HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
I'm not sure there will be much savings once you get past 64th as Centre Street becomes much wider with median space and also flanked by wide grass and tree-lined shoulders (land I assume already owned by the City). The only trouble spot is the stretch between Beddington Drive and Beddington Trail.

The only savings might be to cut Centre Street to 2 lanes all the way to Beddington Trail, minimizing extra road rework but that will likely pit Ward 4 vs Ward 3 as Ward 4 would see traffic disruption in order to benefit Ward 3 by getting the train farther north.
Correct, there's complicated tunnels, ramps, and property acquisition in the far north that would be more expensive. Centre Street was always envisioned with single car lanes so getting to Beddington inexpensively would quell some of the criticism of the line.

The route with single lanes appears straightforward and cost effective if they cross 16 Ave at grade. I speculate they could eventually have a split station at 16 Ave (like Shawnessey & Martindale) so passengers get on/off while the signals transition. A BRT lane can allow them to test an at-grade crossing before committing.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 1:13 AM

I thought the vote was scheduled for today. It was on the agenda. Seems to be dragging on and on.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:06 AM

I think they probably delayed it due to the new recommendations put out by Administration (which seems to have swayed Gondek), to give everyone a day to study them.

https://twitter.com/JyotiGondek/stat...33614786637824

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:35 AM

Sounds like they are kicking the can down the road a bit on the "segment 2b" (north of the river) portion. Perhaps could be looked at optimistically in that segment 2a could go ahead while 2b gets mired in opposition.

Quite amazing how little we have progressed in 3-5 years.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:31 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucx View Post
Counsillor Gondek is a firm yes so it looks like Stage 1 to 16 Ave will be approved with solid support.

From her June 1 Tweet:

Council is committing to single vehicle lanes on the busiest portion of Centre Street in Crescent Heights. Public engagement has assumed single lanes north of 16 Ave so I think there will be political and public acceptance, albiet not enthusiasm. Without property acquisition, expansion north could be considerably less than $100 million/km.
Oh joy - sounds wonderful

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:33 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucx View Post
Correct, there's complicated tunnels, ramps, and property acquisition in the far north that would be more expensive. Centre Street was always envisioned with single car lanes so getting to Beddington inexpensively would quell some of the criticism of the line.

The route with single lanes appears straightforward and cost effective if they cross 16 Ave at grade. I speculate they could eventually have a split station at 16 Ave (like Shawnessey & Martindale) so passengers get on/off while the signals transition. A BRT lane can allow them to test an at-grade crossing before committing.
As does this.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Indeed, Almost a glacial pace like that of the UP Line in Toronto!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I thought the vote was scheduled for today. It was on the agenda. Seems to be dragging on and on.
Heard on the news today that the vote is tomorrow.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:35 PM

Bait and Switch?

Sounds like the plan for this afternoon's vote (based on what I thought I heard a couple of Councillors say on TV this morning) is to:

- Split the project into 3 segments:
  • Shepard to the Elbow River
  • Elbow River to Eau Claire
  • Eau Claire to 16th Avenue NW
- Seek approval to issue RFP for Shepard to Elbow River by July 29, 2020 (the easy and least (cost) risk section)
- Do more work on the Elbow to Eau Claire section to address a myriad of uncertainties

If my understanding of proceedings is correct it sounds as if the plan is to get started on construction on one section asap (i.e. commit the City to this project) before the design has been finalized and all the costs, risks and uncertainties have been addresses on the other sections. Sneaky!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
Sounds like the plan for this afternoon's vote (based on what I thought I heard a couple of Councillors say on TV this morning) is to:

- Split the project into 3 segments:
  • Shepard to the Elbow River
  • Elbow River to Eau Claire
  • Eau Claire to 16th Avenue NW
- Seek approval to issue RFP for Shepard to Elbow River by July 29, 2020 (the easy and least (cost) risk section)
- Do more work on the Elbow to Eau Claire section to address a myriad of uncertainties

If my understanding of proceedings is correct it sounds as if the plan is to get started on construction on one section asap (i.e. commit the City to this project) before the design has been finalized and all the costs, risks and uncertainties have been addresses on the other sections. Sneaky!
In addition to all that, according to the recommendations, the first downtown section has to be complete enough that they know the costs before moving ahead with the North section.

To me, it's all more ways to cancel the North section LRT, just sugar coated in terms and conditions that make it less clear to the average person.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:13 PM
Inflatable Hippo

I don't see any downside to getting on with the SELRT segment, it isn't going to change even if the line is cut in two.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I don't see any downside to getting on with the SELRT segment, it isn't going to change even if the line is cut in two.
. . . unless the other two sections end up being a lot more expensive (or otherwise unacceptable) than currently envisioned!

ps I'm not a housewife - but what if I was?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 5:04 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
. . . unless the other two sections end up being a lot more expensive (or otherwise unacceptable) than currently envisioned!

ps I'm not a housewife - but what if I was?
If that turned out to be the case that would be an existential danger to the Green Line concept which would make having laid track for the SELRT instrumental in retaining funding.

And if you were a housewife and you were screaming paranoid nonsense at me I would just politely repeat "thank you for your feedback".

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 5:18 PM

Yeah I am fine with this as a risk plan. Would it be what I would choose if I could wind back the clock to 2017 and develop a different strategy, no (a single contract with a cap of 4.2-4.5 billion but with risk sharing on the tunnel based on geotechnical factors with joint technical oversight would be the alternative). But given the decisions made by council which have put us on the path to dividing up the project, it is fine.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 6:40 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
Biggest downside I see is the Province views this as a major change to the project and pulls their portion of the funding entirely. Which they have stated is a possibility. Then the project pretty much dies entirely.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Biggest downside I see is the Province views this as a major change to the project and pulls their portion of the funding entirely. Which they have stated is a possibility. Then the project pretty much dies entirely.
If the province wants to do that I don't see anything qualitatively different in changing the line today vs the changes that have already been made. The project now is different than when it was approved by the province, it's fairly arbitrary whether the changes made already would not be major vs future changes.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 7:58 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I think the province would be nothing but relieved if the city prioritized the lower cost and lower risk part of the project over a tunnel that has no inherent reason to exist.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Sounds like they are kicking the can down the road a bit on the "segment 2b" (north of the river) portion. Perhaps could be looked at optimistically in that segment 2a could go ahead while 2b gets mired in opposition.
That seems to be the story of the Green Line so far; be confident beforehand then run into problems and split things up and hope for the best for the problematic section in the future. I wonder if in a year's time, we'll be debating further splitting Segments 2A and 2B as new problems are found.

Quote:
Agreed.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 12:41 AM

So is the vote today or not?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
So is the vote today or not?
Most likely, Council is discussing it now. They just voted down Farkas's request for a plebiscite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure