HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Museum Plaza in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Louisville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 1:07 PM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleystreetindustry View Post
a very risky and akward looking of a building that is of a bold design. im glad to see some architect out there that has the balls to experiment.
This may be more of a stupid or obvious question than I realize, but who is the architect?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondson View Post
I hate the design. Absolutely detest it. It's butt ugly. Nevertheless, it's got some decent height involved, and in that respect it's nice to see there are some progressive thinkers in Louisville. Need to send some of them up to Cincinnati. This town desperately needs a new tallest.
cincinnati needs to control their crime rates and keep from losing to northern kentucky and their ohio suburbs first...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
cincinnati needs to control their crime rates and keep from losing to northern kentucky and their ohio suburbs first...
Perhaps what Cincinnati really should do is form a unified government with Hamilton County, the way Jefferson County did with Louisville. But I digress. Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with what you said, but this is a skyscraper-related forum, so I'm not going to comment about the myriad of issues facing the city. Suffice it to say I'm not a die-hard Cincinnati fan, despite my status as a native. Oh how I wish I could get away from this snail-paced town.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
This may be more of a stupid or obvious question than I realize, but who is the architect?
a 4 year old...oh man...its horrid...i dont know what you guys see in it

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
They see a new tallest and pretty much "have" to embrace it or risk not getting anything. The underlying tone being that they wish it hadn't been quite so weird but will take what they can get.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 11:23 PM

As a Louisvillian I can say at first I didn't really like it at all. Then the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Yeah, it is essentially a bunch of boxes stacked on top of each other, but I'd take that over those individual boxes being seperated any day. It distinguishes Louisville from other cities of the same size with similar skylines. With all the new development going on, I wouldn't count it on sticking out so much in the future.

Over at skyscrapercity Eweezerinc posted this picture that he created that shows the new skyline with Museum Plaza, the arena, and the newly announced Iron quarter (buildings with green and red lights). Doesn't look too bad.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:46 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek loves SD View Post
no really, come on, who's the architect?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
As a Louisvillian I can say at first I didn't really like it at all. Then the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. Yeah, it is essentially a bunch of boxes stacked on top of each other, but I'd take that over those individual boxes being seperated any day. It distinguishes Louisville from other cities of the same size with similar skylines. With all the new development going on, I wouldn't count it on sticking out so much in the future.

Over at skyscrapercity Eweezerinc posted this picture that he created that shows the new skyline with Museum Plaza, the arena, and the newly announced Iron quarter (buildings with green and red lights). Doesn't look too bad.
Maybe not too bad at night...but c'mon. You guys would take an ocean liner stood on its end if it meant a new tallest.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
Maybe not too bad at night...but c'mon. You guys would take an ocean liner stood on its end if it meant a new tallest.
You are actually way off here. Louisville is an eccentric place, at least in the old city limits. One would have to really know the city's architecture to know why this building fits. There are some people here who hate it, but most of the progressives love it. The criticism this building is receiving is the same we saw for the Humana building and Kaden among others. Now, the community embraces different stuff like this. I personally love this building in any city with Louisville's skyline density or bigger. This same building would look great in Nashville, Jacksonville, OKC, or any similar sized city, plus mega cities like Chicago. I am glad we are getting it, because it will be unreal I must ask, have you been in a FREE sky museum in your city's tallest building? Have you ever ridden in a diagonal glass elevator? Didn't think so

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
Still cyber-converted fka

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
no really, come on, who's the architect?
Office for Metropolitan Architecture New York (Joshua Prince-Ramus)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppassafi View Post
You are actually way off here. Louisville is an eccentric place, at least in the old city limits. One would have to really know the city's architecture to know why this building fits. There are some people here who hate it, but most of the progressives love it. The criticism this building is receiving is the same we saw for the Humana building and Kaden among others. Now, the community embraces different stuff like this. I personally love this building in any city with Louisville's skyline density or bigger. This same building would look great in Nashville, Jacksonville, OKC, or any similar sized city, plus mega cities like Chicago. I am glad we are getting it, because it will be unreal I must ask, have you been in a FREE sky museum in your city's tallest building? Have you ever ridden in a diagonal glass elevator? Didn't think so
Nope. Never been in one. Probably would be a thrill. My point wasn't really on whether I like it or not. My opinion is totally irrelevant. My point is that I believe Louisville had this design thrust on them and that back in the beginning stages if the citizens themselves had some choices, they would not have picked that one. Now they/you are stuck with it and had better grow to love it. And it does look better at night.

I've seen Humana. My wife's aunt worked in that building for years until she retired. I don't know if she liked it or not. I'm not crazy about it.

I really like Aegon Tower. That one would look good out on our Buckhead skyline.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 10:09 PM

If it were up to the citizens of Louisville it might not have been chosen, that's why I'm glad us citizens really had no choice. Most of the time people don't know what the hell is good for them here. As an example, people think they should use the $1 million or so that goes towards Thunder Over Louisville (largest annual firework show in the USA) for charity, even though the event brings in over $31 million for the city. Projects like MP and events like Thunder will bring in the bucks that make it possible to help the less fortunate and make the city look better; which is why I still don't understand why Thunder isn't in the city's budget!. To contradict my first sentence, I would like to say that I didn't hear too much of an uproar once the plans were announced and most of the people I know (who could care less about buildings) liked it and/or thought it was "interesting" and good for the city. This building reflects the city's artsy and unique atmosphere, if it was totally irrelevant and had no ties to the ways of the community I'm sure the public would have definately made it known.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
Eurosceptic

tell me more about "Thunder Over Louisville"...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 6:32 PM

You can see more (although not as good) on Youtube or whatever. It would be nice if the "island" was open during Thunder, that would definately be one awesome view!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppassafi View Post
Hahaha thanks for this post. I love it too. I'm so excited that our city is getting it. As I mentioned in the Louisville Development Thread: it is a sterling example of form=function. It is a building that will house the largest contemporary art museum in Louisville. It will also house the Master's Program of art from the University of Louisville. So in other words, it's an architecturally defying building for a building built for art."

FOR ANY LOUISVILLE CITIZENS READING THIS:
Funny story: I've always detested Austin, Texas, for some reason. Maybe a little personal rival you could say. Anyways, I was kinda mad when I found out Austin's new tallest would be 1 meter taller than Museum Plaza at 214m (Austin's was 215m). I wrote a letter to the Museum Plaza representatives as well as Mayor Abramson informing them that we would be beat by a single meter to rival Austin. Walah...Museum Plaza announced expansion plans several months after that included an extra story!! Haha, so yes, credit ME! Ahh, I'm just kidding. It was very ironic that it happened however. GO LOUISVILLE!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:31 AM
TL;DR

I was recently in Louisville over the weekend driving back from Florida. I stopped to check out the Slugger museum, which seems to be only a block or two east of the site for this tower.

Will it be on Main Street? The architecture there is amazing, even if some of the windows are just painted plywood....

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:39 AM
Bombshell Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Office for Metropolitan Architecture New York (Joshua Prince-Ramus)
Prince-Ramus recently split off from OMA and is taking the project on under his new firm, REX NY. For anyone who's wondering, Prince-Ramus was also responsible for the Seattle Library and the new campus center at Illinois Institute of Technology. Both buildings are proof that Museum Plaza is going to be highly inventive with materials and spaces.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
....This building reflects the city's artsy and unique atmosphere....
Yes it does, and I think this is an important point outside observers miss, the genus loci in Louisville, and the urban culture there, has a very offbeat, open thing going on. I picked up on that even way back in the 1970s when I was living there, but its become stronger over time, or I notice it more having lived elsewhere.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Will it be on Main Street? The architecture there is amazing, even if some of the windows are just painted plywood
It will be between Main and the river. One of those old buildings on Main will be remodelled the entrance hall to the angled glass elevator (which in iteself is a funky way of getting up into the building).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2007, 2:26 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Dayton View Post
Yes it does, and I think this is an important point outside observers miss, the genus loci in Louisville, and the urban culture there, has a very offbeat, open thing going on. I picked up on that even way back in the 1970s when I was living there, but its become stronger over time, or I notice it more having lived elsewhere.
Can you elaborate on this, Geoff_in_Dayton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bw87a View Post
FOR ANY LOUISVILLE CITIZENS READING THIS:
Funny story: I've always detested Austin, Texas, for some reason. Maybe a little personal rival you could say. Anyways, I was kinda mad when I found out Austin's new tallest would be 1 meter taller than Museum Plaza at 214m (Austin's was 215m). I wrote a letter to the Museum Plaza representatives as well as Mayor Abramson informing them that we would be beat by a single meter to rival Austin. Walah...Museum Plaza announced expansion plans several months after that included an extra story!! Haha, so yes, credit ME! Ahh, I'm just kidding. It was very ironic that it happened however. GO LOUISVILLE!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects