HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Load the page and hit escape repeatedly until the whole article shows up. If it doesn’t work, try again.
That’s what I do also

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 6:57 PM

This is probably why we haven't heard anything about the 14th and Spring project for a while:

https://cityofatlanta-my.sharepoint....d-bd95f68e41a1

TLDR: A zoning appeal has been filed for developer's failure to extend 13th Street between Spring and Williams.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 3:38 PM
Jamie Jordan

Another Large Westside Development Opportunity

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...g-selling.html

The Atlanta Community Food Bank announced today their plans to relocate and sell their current Westside facility on Joseph E. Lowery Blvd. As I've indicated on my map, this corridor around Hollowell Pkwy has tremendous potential for complete redevelopment with the Quarry Yards development and Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry in the works. Pretty much every block along this stretch is prime for redevelopment. Interested to see if we see more developers start jumping in there the way Brock Built has with Westside Yards and the 1060 Hollowell developments.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...669160572&z=16

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 7:53 PM
AK

Crane is finally up for the Hampton Inn on West Peachtree Street and 15th street

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 12:06 AM

I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but Atlanta is truly turning into a fast food powerhouse. Every fast food chain requires a beverage company and we have Coke. Then we have Chik-Fil-A, Waffle House, and Roark Capital Group. Roark is the true giant becasue they own most of Inspire Brands (Arbys, T-Mac, Sonic) and then they have investments in companies such as Moes and Auntie Annies. And a lot of the affiliates of Roark are also based in Atlanta.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:54 AM

Dezhu O4W Projects Now Underway

Dezhu's Projects in O4W, including 525 Parkway (apartments) and 456 Parkway (townhomes) have finally started initial development this week.

525 Parkway

525 Parkway

525 Parkway

456 Parkway

456 Parkway

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 11:44 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
I am not sure if this has been mentioned, but Atlanta is truly turning into a fast food powerhouse. Every fast food chain requires a beverage company and we have Coke. Then we have Chik-Fil-A, Waffle House, and Roark Capital Group. Roark is the true giant becasue they own most of Inspire Brands (Arbys, T-Mac, Sonic) and then they have investments in companies such as Moes and Auntie Annies. And a lot of the affiliates of Roark are also based in Atlanta.
Don't forget places like Great American Cookies, Shane's Rib Shack, Mellow Mushroom, Huddle House, Church's Chicken and Zaxby's.

There's been some hemmorhaging lately though, with the loss of Popeyes and the company that owns Longhorn Steakhouse (Darden?).

That's really what I love about Atlanta though. It's home to so many successful, home-grown companies that have become household names.

It's also a city that has tentacles in almost everything.

*Aerospace (Delta, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, etc. all have major operations here).

*Logistics (UPS, Norfolk Southern, Hartsfield-Jackson being the world's busiest airport.)

*Food / Beverage (Coca-Cola, tons of restaurant chains, etc., RaceTrac, etc.)

*Banking / Finance (SunTrust, Equifax)

*Government / Military (CDC, Dobbins Air Force Base, Federal Reserve Bank)

*Broadcast Media / TV (Cox, Turner Broadcasting, The Weather Channel, etc.)

*Healthcare (Cancer Treatment Center of America, American Cancer Society, McKesson, etc.)

*Housing (PulteGroup)

And now Atlanta has buergeoning industries in:

*Automotive (Mercedes, Porsche, Kia, PSA Groupe)

*Film (Raleigh Studios, Pinewood Studios, Founders Studios, etc.)

*Tech (NCR, Anthem, Georgia Tech, etc.)

About the only thing Atlanta doesn't have siginificant ties to is the oil industry, mainly because its geography isn't conducive to drilling / fracking.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Sep 30, 2018 at 2:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 3:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan1023 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...g-selling.html

The Atlanta Community Food Bank announced today their plans to relocate and sell their current Westside facility on Joseph E. Lowery Blvd. As I've indicated on my map, this corridor around Hollowell Pkwy has tremendous potential for complete redevelopment with the Quarry Yards development and Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry in the works. Pretty much every block along this stretch is prime for redevelopment. Interested to see if we see more developers start jumping in there the way Brock Built has with Westside Yards and the 1060 Hollowell developments.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...669160572&z=16
JJ - I have said for awhile now, my friends that are bankers have told me all the investors/projects they are looking at are on the Westside. Don't forget about Wood Partners large project there too (see link below).

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...0-million.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
JJ - I have said for awhile now, my friends that are bankers have told me all the investors/projects they are looking at are on the Westside. Don't forget about Wood Partners large project there too (see link below).

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...0-million.html
I completely forgot about that one. It's been mighty silent these last 8 months.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
Don't forget places like Great American Cookies, Shane's Rib Shack, Mellow Mushroom, Huddle House, Church's Chicken and Zaxby's.

There's been some hemmorhaging lately though, with the loss of Popeyes and the company that owns Longhorn Steakhouse (Darden?).

That's really what I love about Atlanta though. It's home to so many successful, home-grown companies that have become household names.

*Aerospace (Delta, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, etc. all have major operations here).

*Logistics (UPS, Norfolk Southern, Hartsfield-Jackson being the world's busiest airport.)

*Healthcare (Cancer Treatment Center of America, American Cancer Society, McKesson, etc.)

*Housing (PulteGroup)

About the only thing Atlanta doesn't have siginificant ties to is the oil industry, mainly because its geography isn't conducive to drilling / fracking.
Isn't Atlanta also home to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:

*Housing (PulteGroup)

This is a good list... but I’d add the music industry as well. Maybe not the revenue generating power as HD or Coke, but the Atlanta music scene is world famous and an often overlooked aspect of the city’s brand.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:15 PM

^ It absolutely is. The CDC is such an important organization with global impact/reach. Atlanta is also the U.S. headquarters of CARE.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:23 PM

Ok cool!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
This is a good list... but I’d add the music industry as well. Maybe not the revenue generating power as HD or Coke, but the Atlanta music scene is world famous and an often overlooked aspect of the city’s brand.
True.

Atlanta doesn't really play much of a role when it comes to recording/distributing the finished product (like Nashville or LA), but it has produced a significant amount of the talent that has helped to transform the industry over the last 30 years.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:48 AM

I would add oil to the list for Atlanta industries. "Colonial Pipeline"

Quote:

*Housing (PulteGroup)

Colonial Pipeline, headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, "is the largest U.S. refined products pipeline system and can carry more than 3 million barrels of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel between the U.S. Gulf Coast and the New York Harbor area." Wikipedia

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:49 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlnative73 View Post
Colonial Pipeline, headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, "is the largest U.S. refined products pipeline system and can carry more than 3 million barrels of gasoline, diesel and jet fuel between the U.S. Gulf Coast and the New York Harbor area." Wikipedia
Interesting! That I did not know.

So Atlanta does literally have its tentacles in everything, lol.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Load the page and hit escape repeatedly until the whole article shows up. If it doesn’t work, try again.
if you'd like to do this an easier way, using uMatrix you can add these two rules
Quote:
bizjournals.com 1st-party cookie block
bizjournals.com 1st-party xhr block

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:10 PM

https://afscatlanta.blogspot.com/201...ct-is.html?m=1

American Friends Service Committee/Atlanta
Atlanta Economic Justice Program

Sunday, September 30, 2018
TOP 10 REASONS WHY THE GULCH PROJECT IS A SHAM FOR ATLANTA
TOP 10 REASONS WHY ATLANTA'S GULCH DEAL IS BAD FOR THE CITY'S FUTURE

1. Public cost is at least 20 times the public benefit. Grossly disproportionate cost/benefit in CIM’s favor. Council did well to hold it - needs an independent, professional review of this deal.

2. Public cost is about $2.3Bn at 2018 prices , of which $2Bn is property tax and $0.3bn in sales tax. In return, public benefits are only worth, on generous interpretation, about $100mm.

3. When the public is putting in as much as 40% of the cost to develop a private, commercial project, the public should own 40% of it. Instead, we will own nothing. The only explanation for this grotesque imbalance of advantage is CIM’s Abject Greed.

4. The numbers. Property tax on a $5bn project when it’s complete - in 2032, per developer’s schedule - would be $90mm / yr. APS (the schools) would be losing out on $45mm / yr and the city and county $22.5mm / yr each.

5. Despite all the smoke from the project’s boosters, this lost property tax really IS a cost to the public. Because if offices, hotels etc. are NOT built in a tax-free Gulch, they will be built in taxable parts of town, such as Tech Square, Midtown, S Downtown, Atlantic Station, Buckhead and around the Beltline. If CIM does not get this deal, the demand for office, etc. will be met by developers in places where new construction pays taxes.

6. The same is true of the sales tax. This scheme would short the city and the state of some $300mm at 2018 prices thru 2048. Retail sales demand is not going to be created by putting stores in the Gulch. Those sales are going to happen somewhere in town, and the only question is whether they pay tax to the state and the general fund or not. So the total revenue loss IS $2.3 Billion. That is $5,000 per man, woman and child resident in the city. It is equivalent to a $20,000 donation from every family of four in Atlanta to the billionaire Ressler brothers.

7. The public benefits that have been dribbled out amount generously to around $100mm. The different cash funds are easy to add up: $42mm (though with no guarantee they’ll be spent to create real community benefit). The 200 housing units affordable at 80% AMI are worth $10mm, unless CIM guarantees 99 years with no further subsidy, which would make them worth $60mm. Total value from $52mm- $102mm.

8. The hard sell for this deal pretends that it brings 37,000 jobs to town. That is nonsense. Employers bring jobs to town – over 40,000 in the past 6 years – NCR, Worldpay, Honeywell, Anthem, Kaiser and so on – for our competitive talent, universities and airport. Office towers do not bring jobs here. (If they did, we’d have had no unemployment in the great recession, because we sure had masses of empty office towers.) So the scheme does not bring one single job here.

9. Similarly the sales pitch takes credit for 1800 construction jobs. But office towers are going to be built in the city to meet employer demand. So the same construction jobs will be here, whether those offices are built in the Gulch or in S Downtown and elsewhere. Handing over a $2bn subsidy will not result in more offices being built than are needed or more construction jobs.

10. The final arm-twist on Council has been a Norfolk Southern deal. N-S wants us to give this enormous subsidy to CIM so that NS can sell Gulch land to CIM at a big profit. There’s nothing in that for the public. But NS might move 1,000 HQ people here in a consolidation. To justify a $2bn subsidy, we’d need not 1,000 jobs but about 600,000 jobs! That’s more than twice the total number of jobs in the entire city (and 12 times the size of Amazon HQ2).

The Housing Justice League will be co-sponsoring a townhall for those that want to learn more or get involved this Thursday October 4th at 6:30pm, click here for to link to the facebook event.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post

1. Public cost is at least 20 times the public benefit. Grossly disproportionate cost/benefit in CIM’s favor. Council did well to hold it - needs an independent, professional review of this deal.

2. Public cost is about $2.3Bn at 2018 prices , of which $2Bn is property tax and $0.3bn in sales tax. In return, public benefits are only worth, on generous interpretation, about $100mm.

3. When the public is putting in as much as 40% of the cost to develop a private, commercial project, the public should own 40% of it. Instead, we will own nothing. The only explanation for this grotesque imbalance of advantage is CIM’s Abject Greed.

4. The numbers. Property tax on a $5bn project when it’s complete - in 2032, per developer’s schedule - would be $90mm / yr. APS (the schools) would be losing out on $45mm / yr and the city and county $22.5mm / yr each.

5. Despite all the smoke from the project’s boosters, this lost property tax really IS a cost to the public. Because if offices, hotels etc. are NOT built in a tax-free Gulch, they will be built in taxable parts of town, such as Tech Square, Midtown, S Downtown, Atlantic Station, Buckhead and around the Beltline. If CIM does not get this deal, the demand for office, etc. will be met by developers in places where new construction pays taxes.

6. The same is true of the sales tax. This scheme would short the city and the state of some $300mm at 2018 prices thru 2048. Retail sales demand is not going to be created by putting stores in the Gulch. Those sales are going to happen somewhere in town, and the only question is whether they pay tax to the state and the general fund or not. So the total revenue loss IS $2.3 Billion. That is $5,000 per man, woman and child resident in the city. It is equivalent to a $20,000 donation from every family of four in Atlanta to the billionaire Ressler brothers.

7. The public benefits that have been dribbled out amount generously to around $100mm. The different cash funds are easy to add up: $42mm (though with no guarantee they’ll be spent to create real community benefit). The 200 housing units affordable at 80% AMI are worth $10mm, unless CIM guarantees 99 years with no further subsidy, which would make them worth $60mm. Total value from $52mm- $102mm.

8. The hard sell for this deal pretends that it brings 37,000 jobs to town. That is nonsense. Employers bring jobs to town – over 40,000 in the past 6 years – NCR, Worldpay, Honeywell, Anthem, Kaiser and so on – for our competitive talent, universities and airport. Office towers do not bring jobs here. (If they did, we’d have had no unemployment in the great recession, because we sure had masses of empty office towers.) So the scheme does not bring one single job here.

9. Similarly the sales pitch takes credit for 1800 construction jobs. But office towers are going to be built in the city to meet employer demand. So the same construction jobs will be here, whether those offices are built in the Gulch or in S Downtown and elsewhere. Handing over a $2bn subsidy will not result in more offices being built than are needed or more construction jobs.

10. The final arm-twist on Council has been a Norfolk Southern deal. N-S wants us to give this enormous subsidy to CIM so that NS can sell Gulch land to CIM at a big profit. There’s nothing in that for the public. But NS might move 1,000 HQ people here in a consolidation. To justify a $2bn subsidy, we’d need not 1,000 jobs but about 600,000 jobs! That’s more than twice the total number of jobs in the entire city (and 12 times the size of Amazon HQ2).

The Housing Justice League will be co-sponsoring a townhall for those that want to learn more or get involved this Thursday October 4th at 6:30pm, click here for to link to the facebook event.
Hear, hear. An analysis of the actual public benefit to these deals is hugely important. Handing out overly generous tax breaks to huge companies just because they can get them elsewhere is not a good enough reason.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 3:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV View Post

I am not sure where this website got their data, but they are dead wrong on two major parts. First, the maximum total incentive in the Agreement is $1.7 Billion. Second and most importantly, property taxes constitute only up to $500 million of the incentives and retail sales taxes up to $1.2 Billion and both are capped at those amounts.

Just so we are all clear, neither the city or state will be giving any incentives to CIM Group until they have built buildings and are accessed property taxes on those building. Additionally those buildings must have businesses that will collect city and state sales taxes from their operations before they receive any of the retail sales tax incentives. The bottom line is no ones tax dollars are funding this project - it is all coming from the development itself and the business it generates. If the developer fails to build and/or they build and there is no market demand for the product, then the developers carries the complete loss.

This is why I have said since reading the Gulch Agreement, they must have Amazon HQ2 committed to the project or these people are the biggest buffoons. If you look at CIM Group's track record and experience, they are hardly new to this. Actually they are one of the largest developers in the US and have developed/own $30 Billion in assets.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Oct 1, 2018 at 4:24 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations