HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 9:26 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
Quite honestly every city has ugly parts. Paris, New York, Hong Kong, Tokyo, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, Frankfurt, Sydney, Montréal and many other world class cities do.
Yes, but their ugly parts do not include mile-long strips of Champs-Elysees, Fifth Avenue, the Strand, Michigan Avenue, Ste. Catherines, etc.

Portage Avenue is one of Winnipeg's heartbreakingly ugly parts.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 10:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLENDALOVER View Post
Winnipeg sounds like a wonderful place to visit... and live. AND I adore all the Winnipeggers I've known!
thank you now if we could get over out inferority coplex. lol but hey this city is slowly coming out of its shell and will become the winnipeg it should be mark my words felllow peggers. its an exciting time to live in such a wonderfull hiden gem

i love my city

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:51 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

World class?

If Winnipeg were "world class", it wouldn't feel the need to trumpet its every miniscule accomplishment as such. Does Rome? Does Amsterdam? Does New York? Does Montreal? Does San Francisco? Only the desperate declare their efforts "world class."

If Winnipeg were "world class", the Downtown BIZ and CentreVenture wouldn't exist and every surface parking lot downtown would be replaced by a mixed-use 3-6 story building of architectural repute.

If Winnipeg were "world class", the residents of suburban Winnipeg would be clamouring to live downtown because they weren't at the centre of a fashionable, creative and vibrant city.

If Winnipeg were "world class", Portage Avenue would be packed with people day and night.

If Winnipeg were "world class", cruise night would not be tolerated.

If Winnipeg were "world class", people would greet IKEA's arrival with a yawn, pointing out the one-of-a-kind custom-designed furniture they paid a premium for.

If Winnipeg were "world class", neither the hypocritical suburban-teet-sucking provincial NDP nor the imagination-deprived provincial Tories would have any say whatsoever in the fate of this city.

If Winnipeg were "world class", we wouldn't be discussing a police helicopter, we would be discussing how better to educate, encourage and befriend our disadvantaged youth.

If Winnipeg were "world class", Sam Katz wouldn't be mayor.

If Winnipeg were "world class", it would celebrate its big thinkers and its innovators, not ostracize them.

If Winnipeg were "world class", the NDP would lose the next election because of both Waverly West and Crocus.

If Winnipeg were "world class", Manitoba Homecoming wouldn't exist.

If Winnipeg were "world class", you'd dress better.

If Winnipeg were "world class", people would flee southwest Winnipeg, instead of flocking to it.

If Winnipeg were "world class", it would acknowledge the racism of its police force.

If Winnipeg were "world class", it would stop treating aboriginals like second-class citizens.

If Winnipeg were "world class", the barriers at Portage & Main would've been torn down by now.

If Winnipeg were "world class", you wouldn't care about parking because you'd sell your car and ride rapid transit.

If Winnipeg were "world class", I wouldn't have to write this.

Last edited by Pootkao; Jan 19, 2010 at 8:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:52 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

why does it even matter

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 8:06 AM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Take a look around, Adrian.

It matters now more than ever.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 8:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no why does it matter if its world class it should be done right not world class thats just sales men talk

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

The only "world class" thing Winnipeg has ever had were the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 10:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
The only "world class" thing Winnipeg has ever had were the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL.
You are 100% correct.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
Is getting eliminated from the playoffs in February "world class"?

I don't think Winnipeg is a world-class city, but then neither is any other Canadian city. Toronto and Vancouver may have more world-class credentials than other Canadian cities, but neither of them are in the same league as a New York, London, Tokyo or Paris. Does that make them (or us) a less pleasant city in which to live? Not in my eyes.

I wouldn't get caught up in these silly labels. 1ajs is right: world class is a salesman's pitch that gets invoked whenever they want to sell you something glitzy and expensive, like retractable roof stadiums, pricey cultural venues, and yes, NHL teams.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 12:49 PM
BANNED

Are Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, Toledo, Grand Rapids, Des Moines, Omaha, Colombus..."world-class"? Nah!

Let's focus on making this God-forsaken city as good as it can be! For instance, the province has passed the TIF Bill, but it is taking what seems like forever for the city and province to designate areas for this...c'mon folks: get it done!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Maybe Winnipeg could aspire to get to the next level with cities at that level such as Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, Salt Lake City, Portland, Minneapolis, etc.

Kudos to Pootkao for NAILING it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 4:37 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^^ Of course Pootkao nailed it - that was a World Class quote.

...for christ sake rrskylar, stop making sense, I am finding it annoying already.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:06 PM
the first stamp is free

Pootkao - I'll agree with just about everything except the "dress better" point.

Whether or not a city is world class would have no bearing on me dressing like some prissy douchebag with pointed shoes, stripped slacks and a tucked in designer t-shirt. Not that this is a "world class" wardrobe, however it was the style-du-jour I noticed while last in Calgary, which seems to be one of the cities Winnipeg should aspire to.

That and the obvious that -30C, and designer clothing do not mix on any level, especially with all this talk about walking, transit, etc. which would involve lots of time outdoors.

I walk to work daily from my "trendy" inner city neighbourhood. And guess what - I sport my winter boots, bulky down filled parka and zero fashion sense, thank you very much.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Pootkao - I'll agree with just about everything except the "dress better" point.

Whether or not a city is world class would have no bearing on me dressing like some prissy douchebag with pointed shoes, stripped slacks and a tucked in designer t-shirt. Not that this is a "world class" wardrobe, however it was the style-du-jour I noticed while last in Calgary, which seems to be one of the cities Winnipeg should aspire to.

That and the obvious that -30C, and designer clothing do not mix on any level, especially with all this talk about walking, transit, etc. which would involve lots of time outdoors.

I walk to work daily from my "trendy" inner city neighbourhood. And guess what - I sport my winter boots, bulky down filled parka and zero fashion sense, thank you very much.
You don't have to wear designer clothes to dress better. And it is possible to dress warm and look good at the same time. It just take a bit of effort.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:17 PM
the first stamp is free

^ I take it you don't walk 40 minutes each way to and from work during the winter in Winnipeg.

I am not sure what "nice" clothes you can wear to avoid being uncomfortably cold.

Of course all this goes back to the point of caring about how you look at -30C. Again fashion sense and potentially dangerous arctic conditions do not mix. Maybe Canada Goose manufactures a shapely parka I don't know about?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudiger View Post
You don't have to wear designer clothes to dress better. And it is possible to dress warm and look good at the same time. It just take a bit of effort.
Head of the nail, meet the hammer. I've travelled to many cities across Canada and the US, including those in colder climates, and it IS possible without plastering yourself with A&F clothing. Us frugal Winnipeg have been known to be some of the most "slobbishly" dressed people in the country, and I can honestly say based on what I see around the city, I agree. It's embarrasing. Take some pride, Winnipeggers; tuck in your shirt and wear something other than sweats with holes in them. And for God sakes, loose the fucking mullets!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:31 PM
the first stamp is free

^ oh really. Name one other city of 3/4 million you have visited that experiences the same degree of winter that Winnipeg does. -15C is not the same as -30C plus windchill.

I am not saying you can't wear anything nice under your winter gear, but wow, either you guys are too young to know better (hey I didn't wear mitts in high school either) or simply don't spend enough time outdoors in winter.

It's no wonder everyone bitches about the winter here. If you are more concerned about your hair or your shoes matching your designer "winter" jacket, you are going to be cold and miserable any time you step out the door from December to April.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 5:33 PM

Quote:
^ I take it you don't walk 40 minutes each way to and from work during the winter in Winnipeg.

I am not sure what "nice" clothes you can wear to avoid being uncomfortably cold.

Of course all this goes back to the point of caring about how you look at -30C. Again fashion sense and potentially dangerous arctic conditions do not mix. Maybe Canada Goose manufactures a shapely parka I don't know about?
I live on Assiniboine and walk everywhere, so yeah, I do spend more than 40 minutes out in the cold. It's called layering. A long-sleave shirt, sweater, winter pea coat, nice toque & scarf and leather winter boots do the job just fine. Not a revolutionary look, but it works for me.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 6:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
^ oh really. Name one other city of 3/4 million you have visited that experiences the same degree of winter that Winnipeg does. -15C is not the same as -30C plus windchill.

I am not saying you can't wear anything nice under your winter gear, but wow, either you guys are too young to know better (hey I didn't wear mitts in high school either) or simply don't spend enough time outdoors in winter.

It's no wonder everyone bitches about the winter here. If you are more concerned about your hair or your shoes matching your designer "winter" jacket, you are going to be cold and miserable any time you step out the door from December to April.
Why restrict a city to population size? Try Des Moines, Regina, Saskatoon and Edmonton. These are all cities that experience the same climate Winnipeg does. And I can tell you that based on what I've seen, on average, these are better dressed cities than Winnipeg. Far fewer sweats with holes in them and untucked shirts with their guts hanging out (minus homeless people), and FAR fewer mullets. Not saying there aren't any at all, but are MUCH less noticable than in Winnipeg. Climate is no excuse for having a poor appearance, and I don't buy it as one.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2010, 7:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Now this isn't world class discussion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan