HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:24 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Mid-season slump?
Usual lousy December and January that kills all hope would be my prognosis, but I will let them get to Groundhog Day before declaring them dead.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:29 PM

Coaching changes are on the menu for everyone. Calgary is rejuvenated, the Leafs are as well even with a couple weird losses last week. New Jersey still sucks but that's probably to be expected.

This Dallas one is intriguing though. Montgomery was actually doing really well with the squad and the players seemed to like him a lot. The players still haven't been informed why he was fired, and the league has said it knew about the incident and it is unrelated to the new guidelines it is creating surrounding player abuse.

People are speculating he either slept with someone's wife or was involved with gambling on games (in that case though I imagine the league would've handed out immediate punishment instead of it coming from the team).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:52 PM

Jets just 2 points back of St Louis for 1st place in the Western Conference. Yet no one in the media talks about it just Leafs Leafs Leafs and the coaches all getting fired. Amazing the Jets are doing this with a no name defence.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Jets just 2 points back of St Louis for 1st place in the Western Conference. Yet no one in the media talks about it just Leafs Leafs Leafs and the coaches all getting fired. Amazing the Jets are doing this with a no name defence.
I think part of the problem for the Jets is that they're in the Central Division away from the other Canadian teams, so they kind of fly under the radar. Glad to see them doing well though! All the western teams are in a playoff spot save for Vancouver, and I'm good with that! I'm hoping this is the year we get to play Edmonton or Winnipeg in the playoffs!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Maybe it’s an illusion but this year’s Jets feel like a more solid contender than we’ve seen in previous seasons, even though they have been pretty good for a couple of years now. It’s more like watching Boston or Pittsburgh where, year after year, it doesn’t seem to matter who the players are ... if you put on those uniforms you go out and win. Laine has grown up immensely, even his accent has almost disappeared... maybe he’ll follow Teemu as a sensational scorer to begin with who then developed into a more all-round star. Ehlers is the same ... what a transformation.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Doesn't bother me at all, the media can totally ignore the Jets, we'll keep enjoying all the Ws. Considering the generally low expectations heading into this season what with the supposedly depleted defense, it's almost magical.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:19 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think part of the problem for the Jets is that they're in the Central Division away from the other Canadian teams, so they kind of fly under the radar. Glad to see them doing well though! All the western teams are in a playoff spot save for Vancouver, and I'm good with that! I'm hoping this is the year we get to play Edmonton or Winnipeg in the playoffs!
Yes that would be fun ... a matchup between any two of those three would be fantastic to watch.

So far the Jets seem to be playing everyone but the Central Division ... very strange schedule but I guess we’ll have a spate of in-division games eventually.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 5:32 PM

I get the feeling Buff and Trouba were shit disturbers in the dressing room last year and with them gone the team seems much more cohesive and playing with a chip on their shoulder and playing like a family. I think the massive change in defensive players has also forced them to play more disciplined defense where as in the past they seemed to rely just on their talent alone and not a real defensive system.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:34 PM

Flames 7th win in a row...nice win over the Leafs. The dome was rowdy for a change.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 3:56 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Flames 7th win in a row...nice win over the Leafs. The dome was rowdy for a change.
That was awesome watching the Leaf fans bail out of the dome when it was clear they weren't going to tie it up.

If Matthews' scores instead of hitting the post it would have been a lot more tense towards the end.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 4:12 PM

Haha, suck it Leafs!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:39 PM
Community Guy

Of all the teams to lose to...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:05 PM

The Edmonton McDraisaitls didn't show up.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:01 PM
Community Guy

Hallsy to the yotes!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:03 PM

Canucks aren't looking great right now. Either this is just a seasonal slump or the beginning of the end of playoff hopes.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 11:32 PM

Going to be interesting to watch Arizona now, they are playing really well and just added some offensive punch. I think it was a big price to pay if Hall doesn't re-sign though.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 4:38 PM

Pretty entertaining game between the Flames and Habs last night, the wrong guys got the extra point, but that was fun to watch still.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Pretty entertaining game between the Flames and Habs last night, the wrong guys got the extra point, but that was fun to watch still.
Crap! I thought Montréal won...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 10:37 PM

That was one of the craziest games I've ever seen.

-Score 3 in the first 5 minutes and the goalie gets pulled.

-Let in 5 unanswered including 3 in just over a minute.

-Score 3 more goals in 59 seconds to win the game.

No way the Leafs make that comeback under Babcock. Keefe put his best players together and told them to win the game and they did. Babs would've had the fourth line out there grinding for the last 10 minutes of the game.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
That was one of the craziest games I've ever seen.

-Score 3 in the first 5 minutes and the goalie gets pulled.

-Let in 5 unanswered including 3 in just over a minute.

-Score 3 more goals in 59 seconds to win the game.

No way the Leafs make that comeback under Babcock. Keefe put his best players together and told them to win the game and they did. Babs would've had the fourth line out there grinding for the last 10 minutes of the game.
Yep, lovin it. They're paying those guys to win, let them do it. Not many teams can match the top 4 of the Leafs and we are seeing that under Keefe. So refreshing to see lines loaded up at opportune times as well as heavy minutes for the big guns. Keefe knew they have the Xmas break coming so might as well go all in today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada