HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Northwestern Mutual Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Milwaukee Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 8:15 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here's an update on the demolition of the existing building on site from a forumer at SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctStdntUWM View Post
Snapped a picture coming out of work yesterday. The northwest corner of the building seems to be coming down the fastest. (Other side of the building, on the left)

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:45 AM
Chairman

This would have been a nice candidate for an implosion.

-sb

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 4:07 AM

I don't think it would have because it is steel framed. Given the fact that it is harder to implode steel than reinforced concrete and the price of steel, I am not surprised they are going to take it apart piece by piece instead. Good for Milwaukee though, even if it seems a waste to destroy a relatively new building of this size in a city the size of Milwaukee. I can't even recall Chicago razing something this new and big in recent memory.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:03 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I don't think it would have because it is steel framed. Given the fact that it is harder to implode steel than reinforced concrete and the price of steel, I am not surprised they are going to take it apart piece by piece instead. Good for Milwaukee though, even if it seems a waste to destroy a relatively new building of this size in a city the size of Milwaukee. I can't even recall Chicago razing something this new and big in recent memory.
Steel structures are just as easy to implode by utilizing linear shaped charges.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:38 PM

Demolition continues, already a few floors have been removed. I took these pictures yesterday, 04/10/2014.

Last edited by brianpatrick; Apr 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 7:46 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow, what an excellent development! Transforming an entire city block, along with a new 2nd tallest for the city!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 4:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Northwestern Mutual selects local builder team of Gilbane, C.G. Schmidt for downtown tower

Sean Ryan
Reporter-
Milwaukee Business Journal

Northwestern Mutual selected Gilbane Building Co. and locally based C.G. Schmidt Inc. from a short list of four major contractors to build its downtown Milwaukee tower.

The selection puts local contractors in a lead role for the biggest building to be developed in the downtown area in a generation. The project, totaling 1.1 million square feet, includes a 32-story office tower connected to a three-story commons building that will stretch along the south side of East Mason Street. Construction will start later this year and be complete by 2017.

The selection marks another step forward for the insurance company’s $450 million downtown project. It means Northwestern Mutual and the builders will intensify efforts to line up small and local businesses to work as subcontractors on the tower. The building will create more than 1,000 construction jobs.
source: http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...r-team-of.html

Old Posted May 14, 2014, 2:57 PM
All man. Half nuts.

one step closer to breaking ground…

Quote:
The Common Council on Tuesday approved a job training program for the planned Northwestern Mutual building tower downtown.

Construction on the 32-story, 550-foot tower, to be built adjacent to its historic 1914 headquarters in downtown Milwaukee, is scheduled to begin this fall. The project is expected to be completed near the end of 2017.

The $450 million project with 1.1 million square feet of space is expected to provide plenty of work for the construction trades in the region. The proposal approved Tuesday authorizes an agreement between the city and the Wisconsin Regional Training Partnership for job training at the Northwestern Mutual site.

Under the plan, Wisconsin Regional Training Partnership will help Northwestern Mutual meet an objective in which 40% of the jobs on the site will go to residents of the city of Milwaukee. In addition, the program has a stated goal of connecting 350 people to a career in the construction trades and placing up to 150 workers on the job site.

The project is expected to create 1,000 construction jobs.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/common-council-overrides-mayor-tom-barrett-veto-on-licensing-rules-b99269090z1-259068061.html#ixzz31hasA0Ff

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:16 PM
devout Pizzatarian

demolition continues, from SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
Today May 5, 2014.....

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 1:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a post from SSC. demolition of the old tower is almost complete, just a few floors to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrek View Post
Friend posted this the other day, thought I'd share

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:39 PM

It's strange seeing this building torn down. Supposedly this tower was "the building that started homelessness in Milwaukee". I guess there used to be a skid row of sorts where this building stands consisting of high density, low rent, tenement apartments that NWML bought up and knocked down for this building pushing Milwaukee's homeless population from near zero to sky high overnight.

I've tried looking up source on this, but haven't been able to find anything. Has anyone else heard anything about this? Maybe I am thinking of the newer post modern tower to the north?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2014, 5:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

from chitrek over at SSC. the old building is now gone, let construction commence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitrek View Post

Old Posted Jul 1, 2014, 1:16 PM

Here are some additional renderings inside and out:

http://www.northwesternmutual.com/ne...ilding-Designs

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 3:21 PM
All man. Half nuts.

that was one of the tidiest demolitions i've ever seen.

if the Couture gets underway soon, milwaukee will have two 500 footers under construction.

and it looks like the 18-floor 833 East building broke ground this month, too. exciting times for milwaukee!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 9:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

this one is almost officially U/C.

Quote:
Northwestern Mutual starts downtown tower, training program ramps up
Aug 26, 2014, 1:15pm CDT
Sean Ryan
Reporter-
Milwaukee Business Journal

Beyond being a big deal for downtown Milwaukee boosters, Northwestern Mutual’s Tuesday ceremony to start its 32-story tower is particularly important to local builders.

Northwestern Mutual CEO John Schlifske on Tuesday kicked off construction of the downtown tower and commons project. Builders for more than a year have prepared for this moment by demolishing an existing Northwestern building and relocating utilities.

The project will be completed in 2017. It is expected to provide jobs for 1,000 construction workers. Under a deal to receive city financing, Northwestern Mutual committed to having Milwaukee residents work 40 percent of the project hours. The trades training organization WRTP/BIG STEP, under a contract with the city, is finding and preparing workers for those jobs.
full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee...5&t=1409085115

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 12:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
demolition of the existing 16 story NML building on the site has commenced. here's a recent shot from AcctStdntUWM over at SSC:
That's quite an attractive international box. There's an eyesore next door that should have went instead.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 1:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

from a forumer over at SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctStdntUWM View Post

Not the greatest quality, but it hasn't been easy to grab a good picture with the covered 8ft high fencing around the site.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 5:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

recent pics of the site from MilwaukeeMark over at SSC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 2:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

recent site prep pics from an SSC forumer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnurd View Post
Photos taken Friday October 17, 2014.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

a forumer over at SSC said that the tower crane for this one was starting to go up, so this one is likely now officially under construction.

waiting for photo confirmation before moving the thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive