HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 9:47 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Restless, it seems you’re confusing white collar with tech. Tech isn’t the only job sector considered “white collar”. There are others.

Also, what people traditionally considered white and blue collar has evolved and as I said before, those terms have basically become antiquated relics.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Restless, it seems you’re confusing white collar with tech. Tech isn’t the only job sector considered “white collar”. There are others.

Also, what people traditionally considered white and blue collar has evolved and as I said before, those terms have basically become antiquated relics.
You're probably correct about them being useless terms, and if you'd said that, I wouldn't have objected. If you'd simply stated that SA is white collar, based on jobs numbers, again, no objection.

What mainly triggered me was the implication that "blue collar" is somehow a derogatory term.

I think we can agree that SA has made great strides, in a relatively short period of time, of getting better paying jobs here, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
You're probably correct about them being useless terms, and if you'd said that, I wouldn't have objected. If you'd simply stated that SA is white collar, based on jobs numbers, again, no objection.

What mainly triggered me was the implication that "blue collar" is somehow a derogatory term.

I think we can agree that SA has made great strides, in a relatively short period of time, of getting better paying jobs here, but there is still plenty of room for improvement.
I never said it was a derogatory term. You’re putting words in my mouth. I said the notion of being a “blue collar city” carries a stigma with it. IMO, it does.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 4:07 AM

Quote:
I never said it was a derogatory term. You’re putting words in my mouth. I said the notion of being a “blue collar city” carries a stigma with it. IMO, it does.
I actually tried to end the argument, but you persist, so how is stigma not derogatory?

Oh, sorry, that's sardonic and not worthy of a response, so I'll answer for you:

It isn't.

In case you want to argue that point, I'll leave you with the definition of stigma:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/stigma?s=t

But, yes, you are absolutely, incontrovertibly, correct, we are not a poor blue collar city, we are a poor white collar city.

Can we end this now?

Last edited by Restless One; Mar 31, 2020 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
I actually tried to end the argument, but you persist, so how is stigma not derogatory?

Oh, sorry, that's sardonic and not worthy of a response, so I'll answer for you:

It isn't.

In case you want to argue that point, I'll leave you with the definition of stigma:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/stigma?s=t

But, yes, you are absolutely, incontrovertibly, correct, we are not a poor blue collar city, we are a poor white collar city.

Can we end this now?
I did not continue any argument. I simply stated you out words in my mouth by saying I called something derogatory when I didn’t. Instead of leaving it at that you decided to display very juvenile behavior in your very unnecessary response.

Saying a word has a stigma attached to it is not the same as that word being a derogatory term. The fact that I again have to state something quite obvious and not even up for debate is somewhat mind-blowing to be.

With that, I am finished with our little back and forth, I suspect you will provide one last retort, so have at it.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 6:46 AM

Quote:
I did not continue any argument. I simply stated you out words in my mouth by saying I called something derogatory when I didn’t. Instead of leaving it at that you decided to display very juvenile behavior in your very unnecessary response.

Saying a word has a stigma attached to it is not the same as that word being a derogatory term. The fact that I again have to state something quite obvious and not even up for debate is somewhat mind-blowing to be.

With that, I am finished with our little back and forth, I suspect you will provide one last retort, so have at it.
Yes, I will. First, edit your responses so that they are coherent.

Second, I suspect you knew full well what "stigma" means, and thus you put the words in your own mouth. Own it for God's sake.

You are a steward of this forum, and thus held to a higher standard. Don't get defensive when a fellow poster calls you out on your statements. Own them or not, but don't blame me for YOUR choice of words.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 6:29 AM

What is San Antonio's economic development strategy for the next ten years? Is it to emulate Austin and attract high tech companies? Or is there some way for San Antonio to be complementary to Austin?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
What is San Antonio's economic development strategy for the next ten years? Is it to emulate Austin and attract high tech companies? Or is there some way for San Antonio to be complementary to Austin?

San antonio will follow it's own path. Why must we be complimentary to anyone else. San antonio isn't Austin's suburb.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2020, 9:28 PM

Guys, this is the San Antonio Transportation thread. Keep things on topic please.

Old Posted May 3, 2020, 12:42 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I’ve lived in SA twice and consider it a second home, so I enjoy following it.

The biggest obstacle facing any city trying to lure new trans oceanic flights will be the current direction of the economy. Flybe in the UK has ceased operations today because the tourist industry is bottoming out due to the Coronavirus. I’m betting a lot of airlines will put expansion on hold and more airlines might find themselves having to cut flights and layoff employees. .

Well I predicted this fairly accurately; but it wasn’t difficult because the signs were there. In this case I wish I were wrong. The airline industry (as we knew it) might never recover.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 12:30 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

The airline industry will recover. It's a necessary vehicle in the global economy. But, it might be decades before we are blessed with the growth we saw prior to COVID-19. Even with all that growth, there were several airlines which fell into financial trouble in part due to expanding too fast.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
San Antonio has several industries that are twice the size of Austin's Tech industry in economic output.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
San Antonio has several industries that are twice the size of Austin's Tech industry in economic output.
Since you brought it up - and I'm curious - which specific industries (of the several noted) produce an economic impact of twice that Austin's tech industry?

I know that in 2018, the Bioscience/Healthcare, Military/Defense and Advanced Manufacturing Industries had more of a raw economic impact on San Antonio than the Tech Industry did on Austin. But, it was nowhere near double. And let's be fair...SA still has an edge in the overall employment pool. It would be interesting to see these numbers on a per capita basis in order to get a more fair analysis.

Also, if I'm not mistaken...the Tech industry accounts for only 24% of the Austin economy.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 5:44 PM

I was having a look on my flight radar app last week and in perfect timing, noticed an El Al 787 taxiing bound for Tel Aviv and another was en route here to SAT. I'm just curious if anyone noticed any of these random aircraft in town? I assume they were here for maintenance purposes but anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Cheers!

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
I was having a look on my flight radar app last week and in perfect timing, noticed an El Al 787 taxiing bound for Tel Aviv and another was en route here to SAT. I'm just curious if anyone noticed any of these random aircraft in town? I assume they were here for maintenance purposes but anyone's guess is as good as mine.

Cheers!
Apparently there were 4 flights, all cargo. Interesting read. Glad someone got some photos of El Al in town.

https://airlinegeeks.com/2020/05/21/...cargo-flights/

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post
Apparently there were 4 flights, all cargo. Interesting read. Glad someone got some photos of El Al in town.

great article, thank you for sharing! I wish we had the passenger traffic to support 787 flights out of SA

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 8:55 PM

Well It's Starting....

Well It's Starting....It appears we've lost Allegiant and Alaska airlines.

Cities push back as airlines seek dozens of new service cuts.

As cities reopen and air travel gradually picks up, the government is on the cusp of giving final approval to a lengthy list of cities that could lose some of their airline service....Some cities could take multiple hits...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cities-pu...201716692.html

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI0120 View Post

Great read, thanks for posting. Hats off to our airport management team for their quick actions!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:13 PM

Dang it.

Two airlines are dropping San Antonio (temporarily) - Alaska & Allegiant.

https://onemileatatime.com/us-airlin...ens-of-cities/

These same airlines are dropping New Orleans as well.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Dang it.

Two airlines are dropping San Antonio (temporarily) - Alaska & Allegiant.

https://onemileatatime.com/us-airlin...ens-of-cities/

These same airlines are dropping New Orleans as well.
https://www.expressnews.com/business...n-15301696.php

Alaska got the okay to drop SAT, but has yet to do so. From the article, an Alaska spokeswoman said, “Again, we do not plan to suspend service right now, but we couldn’t pass up the opportunity for additional flexibility during these uncertain times,”. They've been serving SAT-SEA recently, with a stop in ABQ. They recently unveiled their July schedule which shows SAT-SEA nonstop once per day. Hopefully this stays.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio