HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jun 1, 2017, 5:44 AM

1151 Sunset and Sopa update

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Highrise going even taller

One Water Street’s 36 and 29 storey towers would be the tallest between Vancouver and Calgary.

The companies hoping to build the tallest highrise in Kelowna have just upped the ante, redesigning their two massive towers to be even taller than initially planned.

North American Development Group is still awaiting approval for its proposed One Water Street development, but recently announced a redesign that would see the development’s tallest highrise reach 36 storeys, with its smaller one coming in at 29 storeys.

Initial plans for the project called for a 24-storey north tower and a 32-storey south tower, both on top of three storey podiums. The property, which sits at Water Street and Sunset Drive, is currently zoned to allow buildings as high as 24 storeys.

Should Kelowna City Council give its approval to move the project forward, the tower at One Water Street would be the tallest ones between Metro Vancouver and Calgary.

North American Development Group says it chose to redesign the towers to be “taller and thinner … to create the most optimal views for homeowners while providing the best view corridors between the buildings for its neighbours.”

The towers have been designed by Kasian Architecture, a firm known for designing the National Music Centre in Calgary, as well as the Arts and Science Centre and RCMP headquarters in Kelowna.

“We want these buildings to be distinctive and beautiful, something that stands out among downtown Kelowna’s skyline and enhances it,” says Don Kasian, president of Kasian Architecture. “We believe this design will create an iconic element to the skyline while preserving the views that are loved by locals and visitors.”

The developers of One Water Street say they will be giving out more information on the proposed project at a public open house June 7, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m at the Laurel Packinghouse.

Kelowna City Planner Ryan Roycroft expects to see an application to rezone the property to be in front of council very soon.

Council will first need to approve that land-use application. If it does, council will tackle the issue of the buildings’ height as part of a separate, later application.
https://okanaganedge.net/2017/06/05/...g-even-taller/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 10:28 PM
HVAC guru

Kelowna's getting rather tall in that area.

Was bound to happen sooner or later

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 11:28 PM

ONE Water Street Open house

Hey all, thought I would just mention that there is an open house for the ONE water street project this wednesday June 7th from 5-7pm at the Laurel Packing house on Cawston ave downtown. Should be interesting to see more details on this proposal.

I'll be there from 5-530ish. Look for the white Oilers cap if you wanna chat!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 4:06 AM

The open house had a decent turnout (About 40 people) when I was there anyway around 5pm. A fairly wide range demographic were chatting with the developers/consultants. And then there were about 20 or so folks 70+ in age sitting opposite from the developers just waiting to unload their wrath of passionate disapproval (which is to be expected).

I spoke with one consultant who said they are taking it to city council soon. This week or next week.

I did overhear however that if approval goes well, they could start selling as early as the spring.

RENDERINGS can be seen on the following PDF:
http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...0Dr%201187.pdf

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 3:58 PM

they really need to build this tower.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 3:00 AM
be nice to the crackheads

It'd be another great addition to downtown, that's for sure.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 3:05 AM

I made a very rough rendering of all the proposed and under construction buildings in Kelowna over 10 floors. Most of them are the official heights, a few of them are estimates based on the number of floors. The buildings included are:

1151 Sunset
Sopa Square
One Water Street 1 and 2 (most recent height update)
Argus
1232 Ellis
Westcorp Hotel
Ella
Central Green (2 buildings are over 10 floors)
Capri Centre (I only included one tower which has a listed height of 26 floors. I didn't include the other buildings that don't have a listed height.)
Hiawatha
Manteo Resort 1 and 2
Aqua 1-3

Please let me know if I missed any or if there's any other discrepancies.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:05 AM

Thumbs up

Nicely done! Thanks for putting in the effort!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 5:25 PM
HVAC guru

That's a lot of construction for Kelowna. Who's buying the condos ? I doubt it's Albertans right now.... Vancouver money ?

Look forward to seeing the progress when we are through there in a few weeks... need to pick up our yearly supply of wine from Mt. Boucherie

Old Posted Jun 11, 2017, 2:17 PM

Nice work, thanks!

If half of those go up, i will be happy.

I really hope that hotel project isn't dead...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:03 AM

Thanks for the visual, Kev!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 3:42 PM

Celebrities and athletes love it here. I found out recently when the Anaheim Ducks decided to escape Edmonton and practice in Kelowna that Ryan Getzlaf has a condo by the lake.

Nice visuals, Kev_427.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 6:19 PM
HVAC guru

^ lol yeah everyone in Edmonton was all put out by that

but seriously, it was beautiful and temperate in Kelowna, while Edmonton was a frozen wasteland. No brainer.

One of the Canucks has a nice place on our lake in the Cariboo.. Haven't been able to figure out who though. No one's ever there, at least when we're there

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtee View Post
Proposed new high-rise at the corner of Ellis & Lawrence:

http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...20&%201588.pdf
They did some updating to the design of that building in their official unveiling to the public:

https://okanaganedge.net/2017/06/14/...eart-downtown/

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:52 AM

Not bad at all.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD View Post
The open house had a decent turnout (About 40 people) when I was there anyway around 5pm. A fairly wide range demographic were chatting with the developers/consultants. And then there were about 20 or so folks 70+ in age sitting opposite from the developers just waiting to unload their wrath of passionate disapproval (which is to be expected).

I spoke with one consultant who said they are taking it to city council soon. This week or next week.

I did overhear however that if approval goes well, they could start selling as early as the spring.

RENDERINGS can be seen on the following PDF:
http://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/DevA...0Dr%201187.pdf

Did you unload your "wrath of passionate approval" to counter that from the old folks?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:02 PM

Vin, ^^ haha! I tried my best to compliment the project. The overall vibe was very positive. I think Kelowna has finally crossed the threshold of highrise fear. People can get behind an attractively designed tower instead of a pile of dirt much more easily than 15 years ago.

Latest update letter from ONE water Street:
"ONE Water Street received unanimous approval from Kelowna's city council on Monday and we are now moving onto the next phase of the development application process, which includes public comment, on June 27, 2017.

Should we obtain approval to move forward at this public hearing then our pre-sale marketing program will kick-off shortly thereafter. We anticipate sales will commence this Fall 2017 following our submission to and approval by the Superintendent of Real Estate."

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 12:36 AM

It should sell well. There aren't many units to buy/rent these days. I've heard 2 bedroom apartments at the Verve going for as high as $330,000 now.

Anyway, I'm back to Kelowna in a week for a bit. Any interest in a Kelowna meet-up? Has one ever happened before?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 1:24 AM

I will be coming to Kelowna in August if anyone is there. Will have my cameras out in full force. Got a new go-pro and may buy a drone as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia