HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 8:56 AM
arf

Pedeli(sp?) in the Golden Mile for fries with more seasoned salt than was healthy.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
I remember when I was a kid most of the major grocery stores had a poor selection for buns so my dad used to take us to BUNS MASTERS but I was too little to remember where it was or if there was more than 1 location, any help???
But do you remember the jingle for Buns Master?

"Buns, Buns, Buns Master
Buns, Buns, Buns Master
Ooooh, aaaah, baked fresh everyday , BUNS MASTER!!"

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spictacular mcluvin View Post
I remember when I was a kid most of the major grocery stores had a poor selection for buns so my dad used to take us to BUNS MASTERS but I was too little to remember where it was or if there was more than 1 location, any help???

I also remember countless convenience stores across this city that use to be called CIRCLE K's, the only location I can remember for sure is one on McCarthy Blvd

I remember that the Staples Call Centre on the north end of Winnipeg Street used to be SIAST and where SIAST currently is now used to be a Plains Hospital (funny enough i've been to both locations, worked at Staples Call Centre and took some classes at the current SIAST building AND also got stitches at the Plains Hospital that used to be where SIAST currently is.
Bunsmaster was somewhere on the east side of Park St. between the tracks and Dewdney...I think...and Circle K used to have two on McCarthy (Rochdale and one on 4th Ave.) also one on Sherwood and Mikkelson. I grew up in the north end so those I know for sure. I can guess there were more.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brithgob View Post
The other Dominion locations I specifically remember were the Eaton-Dominion Mall (which became a Produce World, owned by Safeway, and is now Value Village)
I don't remember this, only read about it, but in the 1910's that area along Broad Street was given to the City of Regina by the Government of Canada as a recreational park & baseball field. In Regina's attempt to grow and compete with other prairie cities, they attracted Eaton's to come to Regina and open a major department store in the 1920's. They bowled over the baseball field and began work on building the Eaton's building (now the Value Village building) on that piece of land. The Gov't of Canada got word of this and sued the city of Regina for using recreational land gifted to them as commercial development land. The $100,000 the city received from the sale of the land (a ton in the 1920's!) to Eaton's all went to the Gov't of Canada by a court decision. Regina appealed the decision and won a portion of it back, but the courts mandated that the money be used to build more recreational parks in Regina.

haha. I love Regina history.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 3:55 PM

Circle K stores were located in Shell stations. It was some sort of licensing agreement that has since ended (there are still Circle K stores in the U.S.)

Anybody remember a chain of convenience stores called Happy Shopper?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 4:43 PM

Marian High School (a former Catholic, all-girls school) and its surrounding campus is now replaced by Marian Gardens condo development east of Albert St. and North of 25th Ave.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 6:01 PM

W.C. Howe School (Lockwood Rd., near Sunset Dr.) and Elsie Dorsey School (Castle Rd, near Grant Rd.) -- both former elementary schools -- are replaced by residential housing on Birch Cr. (W.C. Howe) and residential housing on Castle Pl.+adjacent open space (Elsie Dorsey).

Last edited by Scruff Bucket; Jul 30, 2009 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:04 PM

My Dad said that there used to be a Chinese restaurant called "WK Restaurant" at the SE corner of Broad St. and then "South Railroad" -- now Saskatchewan Dr. -- where the STC bus depot is now.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:26 PM

In addition to the Capital Theatre, there was the Broadway Theatre on the NE corner of Broad Street and 11th Ave, the Met Theatre on the SW corner of Broad and 11th.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:18 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadyeyez View Post
Bunsmaster was somewhere on the east side of Park St. between the tracks and Dewdney...I think...and Circle K used to have two on McCarthy (Rochdale and one on 4th Ave.) also one on Sherwood and Mikkelson. I grew up in the north end so those I know for sure. I can guess there were more.
I remember that Bunsmaster jingle too, and they had a location in Brandon MB (not far from where I grew up). They used to play it on the local TV station.

I lived in Regina for only 4 months on a government contract (back in 2001), but it was a great experience. I just came from living in Toronto for 2 years so it was a bit of a downshift in pace.. suddenly I had all of this time on my hands (I can get home in 20 minutes? wtf?) I lived in the south end in those apartments on Lockwood Rd.

In my time there, I enjoyed :

- Dewdney Ave (Manhattan's)?
- some micro brew pub on Albert (can't remember the name, but they had some golf arcade game from 1998)
- a roughriders game (sweet)
- the shortcut on university park drive to arcola to avoid the clusterfuck intersection that was victoria/ring road (I worked on #1 just outside of town)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
In addition to the Capital Theatre, there was the Broadway Theatre on the NE corner of Broad Street and 11th Ave, the Met Theatre on the SW corner of Broad and 11th.
The basement of the Regina Inn was a one-screen movie theatre. It's now the Applause Dinner Theatre.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 9:13 PM

Yeah, the theatre in the Regina Inn was called the Odeon Centre.

I remember those Buns Master commercials too -- for some reason, they reminded me of "The Jeffersons", because that jingle sounded similar, and their logo at the time used the same font as the opening titles of "The Jeffersons."

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
The basement of the Regina Inn was a one-screen movie theatre. It's now the Applause Dinner Theatre.
Regina Inn had some Arcade as well. Speaking of which, I sure miss the Galaxy 3 Arcade on 11th Ave. There was also an arcade on dewdney ave across from macdonalds where there was/is a vietnamese store/restaurant.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:15 AM
Capitalist

I have a few memories..

I remember a few former theaters in Regina... Capitol Theater on Scarth Street and 12th, where as insurance building (can't remember the name) was built across from Victoria Park and the twin towers. Lining up down scarth to see a couple of good ones. Those pics bring back memories.

The theaters at Cornwall Centre ... aww the memories there. I was sad to see that was had closed.

.. and of course the Odeon theaters on Albert and 11th. I used to work in the area and had parking across the street from that theater, which I believe is now an office building.

I also remember the Landmark Hotel on south Albert Street. It eventually become a bit run down, but it was at one time a nice place with a nice little restaurant.

Also lets not forget the pool hall on 7th ... which may or may not still be around.

Last edited by newflyer; Jul 31, 2009 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 10:07 AM
arf

I remember seeing Superman 2 at the Metropolitan (Met) Theatre on the southwest corner of Broad and 12th Avenue. At least I think that was the location. Across the street from the Army and Navy.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 7:09 PM
Chilean like a villian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I was born and raised in Whitmore Park, so I've got fond memories of South Albert in the 80's. I remember when...

...Dairy Queen was located in the building that currently houses Subway/TCBY. They were on two stories and had a big staircase leading to the second story, which had a big fishtank at the top of the stairs.
Wow I remember so many of the things you said about the South End, I grew up in the Cathedral and Downtown areas but went to highschool in the south end (LeBoldus) but had alot of friends in the NW and some in the East end so I remember most areas (at least the major stuff)

but you forgot to mention that where the Subway/TCBY store currently is, also used to be a burger restaurant called MASTER STEAKS and they had the BEST BURGERS that had shredded lettuce in them, well IMO

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:20 AM

I remember when the Golden Mile Plaza was an outdoor strip mall with an arcade over a wide sidewalk next to the parking lot. There was very little south of there on Albert St. other than A&W, Dairy Queen and a few motor hotels

I also remember when the first McDonald's opened on South Albert.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 3:41 AM

my apologies if someone has mentioned this.......

At the Hill Ave mini mall in the 1970's there was a take out chicken place and it had absolutely the best fried chicken in the world...When we came to visit Regina it was always the highlight of the trip. Dang I miss that place.!

honourable mention..."Franks Cafe"

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 1:20 PM

I remember when I would go hunting gophers in the fields west of 25th and Queen Street...when Pasqua was a dirt road ending at 25th...when the
Lewvan was a railroad track next to the airport property...when the rugby fields were wheat fields...the first building constructed in the area was a roller rink - later SGI claim center. I remember when it was called SGIO.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 2:13 PM

Speaking of cathedral area, Mullins Hardware across from Safeway. Another Arcade at the corner of 13th and elphinstone, Dewers Drugstore at the same corner, Connaught Grocery store where they had 4 video games in the back and I had spent lots of time there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan