HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:15 AM

Soft opening for @larkwpg Exchange District bakery at 91 Albert St.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0gEt7MAlh9/

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:48 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wish em luck cant wait to try em next time im in town

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:22 AM

^^^ hopefully Lark Exchange expands hours after soft opening as they are only 8am-5pm Mon - Fri right now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
is that code word for something? or are you are modern day Voyageur?
Bill Worb on Ross Street is an incredible store from another time...

There are stacks of pelts, furs and leather. Many people buy material there for making traditional footwear and hats. It does feel like a depot from upper Fort Garry. It’s an amazing spot to see old Winnipeg before it’s gone forever...

And yes you can buy beautiful beaver pelts, seal, wolf and fox.

The whole country was built on this trade and supports countless northern people to this day...

Try and find time to walk in. It’s a historical education for sure...

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 1:23 PM
What could go wrong?

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 8:36 PM

Gregg Building 52 Albert Street

https://twitter.com/HeritageWPG/stat...498560002?s=20

Revitalization is a big yes in our book! Learn all about the history of the Gregg Building (52 Albert Street) and the plans for it to be a mixed-use space in our NEW BLOG:http://heritagewinnipeg.blogspot.com...son-gregg.html

Quote:
The building unfortunately sat empty for over a decade until Knysh Construction recently purchased the building with the intention of redeveloping it into commercial and residential space.

Back in June, Jay Knysh, the Gregg Building's new owner, kindly took time from his day to show Heritage Winnipeg Students how renovations were coming along. At that time Knysh and his crew were primarily focused on cleaning the accumulated debris in the building to prepare for more substantial work.

Knysh is a practical man, which is what you would expect from an engineer. From the tour's beginning to its end, he pointed out what needed fixing, what needed replacing, and what was not up to code. He knows new does not always equal good. What works, and is safe to re-use should be kept, helping to minimize waste. Weathered floor boards are being sanded, refurbished, and put back in place. Anything from the old spa on the second floor that can be kept, will be. The elevator will have to be replaced, however, as it is not up to current building code.

Kynsh likes being an engineer, but sometimes envies architects. Architects are free to think creatively, to dream up buildings that will capture the eyes of every passer-by. This creative freedom is not shared with engineers. Their creativity is limited to solving practical problems, and in Knysh's case, structural problems. A desire to enjoy the creative freedom architects enjoy is partly why Kynsh bought the Gregg Building. Renovating it gives Knysh and his crew the chance to be creative. They will decide what the Gregg will look like when it is reopened.

Kynsh's creative control has not dampened his ability to listen. In fact the opposite is the case. Through renovating the Gregg Building, Kynsh has been listening to anyone willing to give advise or ideas, including Heritage Winnipeg. During the tour, he asked what we thought should be done with each floor, starting with the first.

The tour began on the main floor, which will remain as commercial space when the Gregg Building reopens, though it is still undecided what should go there. The stairwells on the east and west ends of the building, and a room in the building's rear (i.e. the west side) are the only other rooms on the main floor; otherwise it is open space. It is easy to imagine the space as a dance studio. Kynsh says a few people have suggested the idea.Unfortunately, he pointed out that the pillars holding up the floors above are obstacles to that idea (you can't exactly dance when you constantly worried that you'll smack into a pole). Furthermore, most dance studios are not furnished with a vault. Protruding slightly inward along the centre on the southern side of the Gregg is a vault that has been built into the building. The vault's how Vault Hair: Salon and Aesthetics got its name, and the space was previously an open coffee bar.

From there, Knysh led us to the second floor, which, like the main floor, will be commercial space when the Gregg is re-opened. A wall running east to west, separates the floor into a north and south side. The north side is empty, awaiting renovation; however, on the south side the Vault Hair Spa remains almost entirely intact, as if the previous tenants left only a few weeks ago. There are stained glass windows, tile floors, carpets, washrooms, change rooms, showers, and even a sauna. Knysh wants to keep whatever he can, but that may be difficult. The rooms are stunning to see, but much of the equipment needs repairing, and if he wants to re-open the spa, he'll have to find someone willing to buy and run it.

Then there's floors three, four, and five. Except for the stairwells on the east and west sides, these floors are wide open, but that will change. Knysh hopes to convert them into residential space. Floors three and four will be divided into 6 units each (approximately 1100 square feet). The fifth floor, however, will be reserved for the big spenders. It will be converted in 4 units (approximately 1500 square feet) and serve as the Gregg's penthouse apartments.

Finally Heritage Winnipeg was lucky enough to stand on the rooftop of the Gregg Building. From it, you can see all the heritage buildings lining Albert Street, and even a few buildings down on Arthur Street.

Knysh hopes to use the rooftop as a rooftop terrace to hold social events. With his permission, Heritage Winnipeg is hosting a roof-top tour for the lucky tenants of 201 Portage in August. Hopefully, other events will follow in the years to come.

Creative freedom and business partly drove Knysh to purchase the Gregg, but giving back to the community influenced his decision as well. Like many Winnipeggers, Knysh is pleased that the Exchange District is still around to enjoy, and he is thankful to Heritage Winnipeg for all our work advocating for its preservation. He hopes fixing up the Gregg can be his contribution to the continued vitality of the Exchange District. Heritage Winnipeg is grateful to Jay Knysh and his crew from Knysh Construction for all the hard work they are doing. Their commitment and handiwork shows what the right owners can do with our built heritage.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:21 PM
surely you agree with me

That's great news.

cafe looks awesome too.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:08 PM

Alexander Docks

We have seen no update on a plan to move forward with the redevelopment of the Alexander Docks. While two new developments on Pacific / Alexander / Galt are working their way through the planning and Building Department, the City, CV and / or FNP have provided us with no update. This is an important infrastructure that is a key component in the Water Front North rehabilitation.

The stakeholders would love an update...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
We have seen no update on a plan to move forward with the redevelopment of the Alexander Docks. While two new developments on Pacific / Alexander / Galt are working their way through the planning and Building Department, the City, CV and / or FNP have provided us with no update. This is an important infrastructure that is a key component in the Water Front North rehabilitation.

The stakeholders would love an update...
From what I've heard, the main issue is that FNP doesn't have the resources to take this on right now – this is part of the reason they're trying to divest their North Portage assets. The plan was once that happens, they become a Forks and Riverfront development corp. So you can blame the feds for the next 30 days lol. They already reluctantly took on the maintenance of UFG with no added resources, essentially being dumped on them as no other involved party said they would do it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 4:38 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
From what I've heard, the main issue is that FNP doesn't have the resources to take this on right now – this is part of the reason they're trying to divest their North Portage assets. The plan was once that happens, they become a Forks and Riverfront development corp. So you can blame the feds for the next 30 days lol. They already reluctantly took on the maintenance of UFG with no added resources, essentially being dumped on them as no other involved party said they would do it.
But UFG is a provincial park...…. Isn't that the responsibility of the province? Why the hell should FNP have anything to do with it?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
[FNP] already reluctantly took on the maintenance of UFG with no added resources, essentially being dumped on them as no other involved party said they would do it.
Really?! That's not at all surprising, but still remarkable.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
But UFG is a provincial park...…. Isn't that the responsibility of the province? Why the hell should FNP have anything to do with it?
I can't remember the exact reasoning, but yeah – FNP was deemed responsible for maintenance. Essentially they "asked" them in a stern "telling" way. IIRC had something to do with the province's funding agreement, that they didn't want to maintain it or something. I believe part of the deal was that FUFG would take care of the park, because they'd eventually have the interpretive centre there and staff... obviously there is no interpretive centre now, and FUFG has no resources.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Well that’s quite unfair to FNP...

I too thought it was a Provincal Park and would be the Province’s responsibility.

Are they at least taking the income from “the temporary gravel parking lot” to offset the maintenance of the park or are The Friends or Upper Fort Garry setting that income aside for a future interpretive centre?

Everyone is attempting to milk FNP.

I find them very well run with an excellent record of delivering animated programming and user experiences on many levels. They are the rightful custodians of Alexander Docks and all future riverfront development all the way to the tip of Point Douglas in my opinion.

I hope they can find the funding to move forward. They definitely have my support.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 11:01 PM

Well the parking lot revenue was intended to partially fund the centre. Believe FUFG is technically the owner but don't quote me on that. Who knows if the centre is actually still happening. Certainly haven't seen any fundraising campaign yet...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Well the parking lot revenue was intended to partially fund the centre. Believe FUFG is technically the owner but don't quote me on that. Who knows if the centre is actually still happening. Certainly haven't seen any fundraising campaign yet...
If they located the Métis centre on that site they just scored a few million in federal dollars.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:43 PM

Looks like work has started back in earnest on the pumping station project after a bit of a pause. Workers out there pouring/spreading concrete on the 3rd floor at 6:30 this morning.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:04 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
Looks like work has started back in earnest on the pumping station project after a bit of a pause. Workers out there pouring/spreading concrete on the 3rd floor at 6:30 this morning.
Yeah I drove by last night and noticed a bunch of workers on site
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 8:57 AM

Quote:
'Rock-solid' reincarnation
117-year-old Gregg Building has a new owner, soon a new lease on life
Solomon Israel, Photography by Mike Deal
Posted: 08/12/2019 3:00 AM

The Gregg Building, a 117-year-old Exchange District warehouse that has sat empty for years, will be reborn sometime in the 2020s as a mixed commercial-residential space.

"The building itself is rock-solid, and I think there’s potential there," said Jay Knysh, owner of Winnipeg’s Knysh Construction, who bought the designated heritage building at 52 Albert St. earlier this year.

Land title records show the property changed hands for $885,000. The four-storey Romanesque-revival warehouse was designed by architect James H. Cadham for silk importer G.R. Gregg and Company. The brick structure was built in 1902, with a fifth storey added in 1922.

Knysh estimates the redevelopment project will take three years. Workers are currently cleaning up the building’s interior, reclaiming as much original material as they can.

Knysh plans to convert the third, fourth and fifth floors of the building into mid-market rental apartments, perhaps ranging between 750 square feet and 1,400 square feet in size. That might work out to four, six or eight units per floor.

"I certainly want them to be beautiful," Knysh said.

"I want the quality to be something that I would live in myself, and I may in fact (do so). But we also want to make it affordable for the community and for the area."

Knysh plans to maintain the commercial space on the Gregg Building’s ground floor, which was previously home to the Vault Salon and Spa. The second floor — which still holds a mostly intact day spa complete with a sauna and treatment rooms — could remain as commercial space or become more apartments, depending on demand.

Especially enticing to Knysh is the building’s original passenger elevator. It’s too small to meet modern building codes, but he’d like to remove it and put it on display in appreciation of "the old ways of how things work."

"It’s not just a square box, it’s got shape and contour and just... it’s got a personality," said Knysh of the manually operated lift.

The Gregg Building is also home to two vaults. The wall of the ground-level vault was reimagined as a brick-arched coffee bar during the building’s salon era, Knysh said, but he has yet to discover what’s sealed in the basement vault.

Knysh’s redevelopment plan for the Gregg Building has the full support of local non-profit Heritage Winnipeg, said executive director Cindy Tugwell, who expects the redevelopment to help reinvigorate Albert Street.

"And someone like Jay (Knysh) is exactly who we want to own this building, because he wants to do the right thing — he’s got to make some money, I mean, everybody does if they’re going to make a go of the building — but he wants to be part of the community, wants to work with Heritage Winnipeg, wants to work with the city," Tugwell said.

The Gregg Building and the neighbouring Royal Albert Hotel both deteriorated under the previous ownership of Winnipeg businessman Daren Jorgenson, Tugwell added. The Gregg Building’s next owner, who lived in British Columbia, gutted the building’s interior but didn’t engage with the Exchange District community, according to Tugwell.

"I think there’s a difference between owning a building and putting your blood, sweat and tears into it... Heritage buildings, especially in a national historic site, should not be treated just as regular real estate," she said.

Knysh wants Winnipeggers to know that the Gregg Building is more than just a property to him.

"I care about the Exchange, and I care about the architecture and the heritage of this building, enough so that I wanted to put my money where my mouth was, and put some energy into it and literally put some passion into it," Knysh said.

"Being local, I’m proud of that… When it’s all said and done, I want to look back on it and just be very proud of what we’ve done."
solomon.israel@freepress.mb.ca
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/mu...535844712.html

The new owner of the Gregg Building has the full support of Heritage Winnipeg. Jay Knysh ‘is exactly who we want to own the building,‘ said executive director Cindy Tugwell.

The interior of the Gregg Building.

An abandoned day spa sits intact on the second floor of the Gregg Building.

The vault on the first floor of the Gregg Building.

An antique passenger elevator inside the Gregg Building, which new owner Jay Knysh would like to preserve and put on display.

A detail on the gate of the old passenger elevator.

Antique metal ceiling trim inside the Gregg Building.

An interior staircase in the Gregg Building, which is being cleaned by workers before redevelopment begins.

Windows with stained glass detailing were left behind by a previous tenant.

A worker cleans the interior of the Gregg Building.

Vault door that has been modified to be used as a regular door.

One of the murals sitting on the rooftop of the Gregg Building, being dwarfed by some of the taller downtown buildings.

Murals adorn the structures on the Gregg Building rooftop.

Part of the downtown skyline serves as a backdrop to the Gregg Building rooftop murals.

Some of the brickwork is in need of reparations.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:35 PM

Wow, they’ve done an awesome job with the bakery.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

The new owner of the Gregg Building has the full support of Heritage Winnipeg. Jay Knysh ‘is exactly who we want to own the building,‘ said executive director Cindy Tugwell.

The interior of the Gregg Building.

An abandoned day spa sits intact on the second floor of the Gregg Building.

The vault on the first floor of the Gregg Building.

An antique passenger elevator inside the Gregg Building, which new owner Jay Knysh would like to preserve and put on display.

A detail on the gate of the old passenger elevator.

Antique metal ceiling trim inside the Gregg Building.

An interior staircase in the Gregg Building, which is being cleaned by workers before redevelopment begins.

Windows with stained glass detailing were left behind by a previous tenant.

A worker cleans the interior of the Gregg Building.

Vault door that has been modified to be used as a regular door.

One of the murals sitting on the rooftop of the Gregg Building, being dwarfed by some of the taller downtown buildings.

Murals adorn the structures on the Gregg Building rooftop.

Part of the downtown skyline serves as a backdrop to the Gregg Building rooftop murals.

Some of the brickwork is in need of reparations.

Sounds like they are contemplating a Pollard-style revamp. What are the chances the two neighbours on the street will be inspired to do likewise?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan