HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:01 PM

Initially, according to the route map:

Regina will have 3 non-stop flights to: Hamilton, Abbotsford and Kelowna.
Saskatoon will have 2 non-stop flights to: Hamilton and Abbotsford.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
Initially, according to the route map:

Regina will have 3 non-stop flights to: Hamilton, Abbotsford and Kelowna.
Saskatoon will have 2 non-stop flights to: Hamilton and Abbotsford.
I think you have theses switched. YXE has 3 destinations
https://t.co/ctZpux3WEI

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:10 PM
ConstructionPete

NewLeaf Travel today unveiled its seven-city route map across Canada with Regina and Saskatoon both becoming destination cities. Touted as “Canada’s new ultra-low-cost air travel company” NewLeaf will make stops at: • Abbotsford (B.C.) • Kelowna (B.C.) • Winnipeg (Man.) • Hamilton (Ont.) • Halifax (N.S.) “We want to spread the love to Canada’s smaller airports

http://thestarphoenix.com/storyline/...rry-on-baggage

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think you have theses switched. YXE has 3 destinations
https://t.co/ctZpux3WEI
If you look on the website, the line to Kelowna actually connects to YQR not YXE, not easy to see in that link though.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
If you look on the website, the line to Kelowna actually connects to YQR not YXE, not easy to see in that link though.
Ah right. It is a tweet of a photo of a photo. Great for YQR!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
What do you think will be the next announced new destination for YQR, or even expanded service within the domestic market? I'm surprised there are such few flights from Vancouver. I also wish we had a permanent flight to Ottawa or Montreal, or Halifax.
So Abbotsford, Kelowna and Hamilton it is! YAY!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 5:18 AM

Would love if somehow Porter could expand its routes to include Saskatchewan. Maybe they might have to choose another focus airport to launch the CSeries since the runway lengthening of Billy Bishop won't be happening. Maybe Billy to Hamilton or Ottawa on Q400 and then CSeries from Hamilton/Ottawa to rest of Canada?

When was the last time there actually were the former discount airlines serving Saskatchewan before they all went bankrupt (Canada 3000, Royal, Zip, Tango)?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 11:06 PM

A round-trip flight from YXE to YXX with NewLeaf is $178+carry on fee. Westjet is $160. The best thing about NewLeaf is no layover in Calgary or Edmonton.

NewLeaf is off to a great start. Hopefully they can make it work in the long run.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Would love if somehow Porter could expand its routes to include Saskatchewan. Maybe they might have to choose another focus airport to launch the CSeries since the runway lengthening of Billy Bishop won't be happening. Maybe Billy to Hamilton or Ottawa on Q400 and then CSeries from Hamilton/Ottawa to rest of Canada?

When was the last time there actually were the former discount airlines serving Saskatchewan before they all went bankrupt (Canada 3000, Royal, Zip, Tango)?
Tango was during the early 2000s; Zip was during 2003-0, both Air Canada. Now, it's Rouge. Jetsgo: early'02; Canada 3000 and Royal: later '90s to '02ish.

I would say that Porter would have to serve a niche market that's similar to NewLeaf in order to prosper. Hmmm.

Interesting times though.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrolling View Post
A round-trip flight from YXE to YXX with NewLeaf is $178+carry on fee. Westjet is $160. The best thing about NewLeaf is no layover in Calgary or Edmonton.
I was pricing out a trip from YQR to YXX for our summer vacation this year. For my family of four on NewLeaf it would be $720 round trip with no layover. On Westjet it was $1600 with layover in Calgary. Massive savings in both money and time.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan0myte View Post
I was pricing out a trip from YQR to YXX for our summer vacation this year. For my family of four on NewLeaf it would be $720 round trip with no layover. On Westjet it was $1600 with layover in Calgary. Massive savings in both money and time.
WestJet started a national seat sale of their own yesterday with some prices cheaper than NewLeaf's. I guess AC and WS are going to use their usual approach of beating the upstart's low prices until the upstart dies, then reverting to the usual duopoly pricing

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:24 PM
Heart of the Continent

Prices on flights within the country have definitely been tending down overall. Google flights is a wonderful tool to find the best fares.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:25 PM

Abbotsford is about 40+ miles from Vancouver - what are the transport options/costs of actually getting to Vancouver once you get to Abbotsford? Is there a bus or shuttle? Likewise, how easy is it to get back to Abbotsford for the return flight. I imagine cab fares would eat any advantage over airlines that fly right into Vancouver.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:27 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Abbotsford is about 40+ miles from Vancouver - what are the transport options/costs of actually getting to Vancouver once you get to Abbotsford? Is there a bus or shuttle? Likewise, how easy is it to get back to Abbotsford for the return flight. I imagine cab fares would eat any advantage over airlines that fly right into Vancouver.

The same goes for Hamilton. The airport is in the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Perhaps. Although if you're planning to rent a car during your stay then it's not a huge factor. Traffic is slow and heavy between dtown and yvr. Yxx to dtown is mostly on the transcanada. It can be heavy but people drive above the posted limit. I was thinking of going to Whistler and in the grand scheme of things the time is neglible.

I cannot speak to the bus, cab options.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:06 PM

Quote:
I would never take a taxi that far... it would be shuttle (assuming there is one), car rental or bust if headed to Vancouver. A smart traveler would price that out before booking and take that into account when considering options. Being a smaller centre, I'm sure car rental would be much pricier than at a big airport like YVR where you can rent quite cheaply.

I get the impression that a place like YXX is ill suited to someone who wants to be a tourist in Vancouver itself, as you're stuck with renting a car (which is a hassle once you're in central Van) or taking some inflexible and inconvenient shuttle option. Probably makes sense for just about anyone else, though.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I would never take a taxi that far... it would be shuttle (assuming there is one), car rental or bust if headed to Vancouver. A smart traveler would price that out before booking and take that into account when considering options. Being a smaller centre, I'm sure car rental would be much pricier than at a big airport like YVR where you can rent quite cheaply.

I get the impression that a place like YXX is ill suited to someone who wants to be a tourist in Vancouver itself, as you're stuck with renting a car (which is a hassle once you're in central Van) or taking some inflexible and inconvenient shuttle option. Probably makes sense for just about anyone else, though.
It may also work out for those travelling to the Island as there are flights to Nanaimo and Victoria out of YXX.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 7:56 PM

This link has an article on the airline as well as their flight schedule and prices. Looks like YXE flies Mondays and Fridays to Hamilton, abbotsford, and kelowna. While, YQR flies Thursday to Hamilton, Sunday to kelowna, and Mondays and Saturday to abbotsford. All flights are 89 dollars except the ones to Hamilton are 119 from both YXE and YQR. http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2016/01/n...dian-discount/

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

It all depends on where you are going. YXX is close that YVR for may in the eastern half of the lower mainland or the valley.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:24 AM

Does Air Transat not operate out of Regina anymore? I was just looking at arrivals and departures and all I see is a whole lot of Sunwing but no Air Transat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan