HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Because we're talking about streetlife on transit. Dubai has no streetlife (at least for the purposes of this discussion), and isn't a democracy, so it isn't particularly surprising that you don't see the negative externalities of streetlife and democratic norms when riding a train in Dubai, as you would in, say, Paris.

I mean, if your point is you don't like bums on trains and like that Dubai because it has no bums on trains, that's fair. But it has nothing to do with the discussion. It's like saying you like that there are no bums on trains in Yosemite Park, or Mars, for that matter.
Homeless people are part of the conversation. But I am talking about loud, rude, and otherwise anti-social people. I never have seen that in Dubai. If that is because of their laws...or whatever, fine. I also never saw that in Tokyo(among other cities, although these two stand out in particular).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 1:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
In the Western USA, the cities with the most undeserved bad raps are—

Sacramento
says the guy based in Sacramento.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
The ones with the most well-deserved bad raps are—
Las Vegas
Phoenix
give me either over Sacramento any day of the week.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:43 AM

^not me. Sacramento has, by a significant margin, the most expansive swath of classic urbanism of these three cities as well as the most historically significant architecture. Although long since eclipsed by the usual suspects in California, it looks and feels the part of a city that was important for nearly a century before either Phoenix or Las Vegas grew to their present form. The downtown/midtown area of Sacramento extends basically 30 square blocks and is organized around a tight and unbroken 400ft grid. It is eminently walkable, charming, and active. Not to mention Sacramento has four genuine seasons (one of which is a mild, pleasantly cool winter), two significant rivers running through it, and is known for it’s tree lined streets with canopies stretching for miles on end. Meanwhile the other two mostly bring to mind heat, asphalt, and strip malls. I’m honestly baffled that I even have to point these things out...

Last edited by DenseCityPlease; Sep 4, 2019 at 1:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenseCityPlease View Post
^not me. Sacramento has, by a significant margin, the most expansive swath of classic urbanism of these three cities as well as the most historically significant architecture. Although long since eclipsed by the usual suspects in California, it looks and feels the part of a city that was important for nearly a century before either Phoenix or Las Vegas grew to their present form. The downtown/midtown area of Sacramento extends basically 30 square blocks and is organized around a tight and unbroken 1/4 mile grid. It is eminently walkable, charming, and active. Not to mention Sacramento has four genuine seasons (one of which is a mild, pleasantly cool winter), two significant rivers running through it, and is known for it’s tree lined streets with canopies stretching for miles on end. Meanwhile the other two mostly bring to mind heat, asphalt, and strip malls. I’m honestly baffled that I even have to point these things out...
Cool story.

Visited Sacramento many times while living in both usual suspects (S.F. & L.A.). Very familiar with it.

Not a fan, at all.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:02 PM

I can understand “not being a fan if it”, that’s perfectly reasonable. My point is simply that, in a three way competition with Phoenix and Las Vegas, Sacramento is the urban heavyweight of the three by the metrics/criteria generally deemed of importance on this forum.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:11 PM

Never been to Sacramento but I spent 5 seconds strolling around on Google Maps so I'm an expert. I defy someone to show anything in Vegas that compares to this (urbanity-wise): https://goo.gl/maps/xhVEzaLezrZ6Awuk6

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Cool story.

Visited Sacramento many times while living in both usual suspects (S.F. & L.A.). Very familiar with it.

Not a fan, at all.
Really? Phoenix and Vegas are two of my least favorite cities in the entire US. Not a fan, at all. I much prefer Sacramento.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:32 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenseCityPlease View Post
I can understand “not being a fan if it”, that’s perfectly reasonable. My point is simply that, in a three way competition with Phoenix and Las Vegas, Sacramento is the urban heavyweight of the three by the metrics/criteria generally deemed of importance on this forum.
The guy is a troll regarding CA. It doesn't matter what city. It is easy to see if you read any of his posts that have anything to do with any city in the State.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
There are a lot of hotels there though, but I get your point. I think the main point is that they have way more bars than people think...that would probably be the more accurate statement to make.
The more accurate statement to make would be that there are no standalone bars in Dubai, which says it all, really. No bars, no local drinking culture, no concept of a public realm or civil society.

But at least they're well behaved on trains. Sounds like fun

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:57 PM
video et taceo

Dubai is a totally alien city and civilization for any Western person. It can't be meaningfully compared to places like Paris or Chicago in any real way (which is I think what Crawford was getting at).

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
The guy is a troll regarding CA. It doesn't matter what city. It is easy to see if you read any of his posts that have anything to do with any city in the State.
Would love to hear you expound on your baseless, idiotic comment, particularly considering how I lived in Los Angeles for 10+ years and rank it among my two favorite U.S. cities, and lived in San Francisco for 4+ years and have never made one single negative comment about it on this forum.

I'll wait.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Really? Phoenix and Vegas are two of my least favorite cities in the entire US. Not a fan, at all. I much prefer Sacramento.
To each his own. Right?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Never been to Sacramento but I spent 5 seconds strolling around on Google Maps so I'm an expert. I defy someone to show anything in Vegas that compares to this (urbanity-wise): https://goo.gl/maps/xhVEzaLezrZ6Awuk6
My opinion regarding Sacramento has nothing to do with its urbanity or lack thereof. I just don't like the city, at all, plain and simple, and happen to favor both Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Why is that so hard to understand? Are people not entitled to their own opinions?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
At least Las Vegas feels like a World Capitol of... something. The Vegas scene isn't really my cup of tea, but when you're on the street there's definitely a buzz and energy that you don't get even in some much bigger cities.

In contrast, Sacramento is a sleepy overgrown cow town with some old buildings and a cute little downtown area. It's pleasantly boring if you're into that sort of thing.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
My opinion regarding Sacramento has nothing to do with its urbanity or lack thereof. I just don't like the city, at all, plain and simple, and happen to favor both Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Why is that so hard to understand? Are people not entitled to their own opinions?
It seemed like you were bashing Sacramento's urban bona fides in comparison to Phoenix and Las Vegas.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:21 PM
video et taceo

Tfw you imagine SSP planet and it contains honor killings about impugning the character of low-density towns. "Honestly he was kinda asking for it."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It seemed like you were bashing Sacramento's urban bona fides in comparison to Phoenix and Las Vegas.
Please provide a quote (or quotes) from me on this forum that made it "seem like I was bashing Sacramento's urban bona fides" specifically.

You won't be able to, because I never did. My remarks here have been restricted to me a) not caring for the city of Sacramento (at all) and b) preferring Las Vegas and Phoenix in comparison to Sacramento.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 3:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
At least Las Vegas feels like a World Capitol of... something. The Vegas scene isn't really my cup of tea, but when you're on the street there's definitely a buzz and energy that you don't get even in some much bigger cities.

In contrast, Sacramento is a sleepy overgrown cow town with some old buildings and a cute little downtown area. It's pleasantly boring if you're into that sort of thing.
I concur with most of your sentiment, aside from the pleasantly boring part because while I agree Sacramento is extremely boring, there's nothing pleasant about it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
To each his own. Right?
Yep, my point exactly.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post

Maybe the world capitol of nasty?

I find Sacramento to be a very pleasant place. Would I live there, probably not, but if my choices were only Sacramento, Phoenix and Vegas, Sacramento would easily win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions