HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:31 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
i will say this and then never speak of it again:

it is not related to nustar.

it is not any sort of hotel project.

it is not something that has already been mentioned or rumored here.

it is not something that i have any idea of a timeline on.
I like everything that I'm hearing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:30 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
This isn't really an update...well maybe lol...but just wanted to say that I moved to San Antonio yesterday. It's been my dream for the last six years to live here and I finally got it. Haven't had a chance to go DT yet...been to busy, but will this week. I have to stop and remind myself that downtown is at my fingertips and just down I-10 haha.
Well, I hope now that you hail from San Antonio you can come to the next forum meet. Everyone else too of course.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well, I hope now that you hail from San Antonio you can come to the next forum meet. Everyone else too of course.
Yeah!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 1:18 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

SIRKINGWILLIAM has the renderings of this project...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...big_boost.html

HAVEN FOR HOPE GETS BIG BOOST

Haven for Hope, the full-service homeless campus being built just west of downtown, is expected to receive a major boost this morning in the form of a gift for construction of its health and wellness center.

The details of the gift — who is making it and for how much — will be revealed at a news conference next to the construction site. But it is expected to exceed the $5 million gift made by Bill Greehey, chairman of NuStar Energy and one of the city's most generous philanthropists.

Greehey says the gift will be the largest to date to the nonprofit corporation formed to build and oversee the 22-acre one-stop campus, which will boast an array of services: shelter, food, education, job training, medical, dental and mental health care, legal support and more.

“God has truly blessed this project and (today's) historic announcement is further proof of that,” said the former Valero chief, who early on committed to raising $47 million in private funds for the venture.

He said the gift brings him within $10 million of that goal.

Construction on the campus is well under way, and the health and wellness center, housed in what was an old warehouse at North Frio and North Salado streets, is slated to open in January of next year. It will be named after its major donor.

The building will include medical, dental and vision services, and will be open to the surrounding community as well as for those served by Haven for Hope. It will also house Haven's intake center, the starting point for homeless people seeking help and “transformation,” the project's most important buzzword.

Across the street from the campus, the new public safety triage and detoxification center, recently renamed “the Restoration Center,” has already begun offering those services.
Opened just three months ago, the center has already saved taxpayers money by keeping those with alcohol and drug problems who get picked up for minor offenses out of jail and local emergency rooms, officials say.

“Direct savings for avoiding the use of the detention center (jail) and the magistrates court is estimated to be $330,480,” wrote Charles S. Bowker, the chief financial officer for the Center for Health Care Services, which runs the center.

That doesn't factor in operational costs, but Bowker and others predict the savings will only increase as Haven for Hope becomes operational, beginning next year.
Experts estimate that 60 percent of the homeless have untreated drug and alcohol problems. Those at Haven will spend up to six hours a day in long-term treatment at the center.

While thankful for the latest donation, Greehey also had kind words for the city and county, which are both contributing.

“This was always conceived as a public-private partnership, and both the city and the county have been incredible partners,” he said.

The city of San Antonio has committed $15 million for land, demolition costs and other purposes.

Bexar County originally agreed to give $5 million, but proposed on Tuesday, as part of its 2009 budget, to increase that amount by another $5 million to help pay the increased capital costs.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:12 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Found this new rendering of the Houston Street Aloft. I wish it were full size so we could see exactly how tall it'll be.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:14 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

[QUOTE=sakyle04;3751759]SIRKINGWILLIAM has the renderings of this project.../QUOTE]

Thanks to you.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:35 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Found this new rendering of the Houston Street Aloft. I wish it were full size so we could see exactly how tall it'll be.

There's a portion of the adjacent building's roof in the lower left side of the rendering. Add about 54-60 feet for the remaining building to get the height.

I'm guessing 16 floors and about 130'

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:13 PM

HERE YOU GO GUYS!! THE PICTURE WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!

Thanks SKW, i hope you don't mind i keep the address just in case I need to send something again,
i find all this stuff and don't know how to post it, but I finally figured this one out.

Oh and the hole at Embassy site.. is it possible it is having underground parking like the G Hyatt?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:58 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^^^ Nice!!!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 11:15 PM

Haven't we seen that aloft rendering before??

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 7:45 AM

more density for downtown SA! nice!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 2:25 AM

Taken by Sadeezy @ Flickr

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 11:00 PM

Here's a few downtown views from the 20th floor of the Vidorra and the 7th floor of the Vistana, courtesy of the E-N Real Estate blog.

Vidorra

Vistana

Original Article

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 6:09 PM

That's a pretty sweet view there. I think I'll buy a penthouse on the 20th floor...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99jeep View Post
That's a pretty sweet view there. I think I'll buy a penthouse on the 20th floor...
Write me up too.
The Vidorra views are very nice.
The publisher in that nest fest blog didn't include the views from Vistana looking east downtown though..... I bet they are nice too.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99jeep View Post
I'd have to have a view looking north or south, I think. All those parking lots north of Rivercenter are too depressing

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 5:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'd have to have a view looking north or south, I think. All those parking lots north of Rivercenter are too depressing
I have a feeling there'll be another hotel with convention space in that lot by the Marriott after a few years. The one behind the Alamo (with building height restrictions) should be turned into a park... or at least a parking garage with a park on the roof.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 7:06 PM
James

^^^ Really? I envision townhomes there, or a three story apartment building with parking in the middle.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 1:34 AM
JACKinBeantown

A big part of SA's economy has always been tourism based. That means hotels and conventions. There's not much space left for adding convention center square footage. That parking lot could be more convention hall space that could easily be connected to the mall or convention center with sky bridges and such. That was my line of thinking.

Also, just thinking about Vegas and Atlantic City... lots of hotels clustered together with sky bridges connecting them to each other and their parking garages.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 3:22 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

from thevistana.com:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio