HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 15, 2007, 2:57 PM

Oddly, Tulsa also has a brand new "Pearl District." It doesn't really measure up to either Portland or this, as I understand.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpcarey View Post
There has been some very theoretical discussion about that. I think it's a great idea, and would serve as a great driver for infill development. But it's certainly not a profitable idea! Transit is terribly expensive.

Chad.
not necessarily true.

#1. there have been profitable transit systems.

#2. We are already in the red for the amount of roads we lay down in this city. By avoiding a good transit system, we continue to spend and endless sum on roads, and perpetuate more urban sprawls. These costs are enormous. A smart transit system, can save us from a lot other griefs.

Obviously if your a builder, a good transit system is not necessarily a good thing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2007, 2:00 PM

To respond:

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. If you can show me a profitable transit system, I'd love to be proven wrong. Even NYC's transit, arguably the most used and most effecient in the country, is not PROFITABLE. It is a COST, and will always be a COST. That said, it is a cost worth bearing because it has incredible ridership and makes the high-density city livable.

Who cares if it's PROFITABLE anyway? As you pointed out, streets, highways, overpasses, major thoroughfares, etc. aren't PROFITABLE. But they're neccessary because that's how the vast majority of folks in SA get around.

And I agree with you 100% that the amount of money we spend on auto-centric transit is, to steal from Jim Kunstler, and tremendous misallocation of resources. But that won't change until we prove that urbanism is a viable option compared to suburbia. If you think having a cool, functional urban transit system will convince people from Stone Oak to give up their suburban lifestyle, you're crazy!

Re: you're point that "Obviously if your a builder, a good transit system is not necessarily a good thing."...............I'm not sure I understand your point.

Chad.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 2:29 AM
Bears of antiquity

I think he's implying that keeping people in the central city makes it hard to draw people into suburban developments thus drawing away profits.

And I truly do think that there will be something of a urban growth area around the new pearl and the river north area... boutique hotels and a loop streetcar could eventually be viable.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2007, 4:46 AM

If they could only convince more employers to move central. It certainly makes it harder for someone to make the move downtown if they have to drive out to 1604 for work.

Tesoro and NuStar Energy were lost opputunities.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 3:40 AM

Provide housing for the pioneers, and creative jobs will come downtown. Retail will develop, and the spiral will feed itself. if we could get to 10,000 units as Dallas did in 10 years, all else will follow - including perhaps real public transit. For now, count on the "river taxi" to be operational to Pearl. I will be one of the first to buy a pass.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:20 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Update: The Fox Photo building was demolished yesterday and the Snow White Cleaners is schedule for demolition on January 7th.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 5:23 AM

Does anyone know what's happening at the former Butter-Krust building? I see construction going on but have no idea.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 6:02 PM
Closed account

former buttercrust will be Pioneer flour offices. That construction is unrelated. It's a drainage project and new stop lights at Alamo and Broadway.

edit: sorry for bringing up an old topic lol, I was just looking for info on the eighteenhundred broadway project on google and this came up.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
former buttercrust will be Pioneer flour offices. That construction is unrelated. It's a drainage project and new stop lights at Alamo and Broadway.

edit: sorry for bringing up an old topic lol, I was just looking for info on the eighteenhundred broadway project on google and this came up.
New threads are opened on the same old topics over and over again, instead of just adding to the original discussion, so no apologies needed IMO. I'd rather have one thread for one discussion.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 12:20 AM

These are courtesy of Chad Casey, the developer of The Eighteen Hundred.

Thank you very much.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:59 AM

This looks to be exactly what that area needs

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:05 AM
Closed account

What do the highlighted streets mean in the third picture?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:07 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

sooooo nice. perfect. neighborhood. walkable. communal. ahhhhh!!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:07 AM
James

This looks amazing! I'm so excited for this project.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
What do the highlighted streets mean in the third picture?
Most likely just to show the connectivity between Eighteen Hundred and The Pearl.

Though I could be wrong. Chad would know more than me.

Looking at Broadway, imagine all of Broadway from the interchange to Mulberry lined up with developments similar to this. With the movement already happening and BRAC, that is more and more likely.

Chad, do you know if there's anything planned for that grassy lot sandwiched between Sam's Burger Joint to the south and Valero to the north?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:57 AM

Also, the buildings underneath "River North Development" is the Broadway Lofts redevelopment.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 2:20 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

this is the beginning, people. remember this.

and remember that a few of these type of developments might be better than 1 or 2 residential skyscrapers. great urban cities are great because of this scale development and this look for a neighborhood every bit as muchas they are for imposing skylines. my favorite neighborhoods in san fransisco, seattle, and even nyc have very few 400 footers and quite a few 4-8 story buildings right on the sidewalk.

i think broadway and river north are showing us the tip of the iceberg here - i am starting to get very, very excited. between this and the broadway lofts, we definitely have the beginning of something special.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:14 PM

All -

First, thanks for your enthusiasm! This project has been very difficult from a permitting/design standpoint, but especially from a capitalization standpoint (it's very, very difficult to finance projects right now, especially a project with no comps). We are very excited about getting this "out of the ground".

Oh - and I fully expect board members here to "put their money where their mouth is" and lease a unit when we open!

SKW is correct - Grayson and Pearl are highlighted to emphasize the connection to Pearl and the River.

With regards to the empty lot at the NW corner of Broadway and Grayson, George Mauze has plans for a 9-story condo building (with street retail). He should formally announce the project (and start pre-sales) very soon.

As you guys are pointing out, there are lots of good things happening down there. It's important for us all to continue to promote the idea of this urban neighborhood.

Chad.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 3:27 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadpcarey View Post
With regards to the empty lot at the NW corner of Broadway and Grayson, George Mauze has plans for a 9-story condo building (with street retail). He should formally announce the project (and start pre-sales) very soon..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio