HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 3:12 AM

I just saw on the news that the city is going foward with Hemsifair redevelopment. It wants to make the park a magnet for shopping, living etc. Thats how KENS 5 worded it. Hopefully we will see some new talls there.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 3:25 PM

Future Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I just saw on the news that the city is going foward with Hemsifair redevelopment. It wants to make the park a magnet for shopping, living etc. Thats how KENS 5 worded it. Hopefully we will see some new talls there.
Whether or not or how the City decides to proceed with HemisFair is likely to be up to the new mayor and city council unless the council acts on May 21st to authorize some first steps.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 3:09 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

So this is what came out of the third Hemisfair Reinitialization workshop.

Here is an aerial from google earth of the general area at about the same angle.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Feb 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 3:36 AM

Also to note, Andres Andujar has been named the CEO of the HemisFair Park Area Redevelopment Corporation Board.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/clockin...names-new-ceo/

Good job there!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 6:30 PM
James

are the green "blocks" green space?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 7:40 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

So they want to move the Institute of Texas Cultures?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Yes they are.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 1:46 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
So they want to move the Institute of Texas Cultures?
It seems to still be there... that big red block surrounded by all the blue. What I've noticed is missing is the old wing of the convention center that was built with the original Hemisfair Park in 1968. Looks like they want to make it park space (a good thing) and extend the convention center toward the highway.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
It seems to still be there... that big red block surrounded by all the blue. What I've noticed is missing is the old wing of the convention center that was built with the original Hemisfair Park in 1968. Looks like they want to make it park space (a good thing) and extend the convention center toward the highway.
Correct. They want to tear down that section and put park space and another convention center hotel.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Correct. They want to tear down that section and put park space and another convention center hotel.
Any plans to incorporate traffic calming on Commerce St? Seems like that would help to connect this proposed green space with the River east of S Alamo. I can't imagine reconfiguring the convention center would result in an overall loss of floor space, but it also seems a little inconsistent with the goal of expanding the space, and this would leave it with nowhere to go but over the freeway.

The vision for Durango looks great. If I'm reading it right they want to line it with residential, effectively extending the Victoria Commons area? Lastly, whether by design or just coincidentally, the ToA has been made much more central to the rest of the park, rather than sitting on the periphery with nothing much going on around it. Mixed-use areas need strong anchors, and the fact that they used an existing and universally recognized anchor speaks to the amount of thought that went into the plan.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 1:10 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Maybe they'll build the hotel they should have built in the first place (probably not).

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I dont think its green space because its all convention center where there is green blocks.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:30 AM

I want it to be all urban with the energy of time square. There doesn't need to be green space, maybe a li'l is okay.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:49 AM
JACKinBeantown

I understand your sentiment, Paul, but the old wing of the convention center isn't at all like Time Square. TS is full of shops and lights and tall buildings and is constantly full of people. The south side of the convention center is (if I remember correctly) a long series of windows and maybe a covered walkway. It has no store fronts, no entrances to office buildings or hotels and is one of the areas with the lowest amount of pedestrian traffic flow. I think building a new modern wing of the convention center and creating lots of green space (a la Central park or the mall in DC) would be really nice for downtown San Antonio, and it would actually create more of a people-friendly area than currently exists. Imagine throwing a frisbee with the Tower of the Americas to look up at and the Riverwalk a few steps away. San Antonio needs more green space... this would be the perfect place for it.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 7:05 AM

Quote:
I dont think its green space because its all convention center where there is green blocks.
Yes it's green space. Plans are to raze that area of the CC and build an expansion towards 37.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 7:06 AM

Quote:
I want it to be all urban with the energy of time square. There doesn't need to be green space, maybe a li'l is okay.
I'll take green space downtown over a manufactured mini times square.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 3:48 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
I'll take green space downtown over a manufactured mini times square.
Agreed. Hemisfair is the last place downtown we can get any large green space at all, whereas there are tons of parking lots to develop elsewhere.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Was playing around on Google Earth and thought I'd draw up my mock plan for HemisFair.

Green boundary: green space, park interior, secluded from Durango
Yellow boundary: apartments and townhomes, height limited to 100'
Red boundary: one 350' condo tower

I like the idea of a high rise at that corner. I also dreamed that corner would be a good place for our new performing arts center. Instead of remodeling the Municipal Auditorium.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
Maybe they'll build the hotel they should have built in the first place (probably not).
I know right! Remember the old Sheratin Hotel design back in the 90's that would have been nice.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2011, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Any plans to incorporate traffic calming on Commerce St? Seems like that would help to connect this proposed green space with the River east of S Alamo. I can't imagine reconfiguring the convention center would result in an overall loss of floor space, but it also seems a little inconsistent with the goal of expanding the space, and this would leave it with nowhere to go but over the freeway.

The vision for Durango looks great. If I'm reading it right they want to line it with residential, effectively extending the Victoria Commons area? Lastly, whether by design or just coincidentally, the ToA has been made much more central to the rest of the park, rather than sitting on the periphery with nothing much going on around it. Mixed-use areas need strong anchors, and the fact that they used an existing and universally recognized anchor speaks to the amount of thought that went into the plan.
They should build a tram, just like the old swiss sky ride that ran through hemisphere back in 1968.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio