HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The price IMO is high but very reasonable given that this will likely become one of Winnipeg's most sought after neighbourhoods.
I agree.

It's funny, when I grew up in Norwood that area was definitely considered "the wrong side of the tracks". and look at it now. hopefully the other side of the River north of waterfront drive will get this level of new investment as well.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
$500+/per square doesn't make sense for that home
Yeah, that's what I mean. The home itself doesn't seem that much better than a typical new higher-end subdivision build which would cost 40% less. Location is great but that's quite a premium. It's a great home though, and I'd totally live in it if I could afford it.

As to the chef and his/her ability to afford it... well, when you run a successful business it doesn't really matter what it is you do, you'll have money. I know guys whose day to day occupations involve running fast food restaurants and doing body work on cars. Perhaps not the sort of jobs most parents dream of their kids doing, but when you're good at it and you actually own the business, you can make a pile of cash. Same thing with chefs.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 10:59 PM

825 Tache was approved today at Riel cc over the objections of a very well-organized residents group. Both Mayes and Allard said it was one of toughest files they had worked on. Good on allard in particular. His great grandfather was named Hebert, one of the founders of point Hebert), and he was under pressure from friends, neighbours and relatives to deny the application. He read a statement into the record detailing the reasons for his decision and really showing support for careful densification. I watched it online and found it quite interesting.
Now if the Leafs get slapped down it will be a perfect day!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 5:32 PM

That's the condos and CRU's going in along the River north of the tracks? People are opposed to it? wtf..

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 5:53 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
That's the condos and CRU's going in along the River north of the tracks? People are opposed to it? wtf..
You've probably noticed the amount of nimbyism in st b i can't see how this comes as a surprise to you. Honestly it seems as though the residents there just oppose things for the sake of opposing them. They have this idee-fixe about how st b should be and how it is and will fight tooth and nail to preserve it, no matter how beneficial it is to the area. Like geez if you want a great big detached house and low density move to the burbs.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 6:05 PM

^ Old St. B and River Heights residents are pretty much neck and neck for NIMBYest in Winnipeg. What Old St. B lacks in sheer numbers of NIMBYs they make up for in organization levels.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Their anger is understandable.

Recent developments in the north part of St. B have seriously disrupted the tarpaper shack, car up on blocks, guy in a wife beater burning garbage in an oil drum aesthetic that they had going there for so many years.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 9:41 PM

I wouldn't say I'm surprised. But come on already..

And yes, the tar paper shack, Joe Dirt era is over in north St. B haha

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 4:00 PM
There is always a way

You guys would not (or maybe you would) believe the absolute shit storm on Matt Allards Facebook right now. Heaven forbid he actually make a progressive decision!!! Didn't realize an 8 floor condo could constitute political suicide!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 4:06 PM

poor guy. I wonder if they have the clout to do him in.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2016, 7:30 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
poor guy. I wonder if they have the clout to do him in.
I don't know if they'll be able to do him in. Honestly the people who are okay with a project like this are less likely to show at meetings.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:15 AM
BANNED

Charting a future for Marion Street

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...399522081.html

Quote:
One example of revitalization on the strip in the heart of the Norwood Grove BIZ catchment area is 300 Tache Ave., a renovated four-storey, mixed-use building that now houses boutique apartments and businesses such as Samantha James Hair Design on the ground floor.

Mathieson said there will also be a restaurant setting up shop on the ground floor at the beginning of November

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 12:11 AM

While the new mixed-use and redone heritage building are fantastic, that new strip mall with parking in front is disgusting and the fact that it's mentioned in the same breath as creating a walkable neighbourhood is laughable. That should never have happened, and that article should be pointing out how that is in fact not the type of development the area needs.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2016, 2:05 PM

Bouchee Butcher a restaurant / butcher shop opened at corner of Marion and Tache, former owner of 7 1/4 Bistro. neat concept, can't wait to walk over there and try it out

Last edited by wags_in_the_peg; Dec 5, 2016 at 2:06 PM. Reason: fixed spelling

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 1:46 AM

The Tache condo development was in the news again

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 1:59 AM
There is always a way

The emotional plea for the public to support the nimbyism is low. The neighborhood needs this refreshing development. Starting to look a little stale

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 3:33 AM

these clowns need to realize that having a dense, cohesive neighbourhood will only up their property values. I mean, you don't live in grand point.. u live across from portage and main. mindboggling. that was one of the dumbest videos ive ever watched.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 3:50 AM

Someone's argument against it is that it will block the future views from a condo building that they're going to build next door? What?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 7:25 PM

Just a few people with a last ditch effort to stop this, specially the guy trying to build a condo nearby! come on. it will make the neighbourhood SO much better. Your other new condo will help with that too

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG922 View Post
Just a few people with a last ditch effort to stop this, specially the guy trying to build a condo nearby! come on. it will make the neighbourhood SO much better. Your other new condo will help with that too
Absolutely.
It will improve that area visually , stimulate modest growth and bring properties up in values.
That area will thrive after a few more of these get built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan