HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 6:22 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurph View Post
It's amazing the difference in how well species weather this kind of storm. Elms look like they should be vulnerable, but even the dead branches on poorly pruned elms seem OK. Meanwhile Manitoba Maples and Poplars drop huge limbs and occasionally come down altogether. It's too bad so much of our canopy is made up of those two trees. The manitoba maples are particularly bad -- I always watch for them when I'm parking in any kind of heavy wind or snow.
I suspect the reason behind the poplars being hit so hard is they tend to rot from the inside and a lot of them are reaching the end of their life cycle (the city has been removing and replacing them over the last 10 or so years). Also seems that poplars and maples tend to grow their main branches more horizontal than the elms.

Note: the above is purely based on my observations, I have not formal training.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 7:44 PM
Moran supreme

In our mid-50's community, the trees that came through this snowfall event the best (with the least amount of damage) were the fruit and nut trees (apple, pear, plum and burr oaks). Next up were the tower poplars/columnar aspens and green ash followed closely by the elms. Worst hit were the mountain ash, regular poplars, manitoba maples, maydays and willows. Can't comment on any of the birch varieties as there just aren't that many of them in our community.

Personally, in our yard we have 2 - 60 year old city owned green ashes of which one took a little bit of damage and the other escaped unscathed. Our 60+ year old apple came through with no damage and our young 8 year old elm came through fine. I was out with a 25' extend-a-pole trying to get the snow off of our deciduous trees and that's probably what saved them from any severe damage - my neighbors weren't so lucky with one neighbor having a branch on their elm come down that was over 10 inches in diameter. Other neighbors saw incredible damage to their manitoba maples, green ashes and maydays - some of the trees came down int heir entirety or will have to be taken down.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 7:52 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudlyCanadian View Post
Good to hear that at least one survived. I wonder how the trees at my parents place made out.

If you take a picture of your tree I'll identify it for you.
This is the pic I have so far..

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 8:58 PM
Editor

The snowstorm did some damage, but it looks like not all has been lost. I went out to the garden on the weekend and checked it out.... lots of stuff still growing Even found a bunch of new cukes...they somehow managed to do really well through all of the snow

Old Posted Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 PM
Editor

Out here in the Sunridge business park area there wasn't that much snow, and very little damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
NW seems to have worst damage. SE is least hit, but its mostly a factor of how old/big the trees are.

Around the University its still looking like a war zone, mostly medium sized and tiny branches came down, but there is at least one full tree by the pond between MacKimmie and Admin that literally split in half and is fully down. They've been cutting and chipping as fast as they can from what I can see/hear from my office, but its going to be weeks before they get to even just all the bigger branches. And parts are still coming down, I narrowly missed being hit by a branch when I was walking across campus yesterday.

I'm curious how many trees will not make it this winter. Not to mention the ones that will have to be cut down just due to them now leaning where they shouldn't (such as the row along 14th Street SW between the Rockyview and Heritage, they are all now leaning out and onto the right hand lane there resulting in the lane being kept closed since then)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:52 AM
ARTchitecture

Finally started cleaning up the back yard after half our trees were ruined in last weeks storm. Looks like both our 2nd tallest and 2nd smallest trees are a total loss. On that note, I'm happy to report that even after the freak snow storm, thanks to this weeks above normal summer temps, all my gardens are blooming like crazy, and the strawberry bushes are still producing Hurray!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 4:26 AM
Editor

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 12:14 PM

My taters just popped their heads out of the dirt

Old Posted May 14, 2015, 9:21 PM
Editor

Tomatoes, cukes, squash and peppers waiting to go into the ground. All started from seed except the hanging flower basket.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 5:27 AM
Editor

First tomatoes are out

March 12

May 25

Old Posted Aug 26, 2015, 4:08 AM

Can anyone recommend a reliable landscaping company who works in the inner city?

I need to get more top soil for my yard (as the first batch settled farther down than we thought), roll it, and lay down sod. Unfortunately the guy I had working for me on this totally flaked out, and now I just need to get it down , but don't have the time to do it myself.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:29 AM
Here and There

Landscape Design and Installations

Please have a look at our Company. We are called Domain Landscape Design Build Corp. I left the office 2 years ago to start this with my business partner.

www.domainldbcorp.com

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 6:21 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
Please have a look at our Company. We are called Domain Landscape Design Build Corp. I left the office 2 years ago to start this with my business partner.

www.domainldbcorp.com
This is awesome. I have a keen eye for this sort of thing. You have done some really nice quality work. I want to add a pergola to my existing deck. Will hit you up in the spring or over the winter to get a quote.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post

www.domainldbcorp.com
Congratulations! I always admire someone willing to take the risk to strike out on their own. It looks like you guys do some nice work

Do you have any sources for transplanting larger, mature trees? Is that even a good idea? I would like to add some trees to my yard, but in the name of instant gratification, I'd like the largest trees I can (reasonably) get, rather than waiting for the little sticks available at most nurseries to grow into something more substantial.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation