HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 6:14 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
They should put the Grey Cup game on Rotation, each city gets it year after year. 9 years 9 different cities. And by the time it comes back to Regina, there is suppose to be what another 1500 hotel rooms? Maybe more? I feel Domes shouldn't be the factor. As we proved here in SSK (Although we may be the exception)
I think it's starting to get to that point. It's somewhat had an unofficial rotation over the last while, but I think the last few Grey Cups have really shown what a city/province/team have to gain out of hosting. It's also turned into a bit of a reward for fan-bases to get to host in their turn; celebrating the game/league in their own backyard kind of thing.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I think it's starting to get to that point. It's somewhat had an unofficial rotation over the last while, but I think the last few Grey Cups have really shown what a city/province/team have to gain out of hosting. It's also turned into a bit of a reward for fan-bases to get to host in their turn; celebrating the game/league in their own backyard kind of thing.
I'm not sure certain teams would like that system. BC and Toronto have historically hosted the game far more frequently than that and it provides a pretty good boost to their earnings when they do, so I'd see them protesting if they were forced to host the game as much as Hamilton or Ottawa.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:37 PM

The Grey Cup is rotated pretty regularly throughout the league... Toronto went 15 years between hosting (1992-2007) so it certainly doesn't dominate the way it used to when Varsity Stadium was practically the home of the Grey Cup. Even Vancouver really only hosted more than its share in the 80s when BC Place was still new and shiny. They're getting it more often now that BC Place is new and shiny again.

The only real quirk in the rotation is that the league has been very hesitant to award the game to markets where its success is less than a sure thing. Hamilton is closing in on 20 years without a Grey Cup in part due to the mess that the 1996 game was, although in fairness that was at a time when the CFL was at a very low ebb and in danger of collapsing altogether - not the best circumstances in which to market a Grey Cup.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The Grey Cup is rotated pretty regularly throughout the league... Toronto went 15 years between hosting (1992-2007) so it certainly doesn't dominate the way it used to when Varsity Stadium was practically the home of the Grey Cup. Even Vancouver really only hosted more than its share in the 80s when BC Place was still new and shiny. They're getting it more often now that BC Place is new and shiny again.

The only real quirk in the rotation is that the league has been very hesitant to award the game to markets where its success is less than a sure thing. Hamilton is closing in on 20 years without a Grey Cup in part due to the mess that the 1996 game was, although in fairness that was at a time when the CFL was at a very low ebb and in danger of collapsing altogether - not the best circumstances in which to market a Grey Cup.
There is really nothing stopping any city in the CFL from hosting the Grey Cup. All there has to be is the will to do it and the ability to do it. If a city wants to host the Grey Cup all they have to do is bid for it and demonstrate to the CFL that they can do it and if the ducks line up they will be awarded it. No city is gonna get it every year because the league does like to move it around a little. But back to back Grey Cups has happened on occasion in recent history, Vancouver hosted it in '86 & '87. And we are getting it again in 2014 after hosting it as recently as 2011, one of the benefits of having a good stadium. Since BC Place was built Vancouver has hosted more than it's fair share of Grey Cups, thats where the payoff comes.

While I don't know for certain if Hamilton has even bothered to bid for a Grey Cup since the last time they hosted it. They may have but other cities may have made more sense at the time. I would suspect the issue with Hamilton lies with that old barn they play in called Ivor Wynn which I'm sure many Hamiltonians are glad is now gone. And probably no desire on ownerships part to bring it up to something that could host the Grey Cup.

Regina won the Grey Cup this year because they were willing to crack a few eggs and spend some money to upgrade Mosiac Stadium. And showed they wanted it more than anywhere else at the time. The big knock against Regina was always the lack of hotel space, from what I understand that's improved quite a lot over the years. I would say that after hosting three successful Grey Cup's especially this years, along with a new stadium, it will look pretty good on Regina's resume for the future. You just might see the Grey Cup parade in downtown Regina a little more often than in the past. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Regina back at it and bidding for 2017.

Last edited by Dillweed; Nov 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:00 PM

I wouldn't bet on us bidding for the Grey Cup that soon. Gotta iron out the kinks in the new stadium first. And other CFL cities will want a turn to host as well. It might even be 2022 before we get the Grey Cup again, but that's simply the luck of the draw. However, the financial success of this year's Grey Cup should have the Riders well-positioned to make their initial payments towards the new stadium, so that's a plus.

As you said, Vancouver is hosting in 2014. After that, I would expect Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa to each receive a turn (maybe not in that order).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:09 PM

The owners will insist that the Grey Cup be spread around, and for good reason. The Riders will be profitable with or without the Cup, but for some franchises, hosting the Grey Cup is the ONLY way that they can turn a significant profit.

Surely the reason the Lions are getting more than their share of Grey Cups is to offset Braley's losses on the Argos...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
I wouldn't bet on us bidding for the Grey Cup that soon. Gotta iron out the kinks in the new stadium first. And other CFL cities will want a turn to host as well. It might even be 2022 before we get the Grey Cup again, but that's simply the luck of the draw. However, the financial success of this year's Grey Cup should have the Riders well-positioned to make their initial payments towards the new stadium, so that's a plus.

As you said, Vancouver is hosting in 2014. After that, I would expect Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa to each receive a turn (maybe not in that order).
There are a number of factors to consider when it comes time to award who gets what and when it comes to handing out Grey Cups. But it ultimately boils down to who wants it the most and who is gonna crack the most eggs to get it. As I said the league does it's best to rotate it as much as possible. My point is that Grey Cups don't get handed will nilly to any city, if you want to host the Grey Cup you have to bid for it and you have to spend some bucks to host it.

I don't know how far ahead the CFL is awarding Grey Cups. I know Winnipeg has been making some noise about hosting the Grey Cup in the near future they'll probably get in fairly soon considering they have a good stadium now. You're probably right 2017 might be a year to soon for Regina to host again. But I would say with a new stadium by then they would be fools not to bid by 2018. If they can talk the CFL into hosting the Grey Cup three times in Mosiac Stadium they can do it again by 2018.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The owners will insist that the Grey Cup be spread around, and for good reason. The Riders will be profitable with or without the Cup, but for some franchises, hosting the Grey Cup is the ONLY way that they can turn a significant profit.

Surely the reason the Lions are getting more than their share of Grey Cups is to offset Braley's losses on the Argos...
With a new TV deal kicking in next year I think that's going to be less of any issue going forward. The things Vancouver & Toronto have going for them are their size and the stadiums. I know one thing for sure is that considering the Big O in Montreal is practically condemned we likely won't be seeing to many Grey Cups in Montreal in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:38 PM
ARTchitecture

Damnit I just want a render! Just one! Is that too much to ask?!?!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
After that, I would expect Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa to each receive a turn (maybe not in that order).
That's what Dave Naylor suggested on Sunday (in that order).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:03 AM
Rational urbanist

To be realistic they'd probably toss a Vancouver or Toronto game in there as well somewhere. And then it'll have been a while for Alberta.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Damnit I just want a render! Just one! Is that too much to ask?!?!

Too much to ask? No. Too much to expect? Yes.

Don't expect to see any renderings until the successful proponent has been selected. The committee is going to have a difficult enough time dealing with all the second-guessing that is likely to come pouring out as soon as a selection is made. The last thing that they are going to want is a bunch of public debate on which stadium proposal is prettier prior to making a decision.

Not too mention that each proponent is going to want to guard their design, as much as is feasible, from the the other proponent teams that are working on a submission. Don't lose track of the fact that this is a very serious piece of business for those involved.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:21 PM

Naylor (and later Cohon himself) attached 2017 to Ottawa specifically because of Canada 150.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Naylor (and later Cohon himself) attached 2017 to Ottawa specifically because of Canada 150.
That makes sense, I would LOVE to go to that one. Heck I am going to Ottawa next summer to watch the Riders take on the Red Blacks, and will be happy with either team winning.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:20 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Where will the new stadium be built? The existing location of Taylor Field looks ideal.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Where will the new stadium be built? The existing location of Taylor Field looks ideal.
Directly to the west of Elphinstone, on the grounds of Evraz Place. Will make for a nice location. Will be nice to have Elphinstone be the bus drop-off area, and for it to be closed between Sask Dr and Dewdney for the games.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Is it under construction? Street View shows a large structure underway in one photo only.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:30 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Is it under construction? Street View shows a large structure underway in one photo only.
Construction is to start next year. They have started site-prep though; buildings have been demolished and they are starting to move utility lines and such.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you are looking at. Streetview there is at least 3 years old. The large white and yellow building (Grain Show Bldg.) on Elphinstone burned down several years ago.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:02 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Construction is to start next year. They have started site-prep though; buildings have been demolished and they are starting to move utility lines and such.
So are they going to be beginning heavy construction before the design is released to the public? That may be in the best interest of the businesses involved, but certainly not the best interest of the public. I was under the impression that they were going to release the renders this fall. Didn't the premier or mayor say that earlier this year?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan