HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:28 PM

Pretty disappointing is an understatement.
It seems that strip mall like development just continues unabated in Saskatoon.
As far as I'm concerned, this proposal should be rejected if the municipality has the power to do so, as it's a completely inappropriate replacement for that site.

It's curious that neither Cynthia Block nor Mayor Clark have commented on this, especially since they were so happy to see the condo development on a residential part of University Drive. Everyone seems to love the incursion of highrises into Nutana residential streets... just not on the main streets in the same neighbourhood, ironically.

I'm not disagreeing with the condo for University Drive, but why is it that this city always seems to settle for the mediocre in places where higher storeyed buildings actually should be constructed? Especially after all this chatter from civic leaders about densification?

This reminds me of when the city allowed the destruction of historical row housing along 25th Street to be replaced by a pathetic Mac's Convenience store, back in 1979. and I'm pretty disappointed that the city just keeps letting developers destroy buildings of historical significance, only to have them replaced with cheap, strip mall like single storey developments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
'We have tremendous interest in the site': New retail building planned for former Lydia's Pub spot

Construction on Saskatoon's former Farnam Block expected to start this spring

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
I have a friend who was doing some work on this project in the summer with the architect involved. They were looking at putting up an office tower next to the building where the parking lot is currently located. So, can confirm that that's 'the plan'. (In a perfect world with an incredibly robust economy...)
Ill assume no plans for this tower wont be announced until they fill their new office building with tenants first. Good news to hear.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 11:52 PM

I have to agree with you on this one coffee break, I thought this would have been great to have a condo on top of this retail. I can't believe that they wouldn't allow because the parking would have infringed some space beneath the sidewalk. Another opportunity goes away. I remember when the majority of Kingsway in Burnaby/Vancouver was one story retail. Take a look at it now an try and find retail without condos on top.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 12:09 AM

Density

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak View Post
Pretty disappointing is an understatement.
It seems that strip mall like development just continues unabated in Saskatoon.
As far as I'm concerned, this proposal should be rejected if the municipality has the power to do so, as it's a completely inappropriate replacement for that site.

It's curious that neither Cynthia Block nor Mayor Clark have commented on this, especially since they were so happy to see the condo development on a residential part of University Drive. Everyone seems to love the incursion of highrises into Nutana residential streets... just not on the main streets in the same neighbourhood, ironically.

I'm not disagreeing with the condo for University Drive, but why is it that this city always seems to settle for the mediocre in places where higher storeyed buildings actually should be constructed? Especially after all this chatter from civic leaders about densification?

This reminds me of when the city allowed the destruction of historical row housing along 25th Street to be replaced by a pathetic Mac's Convenience store, back in 1979. and I'm pretty disappointed that the city just keeps letting developers destroy buildings of historical significance, only to have them replaced with cheap, strip mall like single storey developments.
Charlie Clark keeps telling us that a Bus Rapid Transit system is the key to increasing density. The city is investing heavily into BRT and believes BRT is the key to extensive development of condos and businesses along the BRT routes. Broadway will be a BRT route so it is time for the city to no longer permit these one store developments or strip malls along any BRT corridors (including 8th street). Nothing but 5 story plus commercial/residential buildings should be permitted.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I have to agree with you on this one coffee break, I thought this would have been great to have a condo on top of this retail. I can't believe that they wouldn't allow because the parking would have infringed some space beneath the sidewalk. Another opportunity goes away. I remember when the majority of Kingsway in Burnaby/Vancouver was one story retail. Take a look at it now an try and find retail without condos on top.
The 5 storey condo on top of 2 storeys of retail was abandoned very early on in the conceptual phase, well before they released the renderings of the two storey structure with the massive windows and elaborate stone work.

Council did actually approve the parkade extending below the sidewalk. However, it never ended up happening because when the costs to build the parkade came in, it was not economically feasible to do so. Hence, we are left with a single storey structure with no parkade.

I believe had the lot been larger, or they managed to also tear down the neighboring building, a larger structure would likely have been feasible.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
The 5 storey condo on top of 2 storeys of retail was abandoned very early on in the conceptual phase, well before they released the renderings of the two storey structure with the massive windows and elaborate stone work.

Council did actually approve the parkade extending below the sidewalk. However, it never ended up happening because when the costs to build the parkade came in, it was not economically feasible to do so. Hence, we are left with a single storey structure with no parkade.

I believe had the lot been larger, or they managed to also tear down the neighboring building, a larger structure would likely have been feasible.
lets hope something like this doesnt happen to the old RBC lot across from extra foods.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
Charlie Clark keeps telling us that a Bus Rapid Transit system is the key to increasing density. The city is investing heavily into BRT and believes BRT is the key to extensive development of condos and businesses along the BRT routes. Broadway will be a BRT route so it is time for the city to no longer permit these one store developments or strip malls along any BRT corridors (including 8th street). Nothing but 5 story plus commercial/residential buildings should be permitted.
yeah ive been told the BRT/density thing is the key as well,i agree to a certain extent as roads/transit wont just fix it, i believe building first helps also, id like to see residential along 8th street, it would be great to see alot more walk-ability around that area.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:21 PM

Not that I disagree with what everyone is saying, but on what grounds could the city theoretically say no?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 3:57 PM

If, say, the city's zoning specified a minimum building height on Broadway that would necessitate a certain number of stories to be constructed.

There are at least architectural controls in place on Broadway, to ensure a certain level of design quality - be it a one-storey retail strip or otherwise.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 9:23 PM

Did SREDA ever release or publish anything in regards to their report on a potential new arena in downtown Saskatoon?

As the year winds down, I was expecting something to come out from them.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:40 AM

Don't think they have yet but has anyone ever seen this one from 2010

http://www.ceiarchitecture.com/proje...stadium-study/

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 5:18 PM

Remai Modern

Azure Architecture magazine lists the new Remai Modern gallery in Saskatoon as one of the World's 10 Top Buildings of 2017!
https://www.azuremagazine.com/articl...dings-of-2017/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:17 AM

'Showcase building' coming to former Farnam Block site
Developers for the former Farnam Block site on Broadway Avenue are promising an eye-catching replacement.

PHIL TANK, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX
Published on: January 3, 2018 | Last Updated: January 3, 2018 6:00 PM CST

Quote:
Developers are promising an eye-catching replacement for the former Farnam Block site on Broadway Avenue.

Gaby Akl, president of Enzogroup Realty Corp., said Wednesday that construction could begin by April on a one-storey building that could accommodate five businesses.

Akl acknowledged plans for a two-storey building on the site, seen by many when a rendering was posted online in 2016, have been scrapped due to several factors, including the market and the cost of building.

Akl promised a “showcase building” will replace the historic Farnam Block, which was demolished in March 2015 after 103 years on the corner of Broadway and 11th Street East.

“There is a tremendous interest in small retail space on Broadway and that is what this will be geared toward,” Akl said in an interview. “(The new building is) going to blend in very, very nicely and it will stand out on that site.”

A final rendering of the new building should be released soon, Akl said. The new building is expected to be constructed right to the property line on the site, which is about 6,000 square feet to 7,000 sq. ft., he added.

Akl said his company has already received a lot of interest in the site and the spaces could be leased by the time the building is completed. Potential businesses include small retail stores or restaurants, he said.

Construction is expected to take nine months to a year.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...nam-block-site

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:43 PM

Well...will have to be pretty "special" for a one story building to be a show case build. Will withhold opinion until they release the rendering. Still bummed they are not proceeding with the two story rendering released previously as I really liked that one.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 5:04 PM

For those who missed out on seeing the original two storey conceptual drawing here is the link to it:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...pops-up-online

IMO it would have been a very suitable design, hopefully not too much is lost by not having additional floor space above.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:05 PM

Yup, basically build the first floor in that rendering and it will be a handsome building (albeit disappointingly low).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:04 PM

Unfortunately, the cost of the parkade (deemed necessary for a two storey building by the developers) drove the overall cost to the point that it was not feasible to proceed. Very expensive to construct a parkade with such a small footprint when factoring in the shoring required to build to the property lines.

Sad, but understandable.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 2:41 PM

Does anyone know what's up with the new Bed Bath and Beyond at Preston Crossing? It sounds like they were originally supposed to open in November (or maybe earlier?), but now it sounds like March. It seems like it could have/should have been open awhile ago based on everything else around it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:33 AM

The Saskatchewan Health Authority lists its temporary office at Grosvenor Park Centre on 8th street. Guess they are still looking for suitable space. I would think now that they are hiring staff this would be a priority soon.

https://www.saskhealthauthority.ca/pages/Contacts.aspx

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
The Saskatchewan Health Authority lists its temporary office at Grosvenor Park Centre on 8th street. Guess they are still looking for suitable space. I would think now that they are hiring staff this would be a priority soon.

https://www.saskhealthauthority.ca/pages/Contacts.aspx
Not sure of requirements, but a nice 5-10 storey office building in the downtown would be nice....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan