HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 2:09 PM

Yeah Champlain seems to be in a prime position for that sort of redevelopment. I hope Regent will eventually follow.

In some ways, they're saying Champlain needs to get back to its roots and bring back Crystal Palace (well not really for Champlain in particular but that's basically one of the things they are asking for)

For me personally, I don't shop much in general, but I do like to go to the malls; I just wish there was more to do there, besides the movies and food court (at Regent).

I worked/did coop terms in Ottawa in the early 2000's, and one of the things I loved to do was go to the arcade/lazer tag place in the basement area of St Laurent mall to hang out. I think that place got more of my Co-op money each term than any other store but maybe Toys R Us or the Food Courts. I'd love to see the return of proper arcades and other event attractions at the malls.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah Champlain seems to be in a prime position for that sort of redevelopment. I hope Regent will eventually follow.

In some ways, they're saying Champlain needs to get back to its roots and bring back Crystal Palace (well not really for Champlain in particular but that's basically one of the things they are asking for)

For me personally, I don't shop much in general, but I do like to go to the malls; I just wish there was more to do there, besides the movies and food court (at Regent).

I worked/did coop terms in Ottawa in the early 2000's, and one of the things I loved to do was go to the arcade/lazer tag place in the basement area of St Laurent mall to hang out. I think that place got more of my Co-op money each term than any other store but maybe Toys R Us or the Food Courts. I'd love to see the return of proper arcades and other event attractions at the malls.
Any kind of an announcement from CF regarding new development at Champlain Place would be great news.

I had never thought of housing geared towards seniors, but it does make perfect sense. Especially if it was connected to the mall somehow.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 11:13 PM

Speaking of something else than Champlain Place. What happened to our announced Land Rover & Jaguar dealership from the Steele Auto Group.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 12:13 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Speaking of something else than Champlain Place. What happened to our announced Land Rover & Jaguar dealership from the Steele Auto Group.
Delayed for a year (at least) due to COVID. Direct communication from an individual knowledgeable about the situation.

Unless things change, they still intend to open a new dealership soon.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 3:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sobering analysis from Retail Insider

Mass Bankruptcies and Store Closures Expected in Canada by Early 2021: Experts
https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...y-2021-experts

Quote:
"For many retailers, sadly, this will be their last holiday season. For those that were caught with outdated business models, weak balance sheets, less than exciting brands, short-term investors or near-sighted landlords the holiday will be their swan song,” said Bruce Winder, author of RETAIL Before, During & After COVID-19 and President of Bruce Winder Retail.

“Some will have a hard time securing inventory for the all-important fourth quarter with cash in short supply and credit tapped out. Faced with stingy consumers, fading government subsidies and in some cases mounting deferred rent due, liabilities will exceed assets and they will enter CCAA (protection from creditors) and in many cases liquidate. And what a liquidation it will be. Clearance will be everywhere putting pressure on any remaining retailers as many wind down operations in the fall and use December to generate cash from inventory blow-outs.
Quote:
John Moss, Senior Vice President of Retail Leasing and Investment for CBRE Limited in Calgary, said there will be a reckoning.

“Retailers will feel more significant hardship by the end of the year. With government programs expiring, including the provincial eviction moratorium, tenants will realize how weak their financial positions are. Sales will continue to be weak,” he said.

“Come Christmas holiday season, it is unlikely corporations will have company functions because of COVID. This will be detrimental to most hospitality tenants. Come the new year, retailers will liquidate any retail inventory and shut their doors because they can’t hold on anymore.”
Quote:
We’re going to see more bankruptcy filings. Some will be household name retailers. From there we’re going to see the December holiday shopping season which some retailers will look to hopefully recoup some losses and maybe keep operational. But depending on things like a second wave, we don’t know where that’s going to go. I think January of 2021 is going to be a blood bath. I think we’re going to see a substantial amount of store closures in Canada — probably the most we’ve seen in our lifetimes in such a short period of time.”
Translation: We ain't seen nothin' yet!!!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:03 PM

I have to admit, I've bought far more raw $ worth of non-food goods (electronics, clothing, footwear, sporting goods) on Amazon in the past year than in retail stores. By about a 10 to 1 margin, probably. And that all started pre-COVID19. I don't have time to go to stores. Especially when you go somewhere and they are sold out of the model you want (I'm lookin' at you, Best Buy) or the size you need (any article of clothing for a 5'10" man, grrr).

I was dubious but Prime is really amazing. I order things and it says "maybe a week" and then it shows up 2 days later. *shrug*

The days of puttering around the mall for half a day and killing time in the food court are basically over, I think. A lot of the time you come home with nothing but heartburn, sore feet, and couldn't find what you were looking for anyway. I don't so much feel bad for the companies as much as the retail workers. It was a thankless job even when it was "good".

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 6:21 PM

Second Cup Is Opening 14 New 'Non-Traditional' Stores In Canada Over The Next Year.

https://www.narcity.com/eat-drink/ca...medium=twitter

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I have to admit, I've bought far more raw $ worth of non-food goods (electronics, clothing, footwear, sporting goods) on Amazon in the past year than in retail stores. By about a 10 to 1 margin, probably. And that all started pre-COVID19. I don't have time to go to stores. Especially when you go somewhere and they are sold out of the model you want (I'm lookin' at you, Best Buy) or the size you need (any article of clothing for a 5'10" man, grrr).

I was dubious but Prime is really amazing. I order things and it says "maybe a week" and then it shows up 2 days later. *shrug*

The days of puttering around the mall for half a day and killing time in the food court are basically over, I think. A lot of the time you come home with nothing but heartburn, sore feet, and couldn't find what you were looking for anyway. I don't so much feel bad for the companies as much as the retail workers. It was a thankless job even when it was "good".
I too was skeptical of 'prime' but between the ordering and saving, the shipping, and throw in prime video and it's well worth it.

I don't go to the mall if I can avoid it, Covid created a TON more online shoppers and a lot of these stores need to get with the game.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From Retail Talk & Share:

Jump+ is busily renovating the old Suzy Shier location to allow for a move to a larger footprint.

Meanwhile, Suzy Shier has job adverts out on Indeed.com for a location in Dieppe, so it would seem reasonable to presume they are planning to reopen a new location elsewhere in CF Champlain.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Spirit Halloween is opening this year in the former Pier One location at Wheeler Park (August 28th). The usual spot in the Northwest Centre where Spirit Halloween usually operated their seasonal store is being renovated for a new TD Bank location.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Spirit Halloween is opening this year in the former Pier One location at Wheeler Park (August 28th). The usual spot in the Northwest Centre where Spirit Halloween usually operated their seasonal store is being renovated for a new TD Bank location.
Speaking of, I wonder what Halloween is going to look like this year. I've been seeing the big boxes of chocolate bars in the stores, but I can't really imagine trick or treating is going to happen to a great extent. More and more people decorate their houses for Halloween, so that might suit a chain like Spirit ok, but I don't know how the costume side of it is going to go.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 4:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Speaking of, I wonder what Halloween is going to look like this year. I've been seeing the big boxes of chocolate bars in the stores, but I can't really imagine trick or treating is going to happen to a great extent. More and more people decorate their houses for Halloween, so that might suit a chain like Spirit ok, but I don't know how the costume side of it is going to go.
I would be surprised if trick or treating were allowed this year too.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 8:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I stopped by Ren's Pets in the Champlain Plaza today to pick up some kibble for my cat.

I chatted up the cashier some about the large vacant space next door left by the departure of Skyzone, and she volunteered that she heard that a dollar store of some form was moving in. She wasn't sure which one.

This would be good news for Ren's Pets. They are way off by themselves in the plaza, and a new neighbour would help drive business for them. They will be infinitely better off with a dollar store for a neighbour than a trampoline park........

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 10:02 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
I stopped by Ren's Pets in the Champlain Plaza today to pick up some kibble for my cat.

I chatted up the cashier some about the large vacant space next door left by the departure of Skyzone, and she volunteered that she heard that a dollar store of some form was moving in. She wasn't sure which one.

This would be good news for Ren's Pets. They are way off by themselves in the plaza, and a new neighbour would help drive business for them. They will be infinitely better off with a dollar store for a neighbour than a trampoline park........
Someone had mentioned Great Canadian Dollar Store but I am hoping for something new to the area like "Your Dollar Store with More" or even better the first Dollar Tree in the Atlantic provinces. Only time will tell I suppose

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 10:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Someone had mentioned Great Canadian Dollar Store but I am hoping for something new to the area like "Your Dollar Store with More" or even better the first Dollar Tree in the Atlantic provinces. Only time will tell I suppose
I can definitely see Great Canadian Dollar Store as a leading candidate. They don't have that much market penetration in greater Moncton (far behind Dollarama), and their current location on Plaza Blvd is in a Plaza REIT property. Plaza may have made them a good offer to fill up space in the new wing of the Champlain Plaza.

As I said above, a dollar store here would help to drive business to Rens Pets, and would also help to fill up the other retail vacancies in that plaza.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:28 PM

I saw over on Retail Talk & Share NB, someone (who works at a store in the mall) said that they've heard from construction workers and another person that Suzy Shier is going in the former La Vie en Rose spot in CF Champlain. Which is interesting because wasn't Torrid suspected for that unit? Unless they are going into a different unit now (or maybe they've pulled out)?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 11:47 PM

Now confirmed. This is now posted next to the entrance gate into this unit.

(The photo is from Retail Talk & Share NB).

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 12:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
I saw over on Retail Talk & Share NB, someone (who works at a store in the mall) said that they've heard from construction workers and another person that Suzy Shier is going in the former La Vie en Rose spot in CF Champlain. Which is interesting because wasn't Torrid suspected for that unit? Unless they are going into a different unit now (or maybe they've pulled out)?
I'm of the (optimistic) opinion that most of the stores slated to open at CF Champlain this year (Torrid, Mountain Warehouse, Lush) still have plans for the city, it's just that they have been put on hold until the pandemic situation sorts itself out.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
I'm of the (optimistic) opinion that most of the stores slated to open at CF Champlain this year (Torrid, Mountain Warehouse, Lush) still have plans for the city, it's just that they have been put on hold until the pandemic situation sorts itself out.
When I went down to Halifax a couple weekends ago I ate at Five Guys in the Bayer’s lake Power Center I spoke to the staff and they assured me they are still planning a restaurant in Moncton. Their first priority is Saint John’s NF then it will be Moncton. COVID delayed the opening to at least 2021.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2020, 2:03 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
When I went down to Halifax a couple weekends ago I ate at Five Guys in the Bayer’s lake Power Center I spoke to the staff and they assured me they are still planning a restaurant in Moncton. Their first priority is Saint John’s NF then it will be Moncton. COVID delayed the opening to at least 2021.
Thanks for the info.

I would personally like to see this set up in the Granite Centre, but there are currently enough retail vacancies on the go that it could almost go anywhere (Champlain Plaza, Wheeler Park, even the Mapleton Centre)………..

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces