HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 12:06 AM

This is Refuel, a restaurant set to open in YXE Airport:

https://twitter.com/flyYXE

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkydivePilot View Post
I don't know how many of you guys frequent YXE; however, I'd sure like to meet the character who cut-off Wayne Hicks Lane with a part-time taxiway! That's a serious short-sighted brain fart on the part of the SAA.
I think the only way that works in the long run is if it is closed for good and becomes a full time taxiway. The taxiway can then extend south and you have general aviation on both sides with road access to the hangers from either Koyl Ave or that new road that runs parallel between Airport Road and the taxiway.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:44 PM

Missinippi Air adds flights from Flin Flon and The Pas to Saskatoon

CBC News, Feb 27, 2015

Missinippi Air has added new flights from Northern Manitoba to Saskatoon.

The flights from Flin Flon and The Pas will operate Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...toon-1.2975754

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 1:09 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think the only way that works in the long run is if it is closed for good and becomes a full time taxiway. The taxiway can then extend south and you have general aviation on both sides with road access to the hangers from either Koyl Ave or that new road that runs parallel between Airport Road and the taxiway.
I do believe (from memory looking at past annual reports), Wayne Hicks Lane will eventually be closed down as the long term plan indicated the land south of Wayne Hicks to 45th St and East of Airport driver to Koyl Ave will be used for hangar expansion and aviation business expansion with taxiway servicing that area if the need requires.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 1:10 AM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post

CBC News, Feb 27, 2015

The flights from Flin Flon and The Pas will operate Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

[........]

Read more:
News release from Missinippi Air found here.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2015, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
I do believe (from memory looking at past annual reports), Wayne Hicks Lane will eventually be closed down as the long term plan indicated the land south of Wayne Hicks to 45th St and East of Airport driver to Koyl Ave will be used for hangar expansion and aviation business expansion with taxiway servicing that area if the need requires.
That would explain it. Thank you.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 9:35 AM

New Security screening at yxe open

The New security screening area is open at yxe. You enter into a glassed off area past the restaurants by where the air side windows used to be. The windows are still there, just twice as big! And the screening area behind the glass? Huge! I thought I was at the wrong airport! What a change!

Now it will be interesting to see what becomes of the old screening area.

The transformation continues...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownRob View Post
The New security screening area is open at yxe. You enter into a glassed off area past the restaurants by where the air side windows used to be. The windows are still there, just twice as big! And the screening area behind the glass? Huge! I thought I was at the wrong airport! What a change!

Now it will be interesting to see what becomes of the old screening area.

The transformation continues...
Thanks for the tip! Found pictures of it on their facebook page. Beautiful!

https://www.facebook.com/YXEairport#!/YXEairport

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 3:47 PM
Hmm....

Based on all the pics I've seen throughout this thread, definitely have to give a big thumbs up to the Saskatoon airport expansion. Very well done.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 5:56 PM

I was through there a couple days ago, it looks fantastic! Regina has some serious challenges ahead if it wants to rival this. Moreover, YXE is easily expandable to the NE as well and 'has a future contingency plan for when it is required.

Also, the preboarding security area is currently being relocated as we speak.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 12:18 AM

Really impresses with Saskatoon airport It has a big city look . Sure making us Regina folk really jealous dammit you Saskatoon folk showing us up we will getcha just you wait lol jk . this airport really showcases our province and would be really impressive to people that never been here before .

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macblaze View Post
Really impresses with Saskatoon airport It has a big city look . Sure making us Regina folk really jealous dammit you Saskatoon folk showing us up we will getcha just you wait lol jk . this airport really showcases our province and would be really impressive to people that never been here before .
What I find very nice about the design is the wood. I was sceptical with would look out of place, bit it turned to be a very nice touch. Better that Toronto Terminal 1.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 5:52 AM

Quote:
I was through there a couple days ago, it looks fantastic! Regina has some serious challenges ahead if it wants to rival this. Moreover, YXE is easily expandable to the NE as well and 'has a future contingency plan for when it is required.

Also, the preboarding security area is currently being relocated as we speak.
I agree about further expansion. It is so obvious from the existing new design. They would just add another wing to the north that mirrors the new one to the southwest, and have an instant 40% increase in gate capacity. The new security area can easily handle that much volume. In fact, I bet it could handle double the pax that it is now based on what I've seen in much larger airports.

The one thing that does fascinate me about yxe is that at its very heart it is still the same basic layout that it had in the 1960's. Through 3 or 4 major expansions the ticket counters are still on the right with seating, gates, luggage on the left side, and a place for waiting non-travelling guests to still see all of the planes on the tarmac in the centre. They have stayed true to that concept for fifty years now and it has made for a very beautiful and unique airport.

I remember watching my dad leave and arrive on the AC DC-9's in the sixties. With my nose up against the glass I could sometimes spot him sitting behind one of the windows on the plane. (I always remember the little plastic planes the counter staff would give to us kids for free! Red DC-9s and Blue DC-8s - man I loved those things!) And then waiting for him to appear at the wheeled over stairs - who ever heard of an enclosed ramp back then?

And now you can still take your kids to watch the planes without going past security! In how many modern airports can you do that?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownRob View Post
I agree about further expansion. It is so obvious from the existing new design. They would just add another wing to the north that mirrors the new one to the southwest, and have an instant 40% increase in gate capacity. The new security area can easily handle that much volume. In fact, I bet it could handle double the pax that it is now based on what I've seen in much larger airports.

The one thing that does fascinate me about yxe is that at its very heart it is still the same basic layout that it had in the 1960's. Through 3 or 4 major expansions the ticket counters are still on the right with seating, gates, luggage on the left side, and a place for waiting non-travelling guests to still see all of the planes on the tarmac in the centre. They have stayed true to that concept for fifty years now and it has made for a very beautiful and unique airport.

I remember watching my dad leave and arrive on the AC DC-9's in the sixties. With my nose up against the glass I could sometimes spot him sitting behind one of the windows on the plane. (I always remember the little plastic planes the counter staff would give to us kids for free! Red DC-9s and Blue DC-8s - man I loved those things!) And then waiting for him to appear at the wheeled over stairs - who ever heard of an enclosed ramp back then?

And now you can still take your kids to watch the planes without going past security! In how many modern airports can you do that?
Hahaha!!!! Lol!!! I still have a couple of those little Air Canada promo DC-9s as well! Yup, there were DC-8s, and as well, L-1011s and '747s. (They came in red, white and blue.) They also came as a prize in cereal boxes as well. (I was very small at the time.)

My grandpa took me to the Regina Airport as well when one could observe aircraft willy nilly from the roof of the terminal building which had a 'balcony' for the entire length of the terminal. Shortly thereafter, that all went to hell due to security 'n that. That is great that there is a comeback of those times.

The plan for YXE is to have another pier with a rotunda at the other end which would be identical to the pre-existing one. By then, I'd say, 14 jetways?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 8:45 PM
ConstructionPete

Quote:
Hahaha!!!! Lol!!! I still have a couple of those little Air Canada promo DC-9s as well! Yup, there were DC-8s, and as well, L-1011s and '747s. (They came in red, white and blue.) They also came as a prize in cereal boxes as well. (I was very small at the time.)

The plan for YXE is to have another pier with a rotunda at the other end which would be identical to the pre-existing one. By then, I'd say, 14 jetways?
I'd say that's probably another 10-15 years down the road at consistent growth rates - The initial design was always developed based on that premises - that further mirrored expansion could be done with less direct impact on terminal operations.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2015, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
I'd say that's probably another 10-15 years down the road at consistent growth rates - The initial design was always developed based on that premises - that further mirrored expansion could be done with less direct impact on terminal operations.
Ya, that would be the ideal way to expand; knock down the partition wall --- boom --- done.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 8:33 PM

New security area up and running at Saskatoon airport

New lounge, restaurant, coffee shops included in multi-stage expansion

Reported by Kurtis Doering, NewsTalk 650 CKOM

Mar 9, 2015

Frequent flyers will notice some changes at the Saskatoon International Airport following the opening of a new expansion.

On March 4, a new passenger screening area went into operation. Located at the back of the check-in area past the Tim Hortons, the new screening point moves the often lengthy queue from the centre of the airport to a larger area encased by glass.

[........]

Read more:
http://ckom.com/story/new-security-a...airport/540267

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post

CBC News, Feb 27, 2015

[........]

Read more:
Not one passenger has flown or merely booked a flight on this route as-of-yet.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 6:16 PM

With the northern dam work coming up north of The Pas, these flights will likely be required in the future for camp workers.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmmace View Post
With the northern dam work coming up north of The Pas, these flights will likely be required in the future for camp workers.
Missinippi tried this route before (2X). Both previous attempts ended up all-for-naught.

Hopefully they will succeed this time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan