HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Sometimes it takes me a bit longer to figure things out.

So I'm wondering about the Raddison / CanadInns...

Is it still a Raddison Hotel, or has CanadInns just taken over the whole, I don't know what it's supposed to be. If its totally a CanadInns (don't know why they didn't take over the Alt instead), are they planning on removing the Raddison signage so that people don't get like confused?
CanadInns owns the block, they operate the hotel under the Raddison brand through a license/franchising agreement.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 2:29 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
CanadInns owns the block, they operate the hotel under the Raddison brand through a license/franchising agreement.

OK, thanks for clearing that up for me, Wpg_Guy.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:35 PM

^I get the feeling that when they took it over, they were locked in to a contract with Radisson that still had X number of years left on it. Hence why they project that CanadInns logo under the Radisson one, painted the awnings red, and have CanadInns signs everywhere inside.

Would not be surprised to see it change to a "proper" CanadInns [not that any CanadInns can be proper] whenever said agreement runs out.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 2:15 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

thry renewed the radissan contract i thought

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 7:50 PM
Winnipeg

Just saw some pictures online regarding the Rec Room in Seasons and Outlet Mall. It seems that construction on the Rec Room is coming to the finished end.

I'm feeling excited about it. It's going to be another good place for entertainment

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:06 PM

Here's something that caught my eye in the Edmonton subforum that I'd love to see here... small scale development to fill in the gaps along the street wall and create more continuity along the sidewalk.

Towers are nice but a half dozen of these scattered around downtown sure would pack some urban punch:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
New CRU filling in that 'gap' east of the former HSBC building. Initially, I was told that it might be a Circle-K.

@ianoyeg

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 4:18 PM

^I got excited thinking this was on Graham Ave or somewhere downtown. haha

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:25 PM

The google ads at the bottom of the page connected me to the Colliers brochure for what I presume is BellMTS subletting space at 333 Main:

https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...7-d1e2b9df2250

5 full floors! Yowtch.

I love the building itself, it gives off some nice 80s vibes with the light stone cladding and the polished brass-looking accents. The MTS offices are a bit of a sad contrast with their somewhat typical for Winnipeg drab bargain basement decor... it looks more like a cube farm you'd expect to see somewhere out on Scurfield as compared to Portage and Main.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:37 PM

^^ This is the sort of thing I often talk about when I say that True North Square is going to result in a majorly depressed downtown office market for DECADES to come. When the paint dries and the reflection starts I am certain the wide consensus will be True North Square did far more harm that good for Winnipeg. We need to keep in mind those shinny new buildings don't come without a price.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:44 PM

^ Fair comment. Personally I disagree, I don't think TNS' office component is really big enough to be that disruptive. It's basically one mid-sized (for Winnipeg) building and a bit. We'll probably see a bit of musical chairs as B space users move into A buildings with open space (e.g. Taylor McCaffrey moving from 400 St. Mary Ave. to 201 Portage), C space users move into B buildings, and some older buildings find institutional uses, get redeveloped or become residential.

As long as there is positive absorbption in the market I don't think there's too much to worry about, because it's not like the market is being flooded with new space.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:57 PM

I agree esquire, think Cory is exaggerating it a bit here. TNS is already full, and the floorplates are actually quite small when you get in them. Plus, almost all the space is taken up by just 4 businesses and a handful of small offices. In terms of class A, Skip is only opening up 1 floor of A space on Main, the rest was B at best in some old Exchange warehouses.

And with Bell MTS, that had nothing to do with TNS – that is from them downsizing due to the takeover. So aside from the openings in the Exchange from Skip next year, we've already felt all the office displacement from TNS.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
^^ This is the sort of thing I often talk about when I say that True North Square is going to result in a majorly depressed downtown office market for DECADES to come. When the paint dries and the reflection starts I am certain the wide consensus will be True North Square did far more harm that good for Winnipeg. We need to keep in mind those shinny new buildings don't come without a price.
This is overly pessimistic. On a per-capita basis, Winnipeg's downtown office space inventory is on par with most other cities our size. The fact is that much of Winnipeggers negative sentiment about our city is rooted in the 1990s when population growth (and therefore the labour force) had virtually stagnated. Since then, population growth in Winnipeg is at record levels (around 100,000 people this decade) and guess what - those people need places to work.

Demand for office space might not be red hot and I don't think it ever will be, but as older and cheaper inventory gets used up (heritage buildings) and the labour force keeps expanding, those people employed in office-related professions need some place to work, let's not forget that. Manufacturing is in decline, so that sector won't be expanding as quickly as it has in the past and service and knowledge-based jobs will continue to grow in demand.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
You will have to explain how these teacher plans are different.

My wife is a teacher and gets blue cross. I can't right now figure out what major differences she receives or doesn't receive in terms of benefits as compared to the plan I am under. The kids all are covered under her dental plan, and so far, they never even bother to use mine because there is never any amounts owing after cleanings, fillings, etc.

I know her short and long term disability is different (teacher short term disability uses sick days, but then I don't officially get "sick days" - another teacher benefit) - but in every day life her prescription coverage is 80% (mine is 100%), she gets the standard coverage for massage, physio, etc. etc. Same as me.
There are some things teachers plans do not cover, such as glasses. IIRC, the plans are specific to the division, not to all teachers, so benefits can vary slightly between divisions.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
My wife is a teacher and I am currently moving over to her health plan because it is better then mine with higher maximums than all of my coverage's. Though I don't know other people's coverage's, I know hers was very good for us.
That might say more about your plan than hers.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Yeah, no.

Commercial real estate at P & M is cyclical. Did the work end with grain consolidation? No. When Viterra moved out? No. When CWB reduced? No. When G3 moved to 360 Main? No. Heck, in my building, GWL had five floors of space they vacated 3 years ago, and that's pretty much all been leased out.

The "sky is falling" attitude some people have that TNS is going to cripple P & M doesn't seem to be factually supported.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:07 PM

Sure Winnipeg is unlikely to realize the scenario of some TSX 60 company moving here with 1,500 jobs in tow, but there is always some rapidly growing company that ends up getting big and taking up a bunch of downtown office space. It isn't even the unicorns like Skip the Dishes... take MNP, 20 years ago it was a small office out by Polo Park. Now they're taking up a couple of floors at 201 Portage (maybe more by now, I'm not sure). They may be somewhat under the radar in terms of their profile as compared to the flashy operations like Canwest Global was, but they're out there...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:44 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Here's something that caught my eye in the Edmonton subforum that I'd love to see here... small scale development to fill in the gaps along the street wall and create more continuity along the sidewalk.

Towers are nice but a half dozen of these scattered around downtown sure would pack some urban punch:
Think of all the 99 cent pizza locations, that could move in!!!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Think of all the 99 cent pizza locations, that could move in!!!
Like all the ones in NYC?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The google ads at the bottom of the page connected me to the Colliers brochure for what I presume is BellMTS subletting space at 333 Main:

https://listingsprod.blob.core.windo...7-d1e2b9df2250

5 full floors! Yowtch.

I love the building itself, it gives off some nice 80s vibes with the light stone cladding and the polished brass-looking accents. The MTS offices are a bit of a sad contrast with their somewhat typical for Winnipeg drab bargain basement decor... it looks more like a cube farm you'd expect to see somewhere out on Scurfield as compared to Portage and Main.
Won't they need that space for the Bell Western Canada Head Office though???

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Won't they need that space for the Bell Western Canada Head Office though???
hehehe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan