HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 4, 2023, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Purple Crow has selected industrial property in Whitaker Park, a 220-acre redeveloped manufacturing complex near Winston-Salem’s central business district. Bob Leak, Jr., President and CEO of the Whitaker Park Development Authority says “WPDA is excited to have Purple Crow join the other companies that call Whitaker Park home. Their expansion will create new jobs and revitalize one of the iconic buildings in our park.”

The City of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County are supporting the expansion with incentives based on capital investment and job creation. As a result of the expansion, 199 new jobs are expected to be created by 2028 with an average salary of $72,000, a salary higher than the county’s average.

Winston-Salem Mayor Allen Joines says “Purple Crow’s decision to remain in Winston-Salem is a testament to our collaborative and comprehensive efforts to create high-value economic development opportunities for businesses. The redevelopment of Whitaker Park has been a long-term effort with great potential to positively impact Winston-Salem’s development and it has come to fruition.”
https://www.expansionsolutionsmagazi...orsyth-county/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:44 AM

Excited for this addition to Whitaker Park. I think it could really happen. I know some others prefer more white collar jobs in the park but I think it will have a mix and more can still come to the area. Density, activities and movement are most important at this time. Also, manufacturing and distribution are far more advanced than most people think.
Excited for what the Whitaker Park and Coliseum area can be in next 5-10 years

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 5:11 AM

I agree! This is perfect all around.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston's finest View Post
Excited for this addition to Whitaker Park. I think it could really happen. I know some others prefer more white collar jobs in the park but I think it will have a mix and more can still come to the area. Density, activities and movement are most important at this time. Also, manufacturing and distribution are far more advanced than most people think.
Excited for what the Whitaker Park and Coliseum area can be in next 5-10 years
I agree! This helps energize the Coliseum area and Wake Forest District.

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Oct 6, 2023 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2023, 2:17 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

Better late than never! Workers are still not finished with the Truliant sign, as of last night. However, we do have a good explanation of why it's taking so long.

Video Link

Truliant Tower:
Magnolia Construction had to brace the interior on the 30th floor to take the weight of the 31 foot / 9.45 metre sunburst support structure. I'm guessing Little designed the bracing? This delayed the completion. It's actually a very difficult project. Scott Muller said, "At Trademark Visual, Inc. we're used to getting the call when there's a challenge! Stay tuned as we change yet another skyline with the largest building top signage we've ever created! We've spent hundreds of hours in design and engineering to make sure the 1965 construction can support the unique structures we've designed. Some amazing photos of our east coast skyline crew handling final assembly of these massive pieces for our friends at Truliant Federal Credit Union! At over 4,000 square feet each our clients brand will be visible for miles! Stay tuned as we near completion on this historic project! Thanks to our friends at Truliant Federal Credit Union, Magnolia Construction, Little Diversified Architectural Consulting and Hi Light Services, LLC for helping us to make the impossible possible yet again!"

Credit: Dale Briggs

Credit: Aaron Childs

Credit: Scott Muller

October 4, 2023:

Kaleideum Science Museum:

This video is shared "publicly" on my facebook page, if you want to see it:

Credit: Kaleideum

Liberty Park:
Yes, this is under construction! They have already completed part of the walkways.

Credit: Christy Tally

Salem Bottling Works:
Historic reviews began on October 4, so work can now restart on this project. Interestingly, Jared said the building would have office space, restaurants, and apartments? That is new!

Work has restarted on the 1929 building, with workers reopening the window and door openings:

Credit: salembottleworks

This building opened April 11, 1929 as the first standardized design from Coca-Cola. So, it was also their first Mediterranean Revival–style bottling plant. This Winston-Salem building was the start of standardization for Coca-Cola. So, this building is of both Coca-Cola Company and national historic importance. In 1928, the previous downtown bottling plant was filling over 8 million bottles (guessing for the year?). The new 1929 building was filling 7,500 bottles per hour when it opened. Charles F. Benbow was the original General Contractor for the 1929 building.

You can see Post Modern architect Robert Venturi's "Visitor Center" for Winston-Salem's colonial neighborhoods, through the window openings:

Interestingly, a house from the 1700s was dismantled in the 1940s (if I remember correctly) and sold to a museum in Tennessee, as part of the Coca-Cola bottling company's expansion. They needed the land under the house for a new building.

Stevens Center Renovation:

The last performance at the Stevens Center before the big renovation:
Video Link

The back of the building:

Credit: focalvibes

New Tenants/Leases:
Great Wagon Road Coffee Company will open a "bricks-and-mortar" location at The Oaks at Lewisville (6782 Shallowford Road).

I remember breaking the news on Insomnia Cookies opening downtown at the old WSTB forum and now it's scheduled for completion on October 12, 2023:

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

The Royality, at 415 North Trade Street in downtown's Arts District, is a Cafe and Antique Shop (Grand Opening: October 13, 2023):

Credit: Royal Riq

Credit: Royal Riq

Rayson Vineyards & Winery:
Jolo Brands will purchase RayLen Vineyards & winery, if they gain State and Federal approval. The winery would be renamed Rayson and expand to offer both a food and wine experience to visitors/tourists. They will also have a strong focus on single-varietal wine offerings.

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: johnmarklucas.art

EGGER North American Headquarters:
Egger has invested nearly $100 million into construction this year and has reached two-thirds of their total employment goal.

Artreaux Apartments:

Credit: theartreaux

Alternative Transportation:

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
We should know the results of the City's walking audit this month, in the Reynoldstown and Slater Park neighborhoods.

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Video Link

American Wine Society Conference:
The 2024 American Wine Society Conference will be held in Winston-Salem on November 1-3, 2024.

Video Link

Your City

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 12:54 AM

Does anyone know who owns this lot on Maine between Fifth and Sixth? Joshua Dean McGee is asking

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 4:09 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMetroRaleigh View Post
Does anyone know who owns this lot on Main between Fifth and Sixth? Joshua Dean McGee is asking

https://i.ibb.co/4R8bTrS/IMG-2666.jpg
Owner: Sam Ogburn, Sr., Home Real Estate / Ogburn Investments
Office: 100 South Marshall Street, Winston-Salem, N.C., 27101
P.O. BOX 20189 Winston-Salem, N.C., 27120-0189
Phone: (336) 722-1137
https://www.hreco.net/

Can't miss their office. It says "THE OGBURN BUILDING" on the front in all-caps.

Send that to your friend. The lot is connected to the building behind it. I'm excited to see what he does with it, if he is able to lease or acquire it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Owner: Sam Ogburn, Sr., Home Real Estate / Ogburn Investments
Office: 100 South Marshall Street, Winston-Salem, N.C., 27101
P.O. BOX 20189 Winston-Salem, N.C., 27120-0189
Phone: (336) 722-1137
https://www.hreco.net/

Can't miss their office. It says "THE OGBURN BUILDING" on the front in all-caps.

Send that to your friend. The lot is connected to the building behind it. I'm excited to see what he does with it, if he is able to lease or acquire it.
Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 3:01 PM

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 3:10 PM

Old Posted Oct 13, 2023, 11:48 PM

Salembottleworks will have a balcony, and Bobby Boy Bakeshop will have a second location with outdoor seating there.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 10:29 PM
Fourth and Main

Looking at the photographs Native Camel posted, it appears as if the Truliant Sign is installed on both sides, but maybe the sunburst isn't connected to electricity or programed? In many cities, these signs stay-on 24/7 and are brighter during the day and dimmed at night, if I remember correctly? I guess if a storm passes-through and the sky turns dark, the sign remains visible if it's on 24/7?

Salem Bottleworks should be a nice adaptive-reuse project! I'm excited about it and the developer appears to be doing everything right.

Tomorrow's update should be fun. I have a few surprises.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 1:00 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. If you can, please support any local businesses sharing photographs and thank them.

So many big and exciting projects, along with great updates, in this week's post! We also say goodbye to two projects which are now completed.

Video Link

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: Carla McClellan

Colorful film applied to the windows:

Credit: Carolina Premier Window Films

Credit: cptew

Realty Building Apartments:
The historic 1922 Realty Building, at 216 West Fourth Street, will soon become apartments. The developer has a construction set and is starting permitting. I previously reported this building would become apartments at the old WSTB and here at SSP. Yes, it took this long for the project to move forward. This building will become 11 apartments. The Lee Brothers, of Bleu and Bernardin’s fame, could be involved in this project? I do need to note: The renovation is for the upper floors and has no impact on the restaurant space.

Truliant Tower:

West Facade Signage Completed:

Credit: Johnell Hunter Sr.

West Facade Signage Lit:

Support Structure Completed on East Facade:

Credit: nikkodesigns

Progress as of October 14, 2023:

Credit: A.L. Collins

WFBH Eye Institute:
I have been informed the Eye Institute won't use the entire building. The Eye Institute will lease 65% of the space in the former Inmar Building at 635 Vine Street. The remaining space will be available for lease.

200 West Second Hotel & Apartments:
If a structure is added to the roof, as seen in this Lambert rendering, this building would gain height. What is shown below would be considered spire height. This is a nice and simple modernization, with hotel rooms on the lower six floors, 13 floors of residences, and topped with a 20th floor amenity level. The 21st floor is mechanical/equipment and would remain mechanical/equipment.

Early conceptual phase rendering of residential conversion with possible hotel:

Credit: Lambert A+I

Liberty Park:

Progress on the park's concrete paths:

Pilgrim Court Mixed-use:
So, what will happen with the remaining 30 year old Pilgrim Court II office building? It will likely become self-storage units, which is one of the more interesting reuse proposals I've seen for out-dated Class B office space. The lots around the site, which never developed around 30+ years ago, will become new "ground-up construction" residential. Possibly 121 units. That was a bad location for office space, even back then.

Forsyth County Courthouse: Built!
This project is finally completed. Employees of the court system are still moving-in.

Credit: WXII-TV 12

Credit: Forsyth County

Credit: WSToday

Credit: The Go-To Winston-Salem

Credit: The Go-To Winston-Salem

Downtown Amphitheatre:
Finally, downtown Winston-Salem is preparing to study locations and the financial impact of a 5,000 seat or greater amphitheatre. It would have at least 5,000 seats and could be larger. It may also seat more people on a grass arc around the seating bowl. This is one of the projects I've wanted to see downtown for nearly two decades.

Metropolitan Mixed-use:

Credit: Flooring Services, LLC

Mill 800 Apartments:
This adaptive-reuse project is now in permitting. It will have 40 apartments on two floors with parking under the apartment floors.

Skateboard/BMX Park:
A feasibility study will be conducted for a national competition level Skateboard and BMX park in downtown Winston-Salem. It will be designed to host major national-level competitions. Also to be studied are plans for a playground and a running/walking track, as a separate project. I can't help but think one of these big projects could land at the corner of Main and Fifth streets?

Credit: John Coyne / TDC

Belews Creek Nuclear Power Plant:
Both chambers of the North Carolina General Assembly overrode the Governor's veto of energy legislation from over the summer. This will allow Duke Energy to move forward with this project, which would become the first nuclear power plant in North Carolina since 1987.

Interstate 74:

This I-40/I-74 interchange should be completed in Fall 2026:

Credit: KVLYK-ZMqwE

Credit: hxQ5Y7KEr2Q

Interstate 274:
Right-of-way acquisition and utility relocation should start by 2028 and construction on just one of the six segments will start in 2030. Interestingly, a court ruling led to the State buying most of the right-of-way already. This project is so under-funded and it will take years and years and years before this nears completion.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:

Credit: Stockburger Farmhouse

New Jobs:
Winston-Salem's job growth is above the southeastern and national average, at 3.3%. The city is currently in talks with two companies interested in moving their headquarters to Winston-Salem, as-well-as two aviation companies interested in Winston-Salem and six life science companies interested in moving here / creating jobs here. Companies currently interested in moving to / creating jobs in Winston-Salem would invest $7 billion and create 11,000 new jobs, if they all selected Winston-Salem.

Salem Bottling Works:

Constructing the balcony:

"Restaurants need lots of underground plumbing!!!!!"

Lyndon Steel Expansion:
Lyndon Steel will construct a new 17,000 square-foot building on their Winston-Salem campus for processing structural steel. At this time, no incentives are involved. I haven't heard how many jobs will be created from this expansion?

Artreaux Apartments: Built!
I haven't heard if this project is officially completed or not, but it looks completed to me. So, I will show it as completed and delete its main page entry. For those who want to know: Downtown Winston-Salem's apartment vacancy rate is 8.7%.

Credit: The Artreaux

This appears to be the co-working space:

Outdoor amenity area:

Alternative Transportation:

Downtown Streetscape:
Actual road work on First and Second streets is now completed. Work on Main and Liberty is starting, with workers relocating utilities around Brookstown and procuring traffic signal equipment. We could see repaving start in Spring 2024 on Main and Liberty streets, with a switch to two-way traffic happening shortly after the repaving is completed. That will make both streets more pedestrian and bicycle friendly. If you're asking about the streetlights/light standards along the roads and the bridges over Salem Parkway, there is a long lead time procuring the light standards. Work on this will likely start in early 2024. I'm guessing this is also delaying the dandelions?

AeroX Innovation Hub:
The Forsyth County Sherriff's Department and Winston-Salem-based Hovecon will create a first-of-its-kind (in the United States) AED (Automated External Defibrillator) delivery drone service in Winston-Salem. It will deliver an AED to the scene of a cardiac arrest in a third of the time it would take EMS to arrive at the scene. This four year test will be paid for using a $3.5 million grant from the American Heart Association. Sweden is already doing this and had significant success with it.

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
The Community Walk Audit for Reynoldstown and Slater Park neighborhoods has moved to October 28, 2023 due to the weather.

Indiana Avenue is among the streets in the next round to be studied for pedestrian improvements. 33 pedestrian projects were recently completed in Winston-Salem in the City's effort to make Winston-Salem a more walkable city.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
Work could restart on the eastern end this fall. It is in the final stage of NCDOT authorization and could have approval in the next 30 days. After gaining this approval, the City will let the project (receive bids). The western end is very complicated, due to the bridges, utility impacts, and other infrastructure issues. It's (western end) currently in the design phase and is expected to take several months to design.

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion:
This project will enter the design phase in January 2024. It's a difficult project due to "pinch points" where the project has less room to work with and the future rail transit line will narrow to single track before expanding back to double track.

Off-Subject:

Most Neighborly Cities in America:
Neighbor.com has released its list of the 25 Most Neighborly Cities in America. Winston-Salem and Raleigh both made the list and are the only cities in the Carolinas on the list.

Random Photographs:

I've seen this sticker on many downtown buildings and this is a close-up of the sticker:

Your City

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 6:17 PM

Thank you as always Matthew for the great updates! Very much appreciated.

Regarding the Salem Parkway multi-use trail, do your sources have an anticipated completion date yet?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 10:02 PM

Yes, thanks Matthew for you untiring efforts. I am sure everyone appreciates and looks forward to your weekly post - I know I do!

The former Wachovia, former Winston Tower looks invigorated with the Truliant signage. It's no longer a generic, nobody wants it so we'll put the city name on it tower. It's reestablished and makes downtown look vibrant and indicates this is a city worth investigating - thank you Truliant!

The new courthouse looks cheap, another scrape-by effort.

Nice rendition of repurposing the BB&T Headquarters Building - I hope that happens.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:43 PM

Thanks for another great update, Matthew. I look forward to the completion of the Salem Bottleworks project.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 6:44 PM

Quote:
New restaurants, drive-thrus and a hotel could be coming to Kernersville.

The proposal is at the corner of Union Cross Road and Glennview Drive, right near Interstate 40. The re-zoning request was approved by the planning board and now waiting for a final decision from the Kernersville Aldermen Board.
https://myfox8.com/news/north-caroli...-kernersville/

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 2:00 AM
Fourth and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winstonwalker View Post
Regarding the Salem Parkway multi-use trail, do your sources have an anticipated completion date yet?
Sadly, I don't have a completion date for the multi-use path. I'm guessing we may not know until work starts on the western section, which starts after completion of the east section (unless something has changed)?

What if I posted an update early?

Projects & Construction:
624 North Trade:
Mayfair Street Partners is the tenant for this project. They will upfit the retail space for a "Roar"-themed arcade. That is what... the third arcade in downtown's Arts District? Since the building now has a name, I will change the name of this project from "624 North Trade" to "Roar Aracade" on future updates.

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
The Clubhouse Salon will relocate from their current location at 505 North Cherry Street to the second floor retail spaces at Bailey South in downtown's Innovation Quarter. They have leased 980 square-feet of retail space.

Your City

Old Posted Oct 17, 2023, 2:59 AM

Excited to see the Realtg building apartments. Good use of the building. I do wish it was for sale properties since they are in short supply.
I remember the proposed condo modern addition maybe 10 years ago. I think it was called Minim or something like that.
Also glad to see the Pilgrim Court/Coliseum area improving and adding new life. Office there is really odd and a hard sale. Hopefully the neighbors don’t cause too big of a stink about the proposed development

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Following a Winston-Salem city council decision on Monday, 2.77 acres sweeping the corner of University Parkway and Laura Avenue have been rezoned from a mixture of residential, limited business and highway business designations to strictly highway business, which is primarily intended to accommodate retail service and distributive uses. Council voted 6-2 with Councilmembers John Larson and Robert C. Clark dissenting… In the wake of the rezoning, the two homes at 106 and 110 Laura Ave. along with Pelican’s SnoBalls and a building that serves as a nutrition shop will be torn down to make way for a bank and a sit-down restaurant.
https://triad-city-beat.com/a-quiet-...ezoning-fight/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations