HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 12:07 PM

Another update from the land of Tysons.

A new building beginning construction Garfield Parcel at the corner of Anderson and 123 is doing site prep and excavation for their new 15-story residential building.

http://thetysonscorner.com/garfield-...ing-earthwork/

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 1:21 PM

Thank you for the update.

Although it was posted in the Transportation section, it shold be reposted here that the Silver Line to Tysons and Whiele Ave will start service on July 26: http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...tarts-july-26/.

Speaking of Whiele Ave, the Reston Station mixed-use development is really picking up again after a long pause.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:41 PM

Since I work in Tysons, I should be updating this site more often, but here's my contribution:

Tysons Tower is getting closer to opening day and its taller neighbor in front is the 30-floor residential Vita Tower. It looks like the structure is nearly complete and the curtain wall facade is 2/3 installed. The design is fantastic and fits in well to the surroundings. The hotel will be in the building to the right and has been going up very quickly.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 8:24 PM

Reston Station (Wiehle Ave)

Progress on the construction of Comstock's Reston Station (http://restonstation.com/) development at the Wiehle Avenue station on the Silver line seemed to have stalled a bit but it looks like construciton has picked back up over the past couple of months.

http://www.comstockcompaniesphotos.c...6085&k=zz8g9dw

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 12:02 AM

Another 400 apartment units coming to booming Tysons Corner

Quote:
Charleston-based Greystar plans to start work soon on a 34-story high-rise near the Silver Line's Spring Hill Metro station to be called Elan Tysons West after acquiring the development site earlier this month from a a joint venture including The Georgelas Group LLC. The 400-unit high-rise, with about 6,500 square feet of ground-floor retail, is just one of several parcels Georgelas took through the Fairfax County entitlement process.
Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...o-booming.html

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 2:31 PM

Officials expect Silver Line parking demand to outstrip supply

It is strange that the owners of the Tysons malls won't charge commuters to use their parking lots. I certainly hope that most Silver line riders take various bus routes to reach the Silver line stations but I assume that most of the parking for the malls at Tysons is unused/underused during typical 9-5 work hours and this would be a way for these landlords to earn extra revenue. Additionally, riders park at the existing mall parking, they will probably be more likely to patronize the stores before driving home.

Officials expect Silver Line parking demand to outstrip supply

By Lori Aratani
July 20, 2014
Washington Post

"The key cards have been issued. The automatic parking arms have been installed. Parking permits have been secured. Signs have been posted.

While Metro officials are busy making final preparations for the Saturday opening of the system’s first new rail line in more than two decades, businesses and residents from Reston to Tysons Corner are preparing themselves for the possible onslaught of thousands of Silver Line commuters in search of free and easy parking.

Among the biggest potential temptations: Tysons Corner Center mall, home to more than 12,000 parking spaces, including spots in a five-level garage just a short stroll from the Tysons Corner Metro station..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...fc2_story.html

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 5:56 PM
life is good

I'm super excited to ride the Silver Line soon. Hopefully this weekend, visit a friend out there. What a big deal it will be.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
I'm super excited to ride the Silver Line soon. Hopefully this weekend, visit a friend out there. What a big deal it will be.
I was looking forward to joining the GGW group for the Silver Line trip this coming weekend but my girlfriend's parents are visiting from out of town.

Now we need the H Street streetcar to open!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 9:09 PM

What kind of TOD can occur around Dulles Metro?

What kind of TOD can occur around Dulles Metro?

By Yonah Freemark
The Transport Politic
Aug. 4, 2014

"After years of talk, the Washington Metro was expanded by more than 11 miles last month, finally connecting it to Tysons, a suburban, auto-oriented business district in the heart of Fairfax County, Virginia. The new Silver Line that will make the connection via the existing Orange and Blue Line trunk through downtown Washington is expected to serve 25,000 daily boardings at five new stations, providing service every six minutes at rush hours and 12 to 15 minutes off peak. A second phase of the more than $5 billion project will add another 11.5 miles and extend into Loudoun County, via Dulles Airport, in 2018.

This first phase is very significant from the perspective of expanded rapid transit service; it is the second-lengthiest single line opening in the history of the Washington Metro, and it will dramatically speed the commute of people using transit to travel to and through the western suburbs.

It is also, in theory, going to produce a revolution in the physical environment of Tysons, turning it into a new, walkable “downtown.” As Robert Puentes has said, the line “is the catalyst for the transformation of Tysons from an exclusively auto-oriented ‘edge city’ to [a] modern and vibrant live/work community.” That’s certainly the vision to which the local business partnership and Fairfax County itself have committed. The goal is to quintuple the area’s population to 100,000..."

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-dulles-metro/

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 4:59 PM

The Silver Line seems to be a hit. I can hardly wait to see what development will occur around the new stations. There is about to be a development boom around the SL.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 7:15 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierAtlanta View Post
The Silver Line seems to be a hit. I can hardly wait to see what development will occur around the new stations. There is about to be a development boom around the SL.
That boom is already taking place around the Silver Line stations within Tysons Corner.

-sb

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
That boom is already taking place around the Silver Line stations within Tysons Corner.

No, I am meaning even moreso than what is now occurring.

I know a few people who work for the county. There seems to be a "ramping" up of potential capital facilities projects in the district. It seems as if the county is trying to stay ahead of a "potential" growth explosion...on top of what has already occurred to date in Tysons. I rode the Silver Line a couple of weeks ago and saw the vast potential for increased "urbanization" of the area. Especially around the stations themselves.

It's all so exciting.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 8:20 PM

I rode out the SL for the first time a few days ago. I hopped off at the Tysons Corner Station to walk around a bit and you can just look around and see that there's tons of potential. Several cranes are visible, several lots are anticipating cranes, and many other areas are obviously headed towards redevelopment.

I started thinking about the possibility that maybe shoppers will start using the SL enough that some of those mall parking garages would start to be empty and could be redeveloped for other purposes.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 5:12 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierAtlanta View Post
No, I am meaning even moreso than what is now occurring.

I know a few people who work for the county. There seems to be a "ramping" up of potential capital facilities projects in the district. It seems as if the county is trying to stay ahead of a "potential" growth explosion...on top of what has already occurred to date in Tysons. I rode the Silver Line a couple of weeks ago and saw the vast potential for increased "urbanization" of the area. Especially around the stations themselves.

It's all so exciting.
I know what is to come in the future. Been keeping track of it before ground was even moved for the Silver Line. What is already happening is comparatively quite impressive. Currently there are 4 structures over 15-floors under construction. Within the last 12-months, two structures over 20-floors have been completed.

Indeed even better developments to arrive for Tysons.

-sb

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I know what is to come in the future. Been keeping track of it before ground was even moved for the Silver Line. What is already happening is comparatively quite impressive. Currently there are 4 structures over 15-floors under construction. Within the last 12-months, two structures over 20-floors have been completed.

Indeed even better developments to arrive for Tysons.
I am interested in the potential transit-oriented development around the Wiehle Ave station. Of course, there is the large Reston Station (http://www.comstockpartnerslc.com/Reston.php ) development currently under construction but this area is now mostly 1-2 story office buildings, large surface parking lots, and as the Restonian blog calls it, the 'McPizzahut.'

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:50 PM

More good news in Tysons, yet another Greystar highrise (this time 34 stories) is going up. This is part of the Springhill project near springhill metro.

http://thetysonscorner.com/greystar-...ons-high-rise/

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:53 PM
life is good

Wow, big deal for the region and Tysons. Any renders showing more of the tower rather than the podium?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:59 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Wow, big deal for the region and Tysons. Any renders showing more of the tower rather than the podium?
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...o-booming.html

-sb

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Invest in transit and watch the surrouding area boom!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:53 PM

Tysons walking tour this Saturday!

The Coalition for Smarter Growth is offering one of its walking tours for Tysons, Reston, and the Silver Line for this Saturday, Sept. 6, from 10 - 12 PM. Here is the link to register: http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/2041/p...vent_KEY=78989 .

I've participated in several of these walking tours and they are really excellent and informative events.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations