HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:17 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Katz is just getting bad advice from WT about the costs of rail transit.

The truth, as we keep repeating is that construction costs are about equal, while daily operating costs are about 1/2 that of bus.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:28 PM
Armchair urbanist

I'm curious, let's say this is built and now we have a dedicated busway from The Forks to the U of M. What's the next logical step in expansion (from The Forks)? Towards the airport? Down Main? Henderson? Or would another, separate, corridor be developed?

I realize I'm putting the cart before the horse, but it doesn't hurt to think, does it?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:57 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
I'm curious, let's say this is built and now we have a dedicated busway from The Forks to the U of M. What's the next logical step in expansion (from The Forks)? Towards the airport? Down Main? Henderson? Or would another, separate, corridor be developed?

I realize I'm putting the cart before the horse, but it doesn't hurt to think, does it?

I would have to think some sort of Portage line. Something either to Polo Park as a hub and then to the airport and the strip of apartments lining Portage to Assiniboine Park (kind of an already made TOD).

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:07 PM
surely you agree with me

^portage for sure....it really makes little sense to end at the forks...the most important destination would be to the graham avenue transit corridor....traffic to the forks is 1% of commuter traffic to downtown every day.

i hear rumours that this could be a system that is being considered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombard..._Light_Transit

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:20 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Though both of the systems in these cities are referred to as ‘tramways on tyres’, the GLT is in fact a model of guided dual-mode trolleybus, capable of following a central guidance rail and then driving independently like a conventional bus. GLT is the only model of bus produced by Bombardier’s transport division, which is otherwise focused on rail transport.

I'd be happy with that, they can build the busway with a guidance rail line, but be more of a hybrid bus/rail system. That's probably the best solution for now, and gives us the option of upgrading to rail eventually in the future.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:30 PM
Celebrating 50 Years

Just in time for next months bus passes to be purchased. Way to go Winnipeg Transit!

City and transit union reach settlement
Bus service to resume to normal soon

By SUN MEDIA

WINNIPEG, MB – The City of Winnipeg and the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU), Local 1505, representing Winnipeg Transit Drivers and Maintenance Workers, have reached a settlement with respect to concluding a collective agreement.

Matters in the collective agreement were resolved by mutual consent, with the exception of the proposal for Sunday shifting, which the parties have agreed to refer to arbitration.

Transit workers will receive a general salary increase of 2% in 2008, 2.2% in 2009, and 3% in 2010.

City of Winnipeg Chief Administrative Officer Glen Laubenstein said, “This settlement is fair to employees, and enables us to meet our obligations to the public. I would like to thank all those involved in the negotiations for their hard work to help achieve a satisfactory resolution.”

Laubenstein added, “Throughout the negotiations, a number of non-contractual items arose in the discussions. The City is committed to continue these discussions, working with the union and employees to improve our workplaces, and thereby improve service to the public.”

The city expects some minor scheduling issues with respect to today’s Transit service but hope that regular schedules will resume shortly.

Article doesn't mention anything about split shifts/bitch shifts though. Hopefully they phase those out so that they can stop paying out overtime and focus on employee retention. Seriously.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:34 PM
What could go wrong?

Sounds really interesting and great if they can make it work but this statement kind of says it all for Winnipeg:

"Where snowfall is an issue, this system may not be practical."

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:59 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Article doesn't mention anything about split shifts/bitch shifts though. Hopefully they phase those out so that they can stop paying out overtime and focus on employee retention. Seriously.
Only mention is that those details are to be referred to arbitration.

Good news day in general for transit.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:24 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Though both of the systems in these cities are referred to as ‘tramways on tyres’, the GLT is in fact a model of guided dual-mode trolleybus, capable of following a central guidance rail and then driving independently like a conventional bus. GLT is the only model of bus produced by Bombardier’s transport division, which is otherwise focused on rail transport.

I'd be happy with that, they can build the busway with a guidance rail line, but be more of a hybrid bus/rail system. That's probably the best solution for now, and gives us the option of upgrading to rail eventually in the future.
I think I've mentioned before that there was a group of students (engineering or transportation, not sure) that came forth with this kind of transport mode in a proposal for the mayor, and he would not take them seriously. I would be interested in this kind of transport mode; maybe Winnipeg could go forth in Canada as a leader for the bus/rail hybrid type.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it is more than BRT.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I think I've mentioned before that there was a group of students (engineering or transportation, not sure) that came forth with this kind of transport mode in a proposal for the mayor, and he would not take them seriously. I would be interested in this kind of transport mode; maybe Winnipeg could go forth in Canada as a leader for the bus/rail hybrid type.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it is more than BRT.
GLT, BLT ... doesn't work in our Wintery climate:

http://www.lrta.info/articles/art0105.html

That's why the rubber-tired Montreal Metro is TOTALLY underground. So that it won't have to deal with snow and ice which would stop the subway cars from operating thru the mush, slush, ice, and snow.

SOURCE: Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons by Nora Vass

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

true jim but one could put heated concreat... and have speacialy design vehicalys that blow the snow away....

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:41 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post

I think the plan has always been to extend the line from the Forks to roughly Regent and Lagimodiere. Every phasing plan I've ever seen seems to put that as the second leg anyway. I don't know why exactly except that that line is convenient I suppose. I would think that a connection to Polo Park or even RRCC would make more sense but I guess those legs are also that much more costly than the eastern line.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:44 PM

And how will this be powered?

Diesel ?

Or electric catenary ?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the regent line is needED!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 9:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj_wpg View Post
And how will this be powered?

Diesel ?

Or electric catenary ?
better be eletric we got loads of the stuff here

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 10:08 PM

A BLT (with bacon ) car cannot be extended beyond two artic.buses. So from the very start they are not extensible (like a Firefox plug-in) like a regular (off the shelf) rail car.

And look who developed the guided bus technology in the first place? Daimler Benz. An automobile company.

Nuff said.

Winnipeg would be the laughing stock of the nation if we implemented that technology.

Let's just go with underground rail, and Winnipeg will become a world-class city.

Last edited by LilZebra; Aug 1, 2008 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 10:11 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea Chrysler witch is an amarican comapny

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^portage for sure....it really makes little sense to end at the forks...the most important destination would be to the graham avenue transit corridor....traffic to the forks is 1% of commuter traffic to downtown every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombard..._Light_Transit
from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Disadvantages

The GLT systems in place have experienced some mechanical problems which, though they have largely been resolved, have discouraged some other cities from adopting the technology. [1] The vehicles have shown a tendency to move erratically when running free, and do not respond well should the driver mistakenly attempt to steer while following the guidance rail (for example, to avoid a jaywalking pedestrian or an animal running into the street).

In addition, due to the tyres running over the same spot in the road, in both Nancy and Caen there has been significant rutting of the roadway, resulting in extensive repairs at significant cost to the operator. This could be considered to add to the already high running costs. Ride quality is also said to be poor, not much of an improvement on a bus, due to the 4 wheeled design, whereas trams have bogies with shock absorbers.

Problems with the guidewheel breaking have also emerged, leading the trolleybus to swerve off its roadway. This is due to the high centrifugal forces exerted on the wheel when it goes round corners. As a result of the breakages, a speed limit of 10k/h is now enforced on corners.

One of the main aims of the system, to achieve a lower cost per km than trams, has failed. Other French tramways achieve a cost per mile at least 10% lower than that for the Guided Bus. Similarly, the cost per person of the vehicles is also noticeably higher with the guided bus that a tram.

Where snowfall is an issue, this system may not be practical.

Critics of the system also point out that unlike a conventional tramway, GLT is a proprietary system, meaning that once having installed it, a city would face difficulties in purchasing vehicles from any manufacturer other than Bombardier. [2] A standard tramway, on the other hand, can easily accommodate vehicles from multiple suppliers; Nancy’s neighbour Strasbourg, for example, recently chose the Citadis tram from Alstom to supplement its existing Bombardier Eurotram fleet.

Because of the significant problems encountered by the cities which have opted for the Bombadier Guided Bus, one of which has demanded compensation for the costs it has had to pay out for the GLT, Bombadier will not sell any more GLT systems, at least until all the issues have been resolved.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:50 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yea Chrysler witch is an amarican comapny
Daimler-Benz developed the technology well before it bought Chrysler.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 12:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the rutting issue aww we already have that on normal city streets.......................

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan