HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 10:38 PM

CBC are reporting that Rumpelstiltskin's at the Quality Inn has been closed since Monday without warning and even the Hotel management can't reach the owners. Anyone know what happened?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:00 PM

Anyone hear anything on Rumpelstiltskin's?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
Anyone hear anything on Rumpelstiltskin's?
According to staff at Costco, when we brought back our Rumplestiltskin's gift cards today, they sold the business. Strange. BTW, if you bring back the $50.00 gift cards to Costco without a receipt you'll only get $30.00 back because that was their last sale price. The original Costco price was $40.00. I guess if the business sold a bunch of these around Christmas and spent the last couple of months getting little in actual cash other than gift cards, they might have found it a struggle. Too bad, it was a nice restaurant.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 12:59 AM

Heard on the news this evening that they owed the hotel a bunch of money in unpaid rent. It was there for well over 20 years so its too bad. I'm sure the hotel will have another restaurant in its place though.

Friday night I had supper at The Salt House which is the new restaurant in the old Fifth Ticket location. Good food and excellent prices.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 11:57 AM

With the exception of The Keg, Jack Asters, and few select others --- I'm willing to bet the vast majority of downtown Restaurants are all on the brink of closing ! Its not something anyone wants to talk about, but the economy in this city is in a really tough spot right now, and it is going to be extremely difficult for these places to survive the downturn.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
With the exception of The Keg, Jack Asters, and few select others --- I'm willing to bet the vast majority of downtown Restaurants are all on the brink of closing ! Its not something anyone wants to talk about, but the economy in this city is in a really tough spot right now, and it is going to be extremely difficult for these places to survive the downturn.
I remember talking to someone involved with the Restaurant Association a few years ago. Margins in the restaurant business are razor thin. Most of them weren't making any money at that time. Now the lunch trade is down as large companies like Suncor move out of downtown. And other than the weekends when are regular people going out for dinner unless they are on vacation.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 3:43 PM

The Parlour Gelato + Coffee is now open on Military Road at College Square. It has been full every time I've gone by. Has a great feel inside. Gelato is made in house. Coffee is roasted there too and they have plans to eventually sell beans. Can confirm the espresso is great. Will try the gelato on a warmer day. There are other grab and go foods too.

https://www.instagram.com/theparlouronmilitary/?hl=en

I think they will do well. It's a great location between a dense(r) residential area and the park that serves a higher end product.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 4:43 PM

I was recently at the Fish Exchange on a Monday night, and they were blocked. We couldn't believe it, actually. Glad we had a reservation, because they had a line waiting when we left at 730.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbnl View Post
I was recently at the Fish Exchange on a Monday night, and they were blocked. We couldn't believe it, actually. Glad we had a reservation, because they had a line waiting when we left at 730.
Adelaide, Merchant, and Yellowbelly are also blocked most nights. I don't think the nightlife is going away any time soon.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbnl View Post
There's a rumour going around town that The Fish Exchange is closing. Not sure if I believe it.... But there's a rumour. Again...a rumour. I've been there a half dozen times and it was awesome every time. It's also been fairly busy every time, which is why I'm skeptical.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post
There's a rumour going around town that The Fish Exchange is closing. Not sure if I believe it.... But there's a rumour. Again...a rumour. I've been there a half dozen times and it was awesome every time. It's also been fairly busy every time, which is why I'm skeptical.
Apologies. Deleted my comment. Was just sharing info like others on this site.

Last edited by Larla77; Mar 27, 2019 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
This is what I heard. The Fish Exchange, Rumpelstiltskins and Fog City are all owned by the same person. They opened a Fish Exchange in Halifax and that restaurant/venture is bleeding him dry and that's why Rumples and Fog City closed. He had a deal with the Mall that they would build the new building for Fog City and he was responsible for the inside. He had to break the deal because he could not longer do the inside - hence Fog City closed. The Fish Exchange dt is the last of his restaurants standing and yes there are rumors that it might close because of the owners debts. Like other restaurateurs before he bit off more than he could chew. I hope it stays open as its a popular spot and an excellent seafood restaurant beyond the usual fish and chip joints.
Fog City is still just closed temporarily, re-opening later this year in the mall parking lot as said very recently on the Mall's facebook page.

I have a friend who works at a restaurant who's owned by the same people as those restaurants you listed above, and they also own MANY other franchises around the city that are doing quite well.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
This is what I heard. The Fish Exchange, Rumpelstiltskins and Fog City are all owned by the same person. They opened a Fish Exchange in Halifax and that restaurant/venture is bleeding him dry and that's why Rumples and Fog City closed. He had a deal with the Mall that they would build the new building for Fog City and he was responsible for the inside. He had to break the deal because he could not longer do the inside - hence Fog City closed. The Fish Exchange dt is the last of his restaurants standing and yes there are rumors that it might close because of the owners debts. Like other restaurateurs before he bit off more than he could chew. I hope it stays open as its a popular spot and an excellent seafood restaurant beyond the usual fish and chip joints.

PLEASE DO NOT SPREAD RUMOURS when you have no clue what you are talking about. Rob Moore owns Fish Exchange, his ex-wife owned Rumples ( Not R.Moore), and Fog City is owned by a group of people led By Wayne Moore ( and includes Rob as part owner ), they also own The Keg together, --- if one is closing, it has nothing to do with the other. Shame on you people for spreading Crap.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:36 PM

Seeing ads on linkedin for a staff for a Rockford Grill in NL. Anyone hear of them?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:11 PM

Can't find any indication of where it's going to be located, but here is the restaurants website.

https://rockfordgrill.com

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDMusic View Post
Can't find any indication of where it's going to be located, but here is the restaurants website.

https://rockfordgrill.com
Interesting, they only have two other locations...both in BC. One is in a ski-resort and the other attached to a Sandman Hotel.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Interesting, they only have two other locations...both in BC. One is in a ski-resort and the other attached to a Sandman Hotel.
I was at Moxies last week and noticed they are getting the patio area ready. I figured it was going to be part of Moxies but maybe its this place instead?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Seeing ads on linkedin for a staff for a Rockford Grill in NL. Anyone hear of them?
Rockford Grill theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d41cAOmcuxk

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
I was at Moxies last week and noticed they are getting the patio area ready. I figured it was going to be part of Moxies but maybe its this place instead?
Well I'd imagine if it's going there it would be replacing Moxies all-together wouldn't it?

That being said if they a doing new hiring for the place it's probably a completely separate location somewhere else.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Apparently the manager of Moxie's posted job listings under Rockford Grill instead of Moxie's according to a couple of staff members. They're all under the same umbrella. Also, the patio area should be open in two to three weeks.

Last edited by The Dude Abides; Apr 26, 2019 at 10:36 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's