HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 8:22 PM
the first stamp is free

It might be good to get a little spotlight or some press on this lone house at Mostyn and Balmoral. Perhaps some public pressure to get GWL to "shit or get off the pot" on this house. Who do we know that writes columns in the Free Press around here...

It has held up remarkably well considering it has had no heat or maintenance over the years.

I doubt GWL would like to be publically outed for standing in the way of a useful redevelopment of this home?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:31 AM
Density and complexity

Here is what's left of Osborne Place

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
It might be good to get a little spotlight or some press on this lone house at Mostyn and Balmoral. Perhaps some public pressure to get GWL to "shit or get off the pot" on this house. Who do we know that writes columns in the Free Press around here...

It has held up remarkably well considering it has had no heat or maintenance over the years.

I doubt GWL would like to be publically outed for standing in the way of a useful redevelopment of this home?
Demolition by neglect ...

If it was up to GWL, they would undoubtedly 'shit.'

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:34 AM
Starring as himself

Nice pics, Rob. I'm down in Florida this week but will see if I can find some shots of Whitehall in its heyday in my archives when I get home. It would be interesting to know whether the City has any policy about oreserving surviving signage etc.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Nice pics, Rob. I'm down in Florida this week but will see if I can find some shots of Whitehall in its heyday in my archives when I get home. It would be interesting to know whether the City has any policy about oreserving surviving signage etc.
The City does designate objects with heritage status such as Upper Fort Garry gate (Grade I), portions of the Main Street bridge, etc. There are pillars, including two sets on Henderson and a bunch on Portage, that I thought had heritage designation but they're only on the inventory (no legal protection but i believe there is a review if a demo permit is applied for).

Incidentally here's the report for the house on Mostyn/Balmoral we've been discussing. Grade III heritage status.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/historic/...ral51-long.pdf

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:35 PM
What could go wrong?

If i remember correctly, and this sounds a little strange, but i remember someone from GWL telling me that they use that house for storage of files and other things. Seems a little bit of a stretch because imagine it could become a bit of a security nightmare if there are confidential files in an isolated on site building.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ maybe at some point, but I doubt it now. The power supply to the house is obviously cut off, and the interior is probably deteriorating rapidly.

Isn't there a bylaw in Winnipeg that allows a prospective developer to submit plans to the city for derelict properties, and after a certain amount of time has passed, if the current owner has not shown any improvements to said derelict property, the city can re-appropriate the property to the new prospective developer?

I seem to remember this happening to a house on Arlington in Wolseley. The city took a derelict house away from an owner, and gave it to someone who had a redevelopment plan in place.

Keep up with me here... if this bylaw IS available, why couldn't someone do the same for this house and GWL? The house appears from the outside to be in generally good condition. Sinking about 100k into the house would probably be enough to bring it back up to snuff.

GWL obviously have no plans for it, and are waiting until it falls down, or a backhoe "accidentally" knocks down a wall when plowing snow...

Last edited by drew; Apr 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM. Reason: grammer

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 3:55 PM
What could go wrong?

I'd bet the City is scared of GWL. They probably very quickly turn their heads when bylaws might be challenged.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
The City does designate objects with heritage status such as Upper Fort Garry gate (Grade I), portions of the Main Street bridge, etc. There are pillars, including two sets on Henderson and a bunch on Portage, that I thought had heritage designation but they're only on the inventory (no legal protection but i believe there is a review if a demo permit is applied for).

Incidentally here's the report for the house on Mostyn/Balmoral we've been discussing. Grade III heritage status.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/ppd/historic/...ral51-long.pdf
We lived on the corner of Hazeldell and Henderson in the '50s when I was a very little gaffer.....around '54.... remember those pillars well and still see them everytime I come to Winnipeg...hope they stay a long time.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 5:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I'd bet the City is scared of GWL. They probably very quickly turn their heads when bylaws might be challenged.
Perhaps. But we are planning to move to a slightly larger house, with a bigger yard in the next 5 years...

Maybe I'll get a proposal together for this house, and sandbag GWL...

If you could manage to get this house for 100 to 150K it could be be feasible...

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. But we are planning to move to a slightly larger house, with a bigger yard in the next 5 years...

Maybe I'll get a proposal together for this house, and sandbag GWL...

If you could manage to get this house for 100 to 150K it could be be feasible...
There are lots of bylaws around now that they could be slapped with ... Biff might know more. Nothing like a good public shaming. What's GWL worth, a few billion? Too bad my shares have been stagnant.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 4:47 PM

GWL bought and demolished that whole block a long, long time ago, but the owner of that house wouldn't sell. They acquired it when he died, but by then it was more difficult to demolish heritage houses, so for a while I believe they rented it out to employees of the company.
Now that demolition by neglect has become the popular way to go about getting rid of heritage buildings, I guess that's their plan.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 6:43 PM
the first stamp is free

^ incidentally, I did email the city about that house.

Among other things in the response, they replied with:

"This property has been listed as a vacant building and is currently under
investigation by the City to ensure that it complies with by-laws
regarding vacant and boarded buildings."

According to the city by-laws, the city has to start going after the owner for neglect of a property. Following that, they can begin the process of trying to take the property from the owner.

Only AFTER this process happens, the city advertises for Expressions of Interest for potential redevelopment.

I read through the vacant buildings bylaw (79/2010) quickly, and GWL is obviously not meeting the maintenance requirements for this property...

Last edited by drew; Apr 7, 2011 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 12:03 AM
the first stamp is free

FYI, if anyone wants to have the city inspect a vacant building or property that you think is being neglected - just call 311.

They will send out an inspector within 10 days of getting a complaint, and if you want the inspector will call you to go over the problems you observed.

I would suggest to anyone who's interested in becoming an annoying neighbour like me, to take a look at Schedule A in the WPG bylaw 79/2010. It goes over what kind of deterioration to houses constitutes neglect. It is surprisingly thorough, and you can can make a complaint for something as minor as damaged eavestroughs.

Anyways, I think I am obsessed.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 1:51 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
FYI, if anyone wants to have the city inspect a vacant building or property that you think is being neglected - just call 311.

They will send out an inspector within 10 days of getting a complaint, and if you want the inspector will call you to go over the problems you observed.

I would suggest to anyone who's interested in becoming an annoying neighbour like me, to take a look at Schedule A in the WPG bylaw 79/2010. It goes over what kind of deterioration to houses constitutes neglect. It is surprisingly thorough, and you can can make a complaint for something as minor as damaged eavestroughs.

Anyways, I think I am obsessed.
indeed indeed now if the city would go after the owners of the peck building to look after it

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 1:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
indeed indeed now if the city would go after the owners of the peck building to look after it
I'm pretty sure that the owners of the Peck building is the Church of Scientology. They are/were planning a $10 million reno but i am not sure what has become of that.

Maybe their intergalactic contractor is busy somewhere else in the galaxy at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 3:06 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Those potholes come back every year! We bus drivers hate them!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2011, 6:12 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

indeed they do. i've bent a rim on my bike once cause of them because some bus allmost slamed me into the gard rail

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan