HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 9:44 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

242-UNIT, MIXED-USE DEVELOPMENT PLANNED FOR THE WESTEND

Toudouze Market in the Maureaux Building circa 1965-1969

Quote:
Since the beginning of 2013, the city has doled out about $20.6 million in CCHIP incentives for 17 projects expected to bring 1,931 units to market.

Another five downtown-area projects are pending, which would total an additional 755 residential units. Those deals are expected to be inked in the coming weeks. The investment for those projects would total $121.5 million.

One of the projects is the redevelopment of the Maureaux Building at 700 W. Houston St. Plans are for a $28 million mixed-use development that will incorporate 242 apartment units. It's expected to get an incentive package worth more than $4.2 million.
FYI: I used the NAME Westend because I'm hearing that the city and VIA are looking to brand that area the Westend. Look for the westside multimodal station to be called the Westend Station.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 9:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
i remember Dave and Busters being mentioned about going into the Rivercenter but haven't heard any updates. Really hope its still in the mix.
D&B confirmed last year they will be opening a location in the Joske's building. It is still in the mix. I'm also hearing an Apple Store (SA's third) and Sony Store may be lined up as tenants.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
A San Antonio developer plans to turn a former Catholic seminary on the South Side into a mixed-use development, including about 250 apartments.

The proposed project at the defunct St. John's Seminary at 222 E. Mitchell St. will be built in phases, bringing market-rate multifamily housing, retail and arts facilities to that area.

The development group, 210 Developers, will take its plans to the Historic and Design Review Commission on Wednesday. It's seeking the green light for selective demolition, adaptive reuse of historic buildings and apartment construction at the site.

Preliminary plans show several building being converted into apartments. Additionally, a chapel on the 14-acre site will be turned into a community arts center, gallery space and café, and an auditorium will be renovated for use as performance space, city documents show.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 2:25 PM

Tobin Center is coming along nicely!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 6:43 PM

The first really credible news of a new skyscraper in downtown SA has just been made public.

Frost will get a new "iconic" tower downtown.

Quote:
Complex deal would result in new downtown skyscraper
BY JOSH BAUGH

Mayor Julián Castro and officials from Frost Bank and the Weston Urban development firm will announce Thursday afternoon that for the first time in a quarter century, San Antonio's skyline could have a new skyscraper.

At an afternoon press conference, the officials will outline the structure of a proposed public-private partnership that would result in several property exchanges, including the city taking control of the Frost Bank tower at 100 W. Houston St., and the construction of a new “iconic” office tower for the bank. Weston Urban would also develop more than 300 residential units in downtown.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...wn-5582065.php

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 6:46 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

FINALLY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
The first really credible news of a new skyscraper in downtown SA has just been made public.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 6:55 PM

I wonder if CPS is still considering a building as well.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 7:38 PM

CPS was quick to answer my question via Twitter.

"Hi Sean. Still in planning stages of new downtown HQ. Could be new build or existing. Too early in process to say. Thanks!" - @CPSEnergy

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post

Yes!!! Time to breathe new life into the downtown skyline.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 7:58 PM
Paradise

Can't wait.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:20 PM

WOAI is reporting that it'll be in the "40 story range". This would put it at the bare minimum of about 600' range....that's some fantastic height!

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-lo...ntown-12507059

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:28 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

San Antonio │ Frost Bank HQ │ 40-50 Floors │ Proposed

Fantastic news!

The properties that the City will be giving up are Municipal Plaza, the Continental Hotel Building (where Metro Health is now on W Commerce), the San Fernando Gym on W Travis and the lots at 403 N Flores and 200 N Main. I assume the 300+ residential units will be spread among those five properties, or possibly even on the block where the new Frost Tower is going.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
WOAI is reporting that it'll be in the "40 story range". This would put it at the bare minimum of about 600' range....that's some fantastic height!

http://www.woai.com/articles/woai-lo...ntown-12507059
I heard from someone earlier that it's planned to be around ~400,000 SF, but who knows if that's true. As a point of comparison, the Weston Centre is just under 500,000.

Glad to read the Council chamber will stay on the ground floor of Municipal Plaza, that's such a great space for that kind of thing

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:36 PM

Well if it's gonna have any decent height it's in the right area of downtown at least. Hope it'll be taller than Weston centre. Can't wait for renders.500-600 is probably realistic range.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:49 PM

I honestly will just be glad to see my hometown finally making some headway in downtown in terms of (hopefully) more modern buildings for working and living. I SO hope that the Historic Design Review Committee or whatever they're called don't rip this thing to shreds and have SA get an end product a la Grand Hyatt.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 8:57 PM
Paradise

I think Graham Weston is going to make sure this is a good design. He seems to be aware. If CPS builds a new headquarters, too, downtown will be on a huge roll.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I honestly will just be glad to see my hometown finally making some headway in downtown in terms of (hopefully) more modern buildings for working and living. I SO hope that the Historic Design Review Committee or whatever they're called don't rip this thing to shreds and have SA get an end product a la Grand Hyatt.
Let's keep this discussion aimed at the development itself and not go into the cynical aisle.

It should be noted though, that the GH's final design wasn't the result of HDRC.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
I think Graham Weston is going to make sure this is a good design. He seems to be aware. If CPS builds a new headquarters, too, downtown will be on a huge roll.
CPS will build a new tower downtown and this news is great on so many levels, including CPS now wanting to top Frost,

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 10:49 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Yeah, totally my idea. The mayor saw my renderings four years ago and said "yeah lets do that, at that same location". Your welcome, guys.

All obnoxiousness aside, wouldn't it be more costly for the city to operate the "old" Frost Building? I suppose that there would be left over office office spaces for it lease, and leftover parking spaces to make available. Oh heck, I'll save cautious optimism for later. This is good news! I'll be happy now. Group hug!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2014, 11:41 PM

This is just the tip of the iceberg with regards to Weston Urban. This is the first (second, if you count Geekdom moving into the Rand building) step in their quest to build an urban village. That entire area of west downtown will be changed. The Frost HQ will have 300 residential units but Weston will also build a residential building or mixed-use bulding at 403 N. Flores and a residential highrise on the parking lot across from the Rand building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio