HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 11:20 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, I've done both in the past (Bowring quite extensively, Bannerman just in passing) but it's definitely time for an update!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Yeah, I've done both in the past (Bowring quite extensively, Bannerman just in passing) but it's definitely time for an update!
I've been missing out!

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 11:23 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Not really. Night shots mostly.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:55 AM

Hey everyone... I made it here. I now know where almost all of your pictures were taken! I've had a great time exploring a little bit, mostly downtown in the evening, but I need to see some more! All of your pictures really make me feel like I've seen soooo much!

Keep the pics and the videos coming!

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 12:01 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAO79 View Post
Hey everyone... I made it here. I now know where almost all of your pictures were taken! I've had a great time exploring a little bit, mostly downtown in the evening, but I need to see some more! All of your pictures really make me feel like I've seen soooo much!

Welcome!

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 12:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kao79 View Post
hey everyone... I made it here. I now know where almost all of your pictures were taken! I've had a great time exploring a little bit, mostly downtown in the evening, but i need to see some more! All of your pictures really make me feel like i've seen soooo much!

welcome!

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:51 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

May 19, 2013

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 2:57 PM

Nice pictures! Just realized the watermark says "newfoundland-photos.oom" Might want to change that!

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 3:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Nice pictures! Just realized the watermark says "newfoundland-photos.oom" Might want to change that!
Oh my God... Thank you!

EDIT: Phew... it's actually COM, it's just a bad font choice. Still have to change it, but wasn't a typo. lol

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 4:43 PM

OMG you took a pic of these guys? bahahhaaha and he was looking right at you! too funny

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A quick and dirty cell phone expose of the stroll jeddy1989 and I took this evening.

Our hood. Signal Hill and Cabot Tower are the omnipresent landmarks of St. John's. You can see them from random places throughout the city, even tens of kilometres away in Mount Pearl.

A lot of the genuinely older rowhouses (you'd be surprised how many have been replaced over the years - thank God for our strict heritage requirements for new construction downtown) have these little hobbit holes between them.

The beautiful side of The Rooms.

Strolling along Harvey Road. This is one of the BEST locations in the city for a highrise. There is a very dramatic cliff directly beside Harvey Road. A building could easily be 6-9 stories tall before it even reaches street level on Harvey Road. It'd be an awesome place for condos. And look at the view!

A little slummy, yes, but there's something romantic about the warped old rowhouses of St. John's.

And their street-facing sides are always awesome.

And strolling across the ruins of Fort Townshend, the second-largest citadel in North America, last expanded during the American Revolution. It's all but completely lost now - but The Rooms has BIG, BIG plans for the site. They're even going to put LED trails across several streets to show where the walls used to be.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 11:45 PM

Your "dirty cell phone" pics are much better than I could do with a professional camera

Loved the tour. I can't wait to see the landscaping The Rooms does in the Fort Townshend area. Should be good!

I agree with the highrise condos on that hill. That would be a perfect location with a great view. Could easily be 16 stories and only have the effect of a 6 story building. Some highrises on the top of hill would also add some interest and variety to our flat-roofed skyline! One can dream!

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 12:10 AM

I'm glad the weather is nice in St. John's! There's an Atlantic Canada-wide conference for chemistry happening there the next few days. You have to vote on where you want to go for the next year and it was a HARD sell to get people to want to go to St. John's. Weather and cost were the main reasons, glad to see that weather hasn't been a problem yet

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Your "dirty cell phone" pics are much better than I could do with a professional camera

Loved the tour. I can't wait to see the landscaping The Rooms does in the Fort Townshend area. Should be good!

I agree with the highrise condos on that hill. That would be a perfect location with a great view. Could easily be 16 stories and only have the effect of a 6 story building. Some highrises on the top of hill would also add some interest and variety to our flat-roofed skyline! One can dream!
I feel the same way.

I also love the warped rowhouses, they may look slummy but they're definitely unique and add a ton of character. I remember the first fall I was in St. John's, myself and a friend went to a hockey game at Mile One and afterward we tried to walk home but we ended up lost. To this day I still don't know where we were exactly, but it was somewhere toward the bottom of Signal Hill (I think). I remember stopping and the two of us staring at this 3 storey white and brown house that twisted and bowed out on the second level. The second storey must have been at least 10 sq.ft. bigger than the first despite not having any sort of overhang, and the front door seemed to be slanted inward. No idea how it managed to actually stand up, but it was really cool. It was otherworldly, at least to someone from a neighbourhood of split-entries and army barracks.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 2:54 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

May 22, 2013

A couple of night shots...

City Hall

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 12:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

May 23, 2013

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

Strolling along Harvey Road. This is one of the BEST locations in the city for a highrise. There is a very dramatic cliff directly beside Harvey Road. A building could easily be 6-9 stories tall before it even reaches street level on Harvey Road. It'd be an awesome place for condos. And look at the view!

First - I agree. haha
Whenever I am scanning the city on google maps I always get stuck on this area. It's SUCH a cool space.

There is a lot of potential in the heart of the ecclesiastic district. I think they could craft a pretty nice network of parks and green space between the spaces here, at the Anglican cathedral, the basillica and The Rooms.

I think a tower or two at that location would be nice. And a court-square like space in front of the little church (do we know if it's still used or if it's abandoned). If abandoned, it should become a theatre. This area is kind of hole-like in terms of moving around the City so filling it in would be great. I laugh when people say there is no more space in our City for development. There are big holes everywhere.

Wow - this picture is incredible. A really dynamic shot of the City that few get to see.

And imagine a bunch of high-rises in the distance before Southside hills in the gap between the city hall and fortis - on the Oceanex parking lot. Really nice potential.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 1:36 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Thanks, Jane!

May 24, 2013

Today was such a beautiful day that jeddy1989 and I decided to take our excursion a little farther afield than usual.

Video Link

The Taylor family sacrificed a lot for King and Empire. You can see the top son died on July 1, at Beaumont Hamel.

Old Posted May 25, 2013, 1:37 AM

I was so surprised by the Chinese graves from the 1840s... very interesting!

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:17 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

May 26, 2013

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's