HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 5:48 AM

Nassau & River
The Tudor/ Crafstman blended style house holds some historic value, I recall reading somewhere hat it was designed by one of Winnipeg's more prominent architects during the turn of the century.
I could be wrong.

Another thing, And I'm sure it's been said countless times before: In my opinion what makes that area desirable is the older houses especially the ones holding historic value. I understand from a economical and efficient point that replacing these older Homes Is the best long term option, But it just kills me to see what is happening with that area.

I sort of grew up on Nassau,
my favourite memories as a kid were spent in a beautiful home which now sadly is a shell of what it used to be. I feel like a lot of people are going to feel burnt like me ten plus years from now when what is left is replaced by a somethin with zero character.

My opinion

Old Posted Nov 30, 2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Does the city have any way to force them to finish the apartments as proposed?
Last I saw the city public service is working on a report on how to have builders and developers achieve compliance with approved submitted plans.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Winnipeg View Post
Nassau & River
The Tudor/ Crafstman blended style house holds some historic value, I recall reading somewhere hat it was designed by one of Winnipeg's more prominent architects during the turn of the century.
I could be wrong.
An Arthur Sullivan lived at 530 River (the house at the corner) in 1914. I've never heard of him, but looks like he was fairly prominent in the city's business community. Though this is not remarkable for this area of what's now Osborne Village. And I think it's safe to assume the most historic residences are long gone. I live in an Osborne Village high-rise that replaced the residence of Sir William Whyte when it was built in the late '60s, for example. The Nantons, the Campbells, the Galts, the Rosses, the Blacks... their impressive houses have been gone for decades.

The irony is, the more 'historic value' a residence has based on the way that heritage is currently evaluated in Winnipeg, the more prominent the occupant was, which meant they usually built on large lots close to the river, north of River Avenue (rather than on smaller, 33'-50' lots south of River. Decades later, the residential largesse of these prominent citizens made their old houses difficult to keep and the land easy to assemble and build tall on.

I don't cheer when I see old houses in the area taken down, but I don't exactly mourn, either (assuming they're not being replaced by parking lots or other garbage). Change is just an inevitable force. Many of Winnipeg's grand old houses were pulled down for walk-up apartments in the middle of the 20th century.

I don't know who designed 530 River, but the house next door (100 Nassau) was the home of J.D. Atchison, who was a very busy architect in Winnipeg's boom years.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
An Arthur Sullivan lived at 530 River (the house at the corner) in 1914. I've never heard of him, but looks like he was fairly prominent in the city's business community. Though this is not remarkable for this area of what's now Osborne Village. And I think it's safe to assume the most historic residences are long gone. I live in an Osborne Village high-rise that replaced the residence of Sir William Whyte when it was built in the late '60s, for example. The Nantons, the Campbells, the Galts, the Rosses, the Blacks... their impressive houses have been gone for decades.

The irony is, the more 'historic value' a residence has based on the way that heritage is currently evaluated in Winnipeg, the more prominent the occupant was, which meant they usually built on large lots close to the river, north of River Avenue (rather than on smaller, 33'-50' lots south of River. Decades later, the residential largesse of these prominent citizens made their old houses difficult to keep and the land easy to assemble and build tall on.

I don't cheer when I see old houses in the area taken down, but I don't exactly mourn, either (assuming they're not being replaced by parking lots or other garbage). Change is just an inevitable force. Many of Winnipeg's grand old houses were pulled down for walk-up apartments in the middle of the 20th century.

I don't know who designed 530 River, but the house next door (100 Nassau) was the home of J.D. Atchison, who was a very busy architect in Winnipeg's boom years.

I must have been thinking of the house next door as that sounds like the right person.

Very well put, And I can't help but agree with you. I'm just a bit bitter when it comes to the aesthetic development of our city and obviously rather see these old homes remain. That being said a really well designed and detailed apartment building on that corner could really define the street.

At the end of the day it's the property owner who has the say as to what goes up, Let's be hopeful it's a nice outcome

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:24 PM

NIMBY fun: The redevelopment of the Osborne Village Inn site and surrounding properties is being held up at the City's Appeal committee today. The two appellants cite declining property values and something called "heatsink" as reasons for their respective opposition to this development.

Amazing.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:28 PM

^ Did they work jet-plane contrails in there somewhere?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:08 PM

^If you have the time read through the emails submitted by the two appellants, I would recommend it for some high comedy. There is all kinds of crazy going on.

Here is an example: "... It is not romantic to think of cramming families and individuals in to a sub human space. The price of space will be higher than the average citizen can afford at such small spaces. The City of Winnipeg should be ashamed of allowing such small units be constructed in a high density area...."

So this person claims to be concerned about the welfare of future tenants who will have to live in smaller, more expensive apartments? Wacky.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:32 PM

I see that council has rejected the "concerns" that were expressed.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...566089871.html

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:27 PM

I always laugh when people get all worked up about "families". Why are families more important than people generally? If you don't have a family then you shouldn't be considered in societal decisions? It's like when politicians get excited about "the middle class" like they are more important than poor or rich people.

I get it, everyone had or does have a family, and most people consider themselves to be middle class whether they are or they aren't. I just find it funny.

Sorry, this is in response to reading that lady's opinions submitted to the Comunity Committee meeting regarding the OVI development.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:22 PM

Oh man, this one letter is so great:

Quote:
"Having premises on the street that sells alcohol will impact the safety of the homes on the street. Children and families will be negatively impacted by the exposure to litter, drinking and second hand smoking. This will lower properly values on the street"
Yes it's very worrisome that a licensed commercial unit in this development will replace the genteel Ozzy's Beer Vendor, which existed on Wardlaw for many decades, and was a popular gathering space for upper class grandmothers on their way home from temperance league meetings.

And as if the second-hand smoke wasn't bad enough, area children will literally be shit on:
Quote:
"Owners with animals may have animals urine or defecate off of the decks/patios on to the public or kids below on the sidewalk. Strongly disagree with the variance approval for these reasons."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:27 PM

This is OV. The most densely populated area of Winnipeg. And people are worrying abut balconies and such. BS. Just NIMBY's complaining.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I always laugh when people get all worked up about "families". Why are families more important than people generally? If you don't have a family then you shouldn't be considered in societal decisions? It's like when politicians get excited about "the middle class" like they are more important than poor or rich people.

I get it, everyone had or does have a family, and most people consider themselves to be middle class whether they are or they aren't. I just find it funny.

Sorry, this is in response to reading that lady's opinions submitted to the Comunity Committee meeting regarding the OVI development.
The line you're referring to, I think, is this:
Quote:
I am very concerned about developments that reduce family housing, decrease green space and increase traffic.
I would think that planners and city council would be entering some Charter of Rights and Freedoms territory, and exposing themselves to legal challenge accordingly, if they were to make decisions that define "family" too specifically.

I guess that's why the Winnipeg zoning bylaw defines family as "one person or two or more person voluntarily associated, plus any dependents, living together as an independent, self-governing single-housekeeping unit."

It's a funny thing about the NIMBY world today: they're almost all the dutifully groovy progressive baby boomer type, yet their view of "families" and "family housing" is so rigid. There's no room for single parent families. No room for couples without children. No room for extended families or what used to be known as lodgers (see them come out against granny suites).

Like, what makes a "family"? Two parents and one kid? Or do you need two kids?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:33 AM

The fact that person mentions that the area is dense, so shouldn't have small units, is hilarious. Like that's so contradictory.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The fact that person mentions that the area is dense, so shouldn't have small units, is hilarious. Like that's so contradictory.
I agree the comments were pretty unfounded, BUT they had the right to express them, so matter how silly they were.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:04 PM

^And we have the right to point and laugh on these SSP comment boards.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 5:18 PM

I hate the "tower in the park" attitude of some longterm OV residents. My sister just moved into a place on Roslyn and I see all the 80 year olds that live there going in and out when I visit and I know for sure these are the people showing up to these variance meetings and shutting everything down citing crime, parking and people shitting on kids from their balconies, etc.

Last edited by Jeff; Dec 12, 2019 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
SE River at Nassau and it does look like crap.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 9:38 PM

The newer render does make some modest improvements, looks a bit cleaner and sort of bland, I guess that's an improvement over the multi-colour Hardie board.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 9:55 PM

^ It's not the greatest looking building but at the same time it's kind of inoffensive too. It's like a modern take on the non-descript old walkup buildings you see all over town.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
The newer render does make some modest improvements, looks a bit cleaner and sort of bland, I guess that's an improvement over the multi-colour Hardie board.
Plans are a combination of Long Board/ Hardie / Full bed brick masonary.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan