HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:01 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
I agree that there will not be a change of height to where it would surpass the Weston, but if we are talking hypothethicals....it would only take 4-5; not 10.

If people are looking for perspective, take a look at the Bank of America building; it is listed at 387'.
Yeah, you're right. I just threw 10 floors out there. The old height that we've always seen for the Weston Centre is 444 feet, but I've been able to measure it taller than that using Google Earth - and I had always assumed it was taller than that height. The number I came up with in Google Earth was 455 feet. Now that we can see the building elevations for the Frost Bank Headquarters, we would know how many floors they would have needed to add to make it taller than the Weston Centre.

Floors 2 through 23 are 14 feet 3 inches slab to slab. Those are the normal office floors. Floor 24 is a bit higher - 15 feet 3 inches, which may in fact mean that it is a mechanical floor rather than an occupied office floor.

Anyway, the Weston Centre is 69 feet taller than the Frost Bank Headquarters, so you'd need 4.84210526 floors to at least match its height exactly. Rounding up to 5 floors would give you 71 feet 3 inches, and if you added that height to the Frost Bank Headquarters, you'd have 457 feet with 29 floors. So, it would need 29 floors to be taller than the Weston Centre, based on the normal office floors the building has now of 14 feet 3 inches.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; May 18, 2018 at 8:52 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 9:14 PM
Meh

Anyway, I love the building. You guys should be proud of it. San Antonio is getting a really nice building that I think will be one of the best looking ones in the state.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:56 AM

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 11:47 AM

Looks like another floor with get completed real soon.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Thank you! That was awesome.

So, according to that the heights are:

385 feet 9 inches (386 feet) to the top of the crown.

366 feet 3 inches to the top of the mechanical penthouse roof.

356 feet 10 inches to the elevator machine room.

346 feet 9 inches to the tower roof (this is the main roof).

331 feet 6 inches to level 24.

317 feet 3 inches to level 23.

-

One thing I did notice, is that we've been hearing/reading that the building will have 23 occupied floors, but these elevations show it with 24 floors under the roof. Surely, that must be an occupied office floor. I kind of doubt they'd need to dedicate a whole floor to mechanical equipment. One fear I have is that the building was originally planned with 24 floors, but that they eliminated it somewhere in design/development, which would make the building shorter by losing that floor. I guess we'll have to wait and see until after it tops out so we can count the floors. I think it's more likely that the media reported on 23 floors because that's what the architect/developer told them would be occupied office floors, and we've been assuming that any additional mechanical levels would have to be above the main roof, but that isn't always the case. They can be within the tower under the main roof. In fact, in taller buildings, there can be multiple mechanical levels within the building handling elevator transition floors, especially in mixed use buildings where the top floors are something like hotel or residential with office floors on the lower levels.

Even if the 24th floor is not an occupied space, I would say the building should be listed with 24 floors since that floor is contained under the main roof. It's not a mechanical penthouse (cab) that sticks up above the main roof, it's a whole floor just like the other ones are.
I think it's because there is no level 13. So it shows 24 but it's really the 23rd..

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:16 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm View Post
I think it's because there is no level 13. So it shows 24 but it's really the 23rd..
Either 24 is mechanical or they count the double-height lobby as one story, but there are 24 apparent floors in the renderings.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:34 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm View Post
Ah, you're right about that. I didn't think to check if they'd skipped the 13th floor since that's usually a custom with hotels and residential buildings. I would assume that it probably is just 23 floors then.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Either 24 is mechanical or they count the double-height lobby as one story, but there are 24 apparent floors in the renderings.
Wow. Never thought to look, but the elevations do NOT show a 13th floor - it skips from 12 to 14. BUT, there is a level 1.5 at 15'-8" aff. Level 2 begins at 32'-3" aff (!), so I guess it "essentially" is 24 floors. I don't think the 24th floor is a mechanical room, because they list "tower roof" above it and have 2 extra floors labeled as machine room and penthouse. Oh, and the HDRC presentation also included various floor plans including one labeled "Level 24 Tower Plan" which identifies it as "Lease High Rise" space.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 5:59 PM

Most high rises in San Antonio don’t have a 13th floor. (Superstitious Cu-Cuy)
There’s 23 actual floors but they’re numbered up to 24 by skipping 13.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 7:40 PM
JACKinBeantown

There are actually 24 floors, and they appear as follows:

1.5 (second floor of double-height lobby)

There is no 13th floor, but there is a floor called "1.5" to make up for it.
Sorry if this post seems odd. I just wanted the info to be as clear as possible and this is my solution.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 10:04 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
There are actually 24 floors, and they appear as follows:

1.5 (second floor of double-height lobby)

There is no 13th floor, but there is a floor called "1.5" to make up for it.
Sorry if this post seems odd. I just wanted the info to be as clear as possible and this is my solution.
I'm good with that if everyone else is.

Oddly enough, the Thompson Hotel & Residences will have a 13th floor according to the elevations.

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 10:51 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Thank you for your support, Kevin, as well as all the recent hard work you've done combing through San Antonio building files.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:27 AM

Let's call it by its proper term; the 1.5 floor is referred to as a mezzanine level (or floor). It's not really a second level or half floor. It's more like a barn-type balcony. The barn is one level, in sense, so think of it as that.

Old Posted May 19, 2018, 1:35 AM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Alright, alright. Is that how it is?

The entire crown of the Empire State Building (minus the very top) is an old metal staircase that goes straight up the shaft of the crown, which is otherwise kinda hollow and empty. It's just a shell and the turns in the staircase count as the floors.

I'm gonna cut this mezzanine some slack and give it the extra .5 because I'm sure its gonna try really hard to earn it.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:34 AM
James

The reflection on this picture though...

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 2:10 AM

just stunning, it's pictures like this that make the building look tall. That side of downtown is really coming together.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:29 PM
Meh

This was the application for the conceptual approval for the Frost Bank Headquarters. We've already seen this info, but there are a couple of nice aerials of downtown showing the site.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 3:33 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Is there any indication of retail tenants that are showing interest in leasing the retail portion? Is it too early for that right now?

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 4:39 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
Is there any indication of retail tenants that are showing interest in leasing the retail portion? Is it too early for that right now?
Hopefully a nice restaurant. Because, I mean... bankers. We don't give them our money and expect them to do nothing with it.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I would take any one of the following:

- Raising Canes
- Las Palapas
- Jim's Restaurant
- anything else that's local and reasonably priced - preferrably tacos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio