HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 6:10 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Here's where they are installing those metal supports. You can see a couple of them in the ground along the left side of the lot. The long, painted strip of wood marks where they drill to install those. They were working on the drill rig, which is why it is not aligned with the already installed rods in this shot.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 5:31 PM

Nice to see a project that actually starts the foundation work in sync with the bulldozing (a rarity of late for SF).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 3:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Now that the shoring is in place, they are wasting no time excavating:

Truck after truck of soil was being filled and driven off. Not sure if you can tell from this angle, but the cab of this tractor is below the perimeter bracing:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 22, 2008, 6:48 AM

^^^ Cool. Nice update.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:09 AM
North Beach

p.g.'s favorite graffiti artist:

This is an amazingly constricted site to build upon:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 4:50 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Ha! He's got another one on the old phone company building that's getting a facelift just up Hawthorne.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 7:16 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They were pumping concrete today:

I couldn't tell exactly what they were doing with it, but it was pumped back into this part of the jobsite:

Some kind of shoring-up for the neighbor perhaps?

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 7:27 AM
BANNED

^^^Those are concrete piles and they appear to be angling them slightly under the neighboring building. The concrete is probably for the shoring--they bore holes at an angle somewhere between horizontal and vertical, insert some rebar and pump in concrete which anchors the perimeter shoring to the surrounding soil making it stronger.

Old Posted May 3, 2008, 10:52 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Makes sense. They aren't really excavating anymore. I guess they needed to get down to a certain point, then more perimeter shoring, then finish the excavation.

It's nice that at least one project is moving right along after demo. Of course, it's the smallest one. But in this financial environment, we take what we can get. And I keep telling myself that this summer ORH2 and/or 45 Lansing will likely get started.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 5:18 PM
Only Mostly Dead

John King wrote about One Hawthorne and the much broader neighborhood (out to Transbay) in today's Chronicle:

Quote:

Place: History resurfaces on an old wall
John King
Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It won't be this way for long, but you can glimpse the past, present and future of San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood from the corner of Hawthorne and Howard streets.

Until last month, the southeast corner of the intersection was filled with a drab five-story building. Now the drab is defunct, razed to make way for a condo tower that begins, as all towers do, with a hole in the ground.

What's on display now: the two-story brick wall of 639 Howard St., the building next door. It starts our history lesson of the century that was and the century to come, from a terrain of sturdy warehouses to a sky-scraping agglomeration of towers.

On that wall is a painted billboard of sorts that probably dates from soon after the building was erected in 1910. Two companies have three-line all-cap declarations stating their business purpose: Sherwood Packing Products ("jobbers and distributors") and Decker's Iowana Brand Hams & Bacon, which tempts us with "quality brand hams bacon lard/perfect products."

Mmm, lard.

Even if the wall hadn't been hidden since the early 1920s, there's no doubt these messages come from long ago. What the heck is a "jobber"? As for the Decker's boast, "perfect" is passe in the age of artisanal this and grass-fed that. And imagine trying to lure a Bay Area foodie with the word "Iowan." Locally sourced or not at all, Mr. D!

Now lift your eyes to see how the story has developed since the decades when this part of town serviced the port to the east and the Financial District to the north.

First up, across Howard Street but looming tight, is 199 New Montgomery, an attractive 16-story condo tower from 2004. It's part of a historic district, and the design by Heller-Manus Architects pays homage to the masonry look and orderly rhythms of its pre-World War II neighbors.

Even without the architectural controls dictated by the location, 199 New Montgomery reflects the post-1980 effort to make new construction in San Francisco look as rooted in tradition as can be. The other lesson on display: a district where lard was hawked now is a desirable place to live.

But wait, there's more.

Above the wall the blue sky is nudged by two glass high-rises where construction crews are still on the job. On the left is 555 Mission, a 458-foot office tower; to the right, the 645-foot Millennium Towerwill hold 419 condominiums with prices as high as the crystalline peak.

These buildings symbolize the neighborhood to come: glistening and modern, coolly affluent. And that empty air between them? It's where the San Francisco Planning Department's zoning proposals last week would allow a 1,000-foot tower.

We've come a long way from jobbers and lard.

While we're in the neighborhood, a bit more on the idea of lifting heights to allow new towers in the blocks around First and Mission streets.

In unveiling their ideas to a full house at Golden Gate University, planners didn't emphasize just aesthetics. Project manager Joshua Switzky spent the first 20 minutes of his presentation building a case for vertical growth based on regional job projections and ... carbon emissions.

Switzky drew on statistics that show 77 percent of workers in downtown San Francisco get to work via public transportation. By comparison, just 5 percent of workers outside San Francisco and Oakland commute on transit.

Then comes the extrapolation, based on various energy studies of late. In a typical year, an estimated 8,800 metric tons of carbon emissions would be generated for every 10,000 workers heading into downtown San Francisco. It's 26,000 metric tons for the same number of mostly car-bound suburban commuters. Which is bad news if you understand the connection between energy consumption and - sorry, skeptics - climate change.

"Where we locate jobs in this region has a major impact on sustainability," Switzky said.

Whether or not you agree, mark my words: It's the sort of argument for dense development you're likely to hear more of in the years to come. And not just in San Francisco.

Finally, tips of the hat to two prominent local designers.

The first is Jim Jennings, one of San Francisco's most exquisite architects (check out Steel Arc, a small loft building of honed metallic grace at 85 Natoma St.). He's the 2008 recipient of the American Academy of Arts and Letters' Academy Award for Architecture - an entertainingly named honor that in the past has gone to such talents as Daniel Libeskind and rising Chicago star Jeanne Gang.

Also taking a bow is Boris Dramov, whose firm ROMA has been the creative force in such efforts as the redesign of the Embarcadero. He's this year's distinguished alumnus at the school of architecture at the University of Southern California. Dramov is the first Northern California designer to receive the award, putting him among such past recipients as Frank Gehry and Thom Mayne.

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
But wait there's more:
From the John King article above:
Quote:
But wait, there's more.
Hey peanut, I think he's quoting you!

Did I say it before? Anyway, I'll say it again: "I love that old wall!"

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 9:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Hey peanut, I think he's quoting you!
Ha! I didn't notice that! Also, I figured out what a jobber was. Why couldn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
Did I say it before? Anyway, I'll say it again: "I love that old wall!"
Me too! I really like old painted billboards and signs on buildings. One of these days I'll get ambitious and do a photo thread on them.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:52 AM
Only Mostly Dead

This has got to be the most crowded job site I've ever seen:

There were a bunch of suits onsite and they were all very interested in the base of the historic building next door. You can see some of them to the left in the photo above.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Ha! I didn't notice that! Also, I figured out what a jobber was. Why couldn't he?
Either he is using the same words by coincidence, reads the SSP Forums, or knows what a jobber is. Whatever the situation, he wants to keep his writing as interesting as he can. Is he just entertaining the fact that most of us in 2008 don't know what a jobber is?

Quote:
There were a bunch of suits onsite and they were all very interested in the base of the historic building next door. You can see some of them to the left in the photo above.
They could be concerned with how the construction of the new structural foundation can be done, while minimizing the negative effect on the neighboring structure. They may also be checking for any recently uncovered unknowns.

Last edited by SFView; May 7, 2008 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 8:01 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Oh yeah, I'm sure he figured it out and was just being funny. I was just joking around too. It might not seem like it on here, but I like his work and look forward reading him. I disagree on some things (mostly height-related) but overall I enjoy reading his articles. He often highlights projects and features of the city that I'm not aware of, like his feature on some of the public spaces in private buildings. There were a few in that list I didn't know about.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 4:12 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Here's one thing they're working on. They're doing some sealing work on the old building next door. This was at one time a doorway that was bricked over from the inside:

You can see what it used to look like in two of the shots posted above.

They're also patching things up to the left of that:

Last edited by peanut gallery; May 15, 2008 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 2:07 AM
BANNED

I walked by today and saw it live for the first time. I was really surprised by how small the lot is. They are working to stabilize the adjacent building but not much otherwise looked different from the last photos above.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 9:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Today, they are hauling out truck-loads of dirt again. So I guess they finished up the shoring of the neighbors, or at least to a point where they can continue with excavation for awhile.

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 7:08 PM
North Beach

Some kind of work on the building next door. This site is hard to photograph with the obstacles round the chain link fence.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 4:09 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Isn't that the truth? This site and Trinity make me feel like some kind of construction peeping Tom. I'm always peeking through small cracks or standing on tip-toe to see over or around something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive