HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:23 PM

Should we be at all concerned that the entire big fancy skywalk connection to Sutton Place is no longer in there, the SP renderings were the only ones not updated, and that that whole side of the south building facing Carlton seems to be very closed off (and yes, that "park" connection to the Cathedral is gone)?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:35 PM

TNS is still way behind 300 Main St.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 7:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
TNS is still way behind 300 Main St.
^ haha. That is true.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Should we be at all concerned that the entire big fancy skywalk connection to Sutton Place is no longer in there, the SP renderings were the only ones not updated, and that that whole side of the south building facing Carlton seems to be very closed off (and yes, that "park" connection to the Cathedral is gone)?
The Sutton Place renderings were just something slapped together. I wouldn't expect it to look like that in the end. I noticed they had the skywalk connection to SP greyed out at the plaza open house a couple months back. Maybe they don't show it as the design of SP is up in the air. Render also looks nicer without it shown.

Also on SP, the original TNS renders released the same day as the SP renders, showed SP being the same colour scheme as TNS. With the glass and red highlights. SO all along its been a mish mash.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 1:00 PM
What could go wrong?

The Sutton Place renderings were done as placeholders. At the time of their release there was absolutely zero design done. I have an idea that they will look nothing like the initial visuals.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 3:20 PM
BANNED

Let's hope they look better eh? I would prefer a design less chunky, and more refinement like Sheraton Wall Centre.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I thought there was something about the Cathedral selling or developing what is currently a parking lot on the west side of their property. This could both explain the changes to the development near that area and the lack of a skywalk to Sutton Place as the plan might be to go through the building on the parking lot instead of the original longer curved skywalk.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 5:07 PM

Oct.28

Needed an update picture to this project, haven't seen one in weeks, just a bee hive of activity. Foundation is moving along at a fantastic clip, the weather has been cooperating quite nicely.

http://www.truenorthsquare.com/devel...ructionupdate/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 4:11 AM

True north square is looking for a project manager http://www.tnse.com/join-our-team/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 11:12 PM

I noticed today that the foundation contractor has taken their track crawler crane and the last of the drilling rigs out of the "hole". It also appears that they are removing the earth ramp as well so in a few days everything should be coming in by the tower cranes.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:15 PM

I can see why. Looks like theyr'e forming basement floor now. This thing should start moving right along now. TN had said recently they would be out of the ground by December. Looks like they're on track.

I also think the concrete pump they have on site is pretty cool Used to see that attached to a large truck these days. This one looks like same equipment, except attached to some kind of foundation.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I also think the concrete pump they have on site is pretty cool Used to see that attached to a large truck these days. This one looks like same equipment, except attached to some kind of foundation.

]
What you see is a remote boom. There is a truck mounted pump (you can sort of see the red pump next to the fence) on Hargrave that pushes the concrete to the boom for placement. Years ago the concrete would have been flown over the site in a dump bucket by the tower cranes.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:19 PM

So, is this project still Site Prep? I'd say its a little further along than that if they're forming basement floors!?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:42 PM
ARTchitecture

Why is this marked as site prep? Site prep is only when the site is being cleared, construction starts when excavation starts, and even still, this project is already at the foundation pouring stage! Either way though, really happy to see this project going ahead so quickly! Winnipeg's own little LA Live!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:10 PM

This should be changed to U/C .

I have to say that this downtown project should set the benchmark for other downtown projects in Winnipeg.

Not only is this project hopefully going to shoot some life into downtown Winnipeg but it is a project that will connect its residents all year round. The skywalk addition to the project was tremendously wise as it is going to give these residents a comfortable alternative to major shopping centres like the Bay and Portage place all year round.

If other downtown projects took advantage of the skywalk system, our downtown would be much more walkable in a different sense. And it would make driving less of a necessity.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:27 PM

Well the nitpicks of SSP say it can only be changed to U/C once a piece of the structure is above grade. So far, that hasn't happened. Although there's obviously construction going on. The idea is that it could stop and the hole be filled in I presume.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
This should be changed to U/C .

I have to say that this downtown project should set the benchmark for other downtown projects in Winnipeg.

Not only is this project hopefully going to shoot some life into downtown Winnipeg but it is a project that will connect its residents all year round. The skywalk addition to the project was tremendously wise as it is going to give these residents a comfortable alternative to major shopping centres like the Bay and Portage place all year round.

If other downtown projects took advantage of the skywalk system, our downtown would be much more walkable in a different sense. And it would make driving less of a necessity.
All the major proposals are connected to the sky walk system. TNS, SkyCity, 300 Main. There aren't many more lots that would be able to connect without a major expansion of the skywalk itself. The one on Graham. The lots that MPI currently has on hold at St. Mary and Donald.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 4:30 AM

I'm having a hard time visualizing how they will get 240 cars in a two floor parkade

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
All the major proposals are connected to the sky walk system. TNS, SkyCity, 300 Main. There aren't many more lots that would be able to connect without a major expansion of the skywalk itself. The one on Graham. The lots that MPI currently has on hold at St. Mary and Donald.
The missing link on the south branch of the skywalk is the empty lot to the west of the Convention Center where Lakeview has their on/off again development (hotel /condo /office tower / ??? ) going up on.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
I'm having a hard time visualizing how they will get 240 cars in a two floor parkade
6 rows of 20 cars per floor or 4 rows of 30 per floor?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan