HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 7:02 PM

Love it! Street interaction, and tall, *thin* (no L-shaped) towers!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 10:26 PM

I like the proposal, but I'm having trouble imagining how Montreal Rd traffic/transit will cope if all the projects proposed for the area come to pass. Could get messy ...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I like the proposal, but I'm having trouble imagining how Montreal Rd traffic/transit will cope if all the projects proposed for the area come to pass. Could get messy ...
I agree. That's a lot of density for an area with unreliable urban bus routes. This might force the city's hand and force them to plan s subway for the area (within 10-20 years).

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:13 AM

That looks pretty good.. But is it allowed?! I thought Roderick Lahey had an exclusive contract to build out the city with subtle variations of the same gray brick design tower...

Last edited by Harley613; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:43 AM. Reason: changed 'suburbs' to 'city'

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
That looks pretty good.. But is it allowed?! I thought Roderick Lahey had an exclusive contract to build out the suburbs with subtle variations of the same gray brick design tower...
“Suburbs”? I am again reminded of my gaff years ago wrt the Glebe ....

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Aug 13, 2020 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
“Suburbs”? I am again reminded of my gaff years ago wrt the Globe ....
Ahh yeah Eastview is not in the suburbs, good point. Still don't think it's right to have good architecture in Ottawa when we could have more Lahey...

Last edited by Harley613; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:43 AM. Reason: Changed 'Elmvale' to 'Eastview'

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Ahh yeah Elmvale is not in the suburbs, good point. Still don't think it's right to have good architecture in Ottawa when we could have more Lahey...
You may be confusing Elmvale with Eastview. This proposal is directly after Sandy Hill once you cross the Cummings bridge.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzo_613 View Post
You may be confusing Elmvale with Eastview. This proposal is directly after Sandy Hill once you cross the Cummings bridge.
I guess I'm just all around confused tonight haha! I had a long day.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I agree. That's a lot of density for an area with unreliable urban bus routes. This might force the city's hand and force them to plan s subway for the area (within 10-20 years).
The city would rather work with the developer to relocate their project to Kanata North Business Park than do anything to improve transit in Vanier.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The city would rather work with the developer to relocate their project to Kanata North Business Park than do anything to improve transit in Vanier.
Even better, to build outside the urban transit district where we have been moving thousands of jobs recently. That is part of our improved transit, cycling and pedestrian plan. Build where there is none.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 11:59 PM

I think this is a great development for this part of the neighbourhood, and can be a great gateway between downtown and Vanier.

I think they could have integrated the podium a little better with the towers, currently they seem a little disjointed in terms of scale and design language.

I appreciate that they've added the murals instead of having blank walls as well as the little parks at the corners, but I just feel like it's missing something for me.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Only slightly off-topic... Chris Warden, Senior Associate at MTBA (authors of the heritage report on the Eastview Plaza) also has a website devoted to Ottawa's modern architecture:

https://www.capitalmodern.ca/

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Only slightly off-topic... Chris Warden, Senior Associate at MTBA (authors of the heritage report on the Eastview Plaza) also has a website devoted to Ottawa's modern architecture:

https://www.capitalmodern.ca/
Thanks for that! I'll add it to my favourites.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 6:43 PM

This is a great proposal. Anybody else think it's a bit weird though that this part of Vanier will get a second grocery store just a stone's throw away from the Loblaws? That's better service levels than we have in centretown if it ends up happening.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
This is a great proposal. Anybody else think it's a bit weird though that this part of Vanier will get a second grocery store just a stone's throw away from the Loblaws? That's better service levels than we have in centretown if it ends up happening.
This grocery store is likely just a relocation of the existing tenant - the Green Fresh Supermarket.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
This grocery store is likely just a relocation of the existing tenant - the Green Fresh Supermarket.
Ah. That makes sense. I never thought I'd be jealous of Vanier as a centretown resident.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
I hope so. That plaza has a good mix of retail that seems appreciated by the locals. M+M could potential teach a thing or two about decency, design and quality to greedy Ottawa developers.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I hope so. That plaza has a good mix of retail that seems appreciated by the locals. M+M could potential teach a thing or two about decency, design and quality to greedy Ottawa developers.
O, I didn't realize this was the same developer as 400 Albert (main + main)... that makes sense... the architecture and planning of both proposals is a step above most Ottawa projects.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 1:27 PM

I love the materials selection, to place natural colour brick at the podium level like that, it's so unlike Ottawa that perhaps its a bit tough to look at right now? Lahey has us all shook up over grey concrete block-looking brick.

I'm a bit concerned about the canyon down the centre, and what that's going to look like? Is there going to be business entrances, or is it just traffic lanes to the parking garage? How do you animate that space? Otherwise, from the exterior, it looks great! Perfect scale for the corner, respecting the corners so as not to feel claustrophobic, allowing for the Green Fresh to come back in.

Traffic issues? Please, there's literally thousands of cars per day, adding a couple hundred spread over the developments here will contribute to density, I'm sure, but traffic? Vanier Parkway surely has capacity. Not sure about Rideau-Montreal, but if the City manages to continue to keep the portion at the Rideau Centre closed, traffic should stay light. And finally Unihunaun can get his wish of more transit, given the increased density.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Not sure about Rideau-Montreal, but if the City manages to continue to keep the portion at the Rideau Centre closed, traffic should stay light.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't part of the purpose of the Rideau Street overhaul at the Rideau Centre specifically to make it better-designed to accommodate both through-traffic and transit? Hence the dedicated layup lanes for buses in the design? The renderings released by the city certainly make it seem that re-opening to vehicle traffic is in the cards:
https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...nderedPlan.pdf

Not that I think it will impact traffic TOO significantly on Montreal Road in Vanier either way, though; a lot of the rerouted traffic that would use that stretch of Rideau just clogs up the Market and ultimately finds its way back onto the Rideau-Montreal corridor anyway, doesn't it (or wasn't bound for Vanier to begin with)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa