HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I as a working tax paying person in the great country. Why am I being forced to pay for First Nations ???? Seems everyone is being forced around at one point in their life. And it seems like it's been our turn since the creation on reserved.

It's time to start taxing all First Nations so they can start paying for my street renewals as I'm tired of being forced to pay.
You are being forced to pay because your ancestors agreed to that on your behalf, either by supporting the government at the time or choosing to immigrate to a country where that agreement had been made.

Your beef, it appears, would be with your ancestors, not with First Nations.

BTW, First Nations people do pay income and other taxes if they live off reserve, so they are paying for your street renewals.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:08 PM

I am surprised nobody has commented on the recent SCOC decision regarding Metis and Non status Indians. given the numbers in Manitoba and Saskatchewan the impact over the long term could be huge, particularly in terms of fiscal relations with Ottawa.

this message board might want to consider changing the name of the thread to aboriginal issues.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 9:14 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
I as a working tax paying person in the great country. Why am I being forced to pay for First Nations ????
Anything can be put into the bolded region. Why are my tax dollars being spent on infrastructure I'll never use, or health care I'm not presently using?

Quote:
It's time to start taxing all First Nations so they can start paying for my street renewals as I'm tired of being forced to pay.
Then that should be amended in the Indian Act (link). Click around in that link, it's an interesting read.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 10:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
You are being forced to pay because your ancestors agreed to that on your behalf, either by supporting the government at the time or choosing to immigrate to a country where that agreement had been made.

Your beef, it appears, would be with your ancestors, not with First Nations.

BTW, First Nations people do pay income and other taxes if they live off reserve, so they are paying for your street renewals.
Aborigines seem to want their cake and eat it too. They want to be treated like everyone else in the country yet continue to receive special treatment through funding that the rest of us will never have access to because most of us work for what we have in life.

We are all Canadian living in a multicultural country in the 21st century. We should all be treated equally, no matter what race or cultural background we come from.

Time to end special treatment based on race.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Aborigines seem to want their cake and eat it too. They want to be treated like everyone else in the country yet continue to receive special treatment through funding that the rest of us will never have access to because most of us work for what we have in life.

We are all Canadian living in a multicultural country in the 21st century. We should all be treated equally, no matter what race or cultural background we come from.

Cheers to this

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:31 AM
Heart of the Continent

It boggles my mind that people can see it any other way at this point, but, so many do.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Excellent post. It actually applies to small towns on the prairies too. the vast majority of them no longer have medical services, schools or decent infrastructure. I am sure many would like to continue their idyllic small town life and have big city services that someone else pays for, whenever they need them, but that is not sustainable.
^Very good point re: small prairie towns.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 2:47 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:

Nope, not all of us, sorry. Not this one and many of my "Aborigine" friends and family, and it's a shame that people talk in blanket terms like this.

Where do people get their information from aside from the Freep and Sun? Have you ever had the opportunity to meet and know a Native person? If not, I'd gladly volunteer. Seriously, PM me.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:37 AM
BANNED

You are the exception. The number of aboriginals in prison is not fabricated. Where are the aboriginal leaders denouncing crime? They love attacking radio hosts, but God forbid they tell their people to stop committing crime. There are plenty of poor white people who do not turn to crime.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Agreed.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:25 AM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
You are the exception. The number of aboriginals in prison is not fabricated. Where are the aboriginal leaders denouncing crime? They love attacking radio hosts, but God forbid they tell their people to stop committing crime. There are plenty of poor white people who do not turn to crime.
There are plenty of poor Native people who do not turn to crime too. I don't understand.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 7:15 AM
BANNED

people commenting on a lot of these issues should try to read and understand the treaties.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
people commenting on a lot of these issues should try to read and understand the treaties.
I agree. Also need to keep in mind that we would likely be Americans now if not for those treaties. But as Canada becomes more and more a country of newcomers who have left difficult circumstances it will be encreasingly difficult to maintain this perspective.

Both sides are talking past each other at this stage and it is difficult to see any common ground. I have no idea how this plays out but I know it isn't going to be good.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I certainly don't deny the relevance of treaties and the obligations that flow out from under them, I'm just not sure that individuals should rely on them as the basis for decisions at an individual level, like "where should I live in a way that will give me and my children the best odds of health, gaining employment and overall success and happiness?"

Judging by the increasing number of indigenous people in urban areas, it would appear that a great many indigenous people would agree with that approach.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 12:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
There are plenty of poor Native people who do not turn to crime too. I don't understand.
But when the minority is the dominant group in prison, and wanted on Crimestoppers, at what point does a candid conversation start without fear of being called racist?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Enough with the treaties. No offence but it our native population here in Manitoba would actually follow those treaties that their elders signed. They wouldn't be living the way they are now. The treaties are now being used as a crutch. A way to get more money , a way to try and gete the rest of Canada to bow down. Those original treaties were to make the native peoples equal here in Canada. Equal means you contribute to Canada. Not live off it.

Problem is that our native leaders are abusing this now at the cost of the actual native peoples. And the more they push the rest of Canada. The more divide they bring.

Trust me as being part native I can tell you that the rest of Canada would like nothing more then to see the native population working with the rest of us side by side. But we also would like to see everyone treated exactly the same.

I live in an upscale white area and to be honest I have nothing wrong with a hard working native person and his family moving in beside me. I do have an issue with a non working native person moving in beside me and knowing its my tax dollars paying for that home. That's not fair to anyone.

It's time to take those treaties back to the table. Bring them up to date with the rest of Canada and move on.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 1:24 PM

Quote:

It's not 'special treatment' it's 'contractually obligated treatment.' The only way that this will end would be through a mutually negotiated settlement and dissolution of the treaties, which would involve a payout in the multi-billions.

Like it or not the Canadian government signed these treaties and agreed to these obligations. They aren't just going to go away because you think everyone needs to be 'equal.'

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
It's not 'special treatment' it's 'contractually obligated treatment.' The only way that this will end would be through a mutually negotiated settlement and dissolution of the treaties, which would involve a payout in the multi-billions.

Like it or not the Canadian government signed these treaties and agreed to these obligations. They aren't just going to go away because you think everyone needs to be 'equal.'
That's the issue. They as in the Natives keep telling us THEY want to be treated equally. Well that's the way to be treated equally.
I bet if all treaties were scraped that in 10 years or so the entire reservation system would be healthy and a productive community.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:24 PM

Quote:
That's the issue. They as in the Natives keep telling us THEY want to be treated equally. Well that's the way to be treated equally.
I bet if all treaties were scraped that in 10 years or so the entire reservation system would be healthy and a productive community.
Like it or not the treaties are a part of our collective reality. They're not going anywhere.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Some of you have no idea the privileges those lucky enough to be on the ''first nations gravy train" t are afforded, kid need braces no problem, govt, will pay for it, working poor or low income family need orthodontic care, pay for it yourself!

All Canadians should be treated equally is not something first nations leadership wants to hear, they don't want equal treatment they want special treatment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan