HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:05 PM
Starring as himself

Nice. I wonder how many of our forefathers/mothers actually knew each other back then! My one great grandfather arrived in 1899 and the other in 1904 or 1905. Following them year by year through the Henderson Directories, it was interesting how regularly people changed jobs and how they would move house almost on a yearly basis depending on where they worked.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Nice. I wonder how many of our forefathers/mothers actually knew each other back then! My one great grandfather arrived in 1899 and the other in 1904 or 1905. Following them year by year through the Henderson Directories, it was interesting how regularly people changed jobs and how they would move house almost on a yearly basis depending on where they worked.
It's interesting to think of! I've tracked this family (and other ancestors who came later) in the Hendersons as well. A lot of movement in terms of residences in those early years, as the family and the city were growing rapidly... it's like they rode a wave of westward urban expansion for a few years there: Balmoral and Ellice in 1904, Beverley St. in 1906, and Lipton St. in 1909. All three houses were within ~300 metres from Portage Avenue, which suggests to me the desirability of being close to good streetcar service at the time.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 9:32 PM

https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...uofm%3A2148205

I came across this article from 1934 on the tribune archives. Thought some of you might find it interesting. It's called "Razing Old Winnipeg Landmarks" and is talking about a rash of demolitions of prominent buildings in the mid 1930s due to economic downturns.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:47 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
https://digitalcollections.lib.umani...uofm%3A2148205

I came across this article from 1934 on the tribune archives. Thought some of you might find it interesting. It's called "Razing Old Winnipeg Landmarks" and is talking about a rash of demolitions of prominent buildings in the mid 1930s due to economic downturns.
Interesting - an unusually reflective article on that subject, for the time.

There is still one little piece of the old Hudson's Bay complex - an old garage tucked into the laneway between Main and Fort streets.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Easy to do back then with only two changes of clothes and virtually next to nothing for furniture. Nothing that plugged in yet either for the most part. No cars either. It's remarkable what's happened in a hundred years or so.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Interesting - an unusually reflective article on that subject, for the time.

There is still one little piece of the old Hudson's Bay complex - an old garage tucked into the laneway between Main and Fort streets.
O? u mean by VJ's

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Anyone know when the first Tim Hortons opened in Winnipeg? As a kid I only remember Robins and Coffee Time but not Tim’s. Not sure if they were around but my parents never went there.
I'm pretty sure I remember the one on north Main near Kingsbury being there in the 1980s. There might be a couple of others that date back that far as well.

The number of Tims locations in town really exploded over a decade starting around 1995 or so.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:32 PM

I think King St. and Notre Dame might have been the first.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I think King St. and Notre Dame might have been the first.
I think you're right.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 12:26 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

While looking for that photo of the CNCP building at P&M, I found this photo of the construction of the Trizec building, ca. 1974.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 8:22 PM

Is that 215 Garry under construction in the background too?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Based on the year of the photo I'd guess it's Le Chateau York (I thought it was called York Estate):
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=5025

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Yes it is, you can see the Parkade that’s part of the podium.

That’s the next large office tower that needs an exterior reclad.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Yes it is, you can see the Parkade that’s part of the podium.

That’s the next large office tower that needs an exterior reclad.
I stand corrected then. Built 1976:
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=6178

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I stand corrected then. Built 1976:
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=6178
Ricoh tower? That remain one of my favorite buildings in the city for shape and colour. What is wrong with it? I understand after 40 years facades and windows may need a redo. My only wish is that it were 7 - 12 floors taller.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 12:53 PM
BANNED

Any historical event is of great interest to me and I always want to know more about what events took place at that particular moment. I like to watch photos that reflect the sequence of historical changes. You may also be interested in reading about studies in the history here https://www.superiorpapers.com/term_paper.php. We must know and appreciate our history.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember the one on north Main near Kingsbury being there in the 1980s. There might be a couple of others that date back that far as well.

The number of Tims locations in town really exploded over a decade starting around 1995 or so.
There were so many Robin's Donuts back in the 80s/90s. They just could not compete with Tim Hortons, and their aggressive expansion into Western Canada in the early 2000s. Don't recall too much about Coffee Time, other than there was a location downtown off Graham Ave.

When did Starbucks first enter the Winnipeg market? Never cared for it. I always preferred Second Cup.

Slightly off topic, it was a shame that Athletes Wear closed shop around 2001. I recall when Athletes Wear 2 on Pembina and Grant opened in the late 80s. By the late 90s, there were four Athletes Wear locations in the city, with one in Brandon. I guess they expanded too quick. I also miss McNally-Robinson. They continue to operate their flagship store in Grant Park, as it opened in 1996. I recall Calgary having a location on Stephen Ave in downtown, but it went out of business in 2007.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:15 PM

^ As I recall the first Starbucks locations in Winnipeg opened in Chapters bookstores when they opened up here around 1998 or so. Before that there were only places that served Starbucks coffee even though they weren't Starbucks (university restaurants, the Silver City theatres, etc.). Then it was from about 2000-2005 that they opened their first wave of standalone locations across the city, as well as a bunch in Safeway stores.

Coffee Time was only ever a bit player in the local market back in the 90s before Tim's asserted dominance. Same with Country Style and Dunkin Donuts.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlubberMiley View Post
I also miss McNally-Robinson. They continue to operate their flagship store in Grant Park, as it opened in 1996. I recall Calgary having a location on Stephen Ave in downtown, but it went out of business in 2007.
McNally Robinson has a second store location in the Forks. It's a wonderful bookstore and seems to be quite popular in that location.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:24 PM

I have to admit my loyalty to McNally evaporated once they ditched Portage Place in favour of the ill fated Polo Park store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan