk while a huge piece of metal and wood work was removed from under the top floor to the top floor. For a brief second the structure appeared to almost snag a piece of some other structure, a wooden fence, up top but it cleared.

I heard cars parked on Hargrave have been damaged by falling concrete but it would cost too much money to close the street so they just pay the claims.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I heard cars parked on Hargrave have been damaged by falling concrete but it would cost too much money to close the street so they just pay the claims.
Is that not a serious safety concern? Damaged cars is one thing but you can't just pay a claim on someone's head

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:06 PM

"I heard'. The truth is out there. MPIC and TNSE know what's up. If it's a false story then no problems. If it's true then somebody messed up. Tens of thousands of dollars to close the street.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:10 PM

Would have to think a company as competent as PCL would be smarter than to carry on in that situation considering the possibility for massive lawsuits and horrible PR if someone was to get injured that way... That, or WH&S would shut them down or force them to cover it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 3:33 PM

There was almost a fight yesterday when a PCL employee would not let a City Place security person past a sidewalk barrier. It ended with the City Place person backing down.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
They brought in some pre-cast concrete stairs today. That answers the question of how do the residents get to the 25th floor.

They closed the sidewalk while a huge piece of metal and wood work was removed from under the top floor to the top floor. For a brief second the structure appeared to almost snag a piece of some other structure, a wooden fence, up top but it cleared.

There were parking restriction signs on Hargrave this morning when I came to work at 7am. I wonder if this is related to potential stuff falling off the forms when being flown out.

Yesterday I was held about 15 minutes in the City Place parkade exit when leaving work while one set was being pulled out and flown to the next level.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 3:58 PM
There is always a way

Quietly, the residential tower is starting to pick up some speed. That's a solid 3 floors in the last month. My guess is it will almost be the same height as the office building when it tops out. It will be close. Very exciting nonetheless to see how much progress is taking place!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:26 AM

TDS has a firm move-in deadline of July 2018, as they have to be out of their current space by July 31. PCL has said they're on schedule for that, with TDS being the first tenant to move in, and Tower 1 should be fully complete and ready for all tenants to take possession by October, with Tower 2 ready Summer 2019.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 1:03 PM
What could go wrong?

The schedule was such that Tower 2 would basically catch Tower 1 in height as construction went on. Much smaller floor plate.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
TDS has a firm move-in deadline of July 2018, as they have to be out of their current space by July 31. PCL has said they're on schedule for that, with TDS being the first tenant to move in, and Tower 1 should be fully complete and ready for all tenants to take possession by October, with Tower 2 ready Summer 2019.
How much space is TDS leasing?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:49 PM

Upper 3 floors. Not sure what the area is, but they have the floor plans on the TNS website.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 3:32 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Upper 3 floors. Not sure what the area is, but they have the floor plans on the TNS website.
I believe each floor is about 20,000 sq ft. So a total of about 60,000 I think, which is a decent amount.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 9:26 PM

Man, they're moving faster than I expected, for sure!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 3:19 AM

If you have a chance to drive down Carlton, you should. Really get a feel for how immense (and dense) this project is. That plaza is going to feel overwhelming, in a good way. Can't wait for Sutton Place to go ahead, it's going to be an awesome experience on Carlton, if they get towers 3 and 4 right.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:54 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^ I remember how I always hated the shitty CityPlace surface parking lot, in that it was such a void in a rather dense area of downtown.

....i know, all surface lots are voids, but for some reason the CityPlace lot really stuck out for me.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan